Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    our common room is a bit rubbish, so you may want to take this as an example of what not to do but anyway... we have a few comfy chairs (all of which are permanantly reserved for the "popular" people) some more not comfy chairs- most of which are broken in one way or another, a few tables, a vending machine that sells coke and nothing else, some computers... and the 6th form canteen's in the same room aswell so we can get food/coffee/brownies etc etc. And that is it. Although rumour has it that this summer it will be getting repainted, and possibly have some more comfy chairs- once again for the "popular" people- brilliant...

ReputationRep:
    Sofas are a must have! And vending machines with decent food in them. And an area with tables & chairs so people can work if they want to.

Mine has two vending machines and some tables and chairs.

Well, I think it has a bin as well, actually, so it's not all that bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommm)
    Mine has two vending machines and some tables and chairs.

Well, I think it has a bin as well, actually, so it's not all that bad.
    More than ours had. :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    We have an in-built Starbucks cafe, courtesy of the Common Room chef. Seriously.

ReputationRep:
    Our sixth form has about 500 students and the sixth form is about the size of 3 classrooms (with a 'quiet' room the size of 2 classrooms adjacent). We have a cafe and coffee machine but not enough space for all the students.

ReputationRep:
    mine has a few widescreen TVs, a cafe and a load of sofas and footrests, tables, chairs some computers coffee machine, vending machine. Its pretty good to be truthful.

ReputationRep:
    I think really, the most important thing is to keep it clean. Our common room was pretty comfy, good chairs, good decoration and stuff, but people made it crappy by not caring about keeping it clean - they would just drop their food packets etc, when there was a bin right there. It annoyed me so much.

I agree with a few other people in this thread, that XBoxes etc are to be discouraged. If you're going to play about when you've got A-Levels to study for, you can **** off out of sixth form.

So really, you gotta be vigilant.

ReputationRep:
    6th formers respect a common room?! Never going to happen.

I'd say the most important thing is to put the chairs in a way so that are there lots of different little areas. People have their groups and that's the easiest way to sort it out without having lots of different rooms. Although, to be fair, my 6th form did end up turning all the 6th form study rooms into common rooms, so even that's not perfect.

ReputationRep:
    The one I'm going to has padded benches, and windows.

ReputationRep:
    banter

I liked my common room. Half of it was completely relaxing with extreeeeemely comfy chairs.
    The other half had some desks for people who wanted to chill but still catch up on some work.

There was also plenty of computers.
    And cool posters on the walls.
    And music was allowed to be played quite loud.

ReputationRep:
    Essentials: Comfy seats, lots of space :yep:
    Less essential: Some sort of entertainment - hi-fi, TV (Jeremy Kyle kept me entertained during countless free periods), pool table - though ours got taken away due to some early evening sexual shananigans (I kid you not, despite the name :lolwut:)

(Original post by e-lover)
    banter
    LOL. This is also true.

ReputationRep:
    The common room at my 6th form was kinda good. We had loads of comfy chairs and then some normal desks and chairs for those who want to work. We had our own little kitchen and a computer corners and then had music and a whiteboard for notices and such. Then there was a football table and a pool table (banned from playing during lessons though). With all that our room was k. Just make sure you have plenty of bins, rubbish was always a problem in our room.

ReputationRep:
    All we got was some chairs and a notice board in ours :sad:. Apparently common rooms distract us from our studies :|.

I would say vending machines, a tv or radio (i wouldn't say both, otherwise you'd get some arguments over noise and who wants what on), coffee/tea/soup machine or a kettle, microwave, toaster, some tables and chairs, sofas and maybe a games console.

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of comfortable seating is the main thing.

Ours didnt have a coffee machine, toaster or fridge like you lot and it was fine, they could just easily pop along to tuck and get something in free periods.

We had a table tennis table and table football aswell. A pool table would've been nice but we had alot of people in years 12 and 13 at my school and it would've taken hours to get a go lol

ReputationRep:
    Lots of easy pussy :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VanillaCat)
    I think really, the most important thing is to keep it clean. Our common room was pretty comfy, good chairs, good decoration and stuff, but people made it crappy by not caring about keeping it clean - they would just drop their food packets etc, when there was a bin right there. It annoyed me so much.

I agree with a few other people in this thread, that XBoxes etc are to be discouraged. If you're going to play about when you've got A-Levels to study for, you can **** off out of sixth form.

So really, you gotta be vigilant.
    But people do manage to have fun and still pass their A-levels. Just because people have A-levels, doesn't mean that they can't play games consoles or shouldn't be in 6th form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blurb123)
    Good ideas....

only problem is we have a 6th form who seem to enjoy throwing chairs around etc,

we have a flat screen tv...some vaguely comfy chairs, the walls are blue, its either too cold or too hot, no blinds so the lighting is poor.

The coffee machine might work...not sure we are realdy to delve into the worlds of pool tables and xboxs just yet
    Haha, our common room sounds exactly like the one you're describing. It can be boring, but since the purpose of a common room is to relax, do a bit of work and chat with friends, it does its job well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.