Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I'm feeling a little anxious. I have just finished my first year of studying English Literature and Philosophy at Edinburgh, but I have had a pretty massive change of heart and decided that I really do not want to continue with this for another three years, and that I would much rather study film (which Edinburgh does not offer at undergraduate level).

Whilst I assume that it is possible to (relatively) easily switch course whilst staying at the same university, or to switch university whilst studying the same subject, I have no idea what to do about a whole new subject AND a whole new university at once.

Would there be any possible way of arranging this sort of thing without going through UCAS again?

And if I DO have to apply through UCAS again, would I be considered pretty low-priority compared to first-time applicants?

Thank you for all your help!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You would need to apply through UCAS. At this stage, your only option is Clearing. There is no such thing as a priority system like you describe.

ReputationRep:
    My experience of this with a close friend suggests that the best thing to do is withdraw and take a gap year while reapplying through UCAS. Judging by the offers he got, the unis he approached did not hold the false start against him at all (Birmingham, Nottingham, RHL, Loughborough and Leicester btw). There is nothing stopping you registering with UCAS and seeing what is available through Clearing but judging by all the stories there will not be much. If you are a strong candidate then reapplying in the usual way may mean you end up somewhere better suited to you, I'd think you'd not want to risk another year of being in the wrong situation. Student Finance allows for one false start but of course you incur an extra year of debt. My friend is using his gap year to earn money to offset this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pretty stuck)
    Drongo has given excellent advice here, if you are absolutely sure you don't want to stay on with the course you are doing.

I would just sound a note of caution. You should take a cool hard look at what it is you would like to do with this degree in film. Quite a lot of people would argue that your current degree would stand you in good stead (a) for pursuing postgraduate studies in film (b) in the job hunt more generally. I would suggest you look at alternatives at Edinburgh very carefully before making any final decisions.

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked at the other options available to you at Edinburgh? In 2nd year there is a course run by the Languages department on European Cinema and Film but is also open to students who don't study languages. Some of my friends took it when we were 2nd years and really really enjoyed it. Perhaps you could take this as your outside course next year? Also, have you taken a look at the 3rd/4th year English Lit courses, as a fair few of them are film orientated. I know people who have taken modules on New Zealand Cinema who study English Lit, they took some other film related ones too I think.

Obviously there is no point in carrying on with something if you're not enjoying it, but I think you should look at what you can do within the realms of English Lit and with your additional subject next year as you can still cover film within the degree you're already doing.

ReputationRep:
    You sound pretty stuck.

If you decide to transfer Uni, get in contact with the ones that interest you. If willing, some Universities will make you apply through UCAS, some will have different procedures.

Make sure you have a good think first though. It is a big decision.

ReputationRep:
    stay on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    Have you looked at the other options available to you at Edinburgh? In 2nd year there is a course run by the Languages department on European Cinema and Film but is also open to students who don't study languages. Some of my friends took it when we were 2nd years and really really enjoyed it. Perhaps you could take this as your outside course next year? Also, have you taken a look at the 3rd/4th year English Lit courses, as a fair few of them are film orientated. I know people who have taken modules on New Zealand Cinema who study English Lit, they took some other film related ones too I think.

Obviously there is no point in carrying on with something if you're not enjoying it, but I think you should look at what you can do within the realms of English Lit and with your additional subject next year as you can still cover film within the degree you're already doing.
    This is pretty good sound advice. Im afraid I have little to nothing to contribute to this thread, but that is good advice.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.