Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"You almost look like one of us" Watch

ReputationRep:
    "You almost look like one of us... almost Anglo Saxon" <<<< My grandmother to me. :rolleyes:

"One of us"... wtf am I, the black sheep?

Would you be annoyed?

Edit: I'm half Arab.

Edit edit: I come from a family of ridiculously blonde haired blue eyed peoples. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

Old people are generally conservative and not totally in control of what they say or think.

So no.

ReputationRep:
    i don't get it.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, she will be dead soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    Old people are generally conservative and not totally in control of what they say or think.

So no.

Yep plus slightly crazy. So no I wouldn't be offended either.

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't be annoyed. i'd laugh at her stupidity. but shes old fashioned so its not her fault. are you close to her?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be particularly bothered by it.

ReputationRep:
    No, I wouldn't, because I'm not one of them, and judging from that, glad not to be.

ReputationRep:
    I think it may have been a round about, not very PC way of saying that you dont much look like youre 'half Arab'

She makes it sound like youre another species lol. I honestly dont know how id feel. I can see it going either way.

I wouldn't be particularly offended because of her age and the context of the time in which she was raised so she wouldn't really be aware that she's being offensive.

Try not to worry about it because even my parents say some earth shattering things. It's just unbelievable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayman)
    i wouldn't be annoyed. i'd laugh at her stupidity. but shes old fashioned so its not her fault. are you close to her?
    This. She's probably a bit dosey and outdated.

I mean, "one of us" who uses that phrase now when referring to race?

ReputationRep:
    I get told by people that they swear that i was "white on the inside"

I wouldn't be too offended tbh, as someone said, old people tend to more conservative and less PC

ReputationRep:
    Lol I'm not bothered about it particularly, just bemused. Whatever, she's 80 in 3 months.

ReputationRep:
    Which **** put this in chat?

(Original post by sleekchic)
    I wouldn't be particularly offended because of her age and the context of the time in which she was raised so she wouldn't really be aware that she's being offensive.

Try not to worry about it because even my parents say some earth shattering things. It's just unbelievable.
    Well, they WERE indoctrinated in school that Britain was the best country on Earth and stuff like that :unsure:

(Original post by Lefty Leo)
    Well, they WERE indoctrinated in school that Britain was the best country on Earth and stuff like that :unsure:
    erm? :confused:

(Original post by sleekchic)
    erm? :confused:
    My pensioner neighbour goes on about how in school they were taught that Britain was the best country, the British were the best people etc (back in the 30s i'm guessing - she's over eighty now).

I don't know if that was a general policy of schooling or just the result of biased teachers :unsure:

No I'd not be annoyed...

What people think I look like isn't something I'd take to heart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayman)
    Why aren't I in your sig anymore? Gutted

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.