Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toxik_apple)
    We have sofas, table and chairs, a café, tv/radio and lots of speakers, it's big and open as well...it's really comfortable, but we don't have tvs, PS2 or Xbox or pooltables or arcade machines (whoever does is either lying or in a realy expensive private school because no way would a school provide such s*** and immature things for kids who are doing their A levels and meant to study...ramble over). We're not encouraged to skip lessons and stay in there see, when we have frees we're meant to go there and study and snack and listen to music.
    We are in no way a private school but our common room has a football table, vending machines, a couple of tvs (everyone bring their own games consoles), computers, cd players and a kitchen. We have a quiet study area but mostly the common room is used to relax and hang out with friends and the teachers agree with this!

ReputationRep:
    We didn't have one. Students were not to be relaxing in school. There was an open plan computer room with tables in the middle that was heavily monitored and thus kept near to silent, and definitely only for working in. On the plus side Sainsbury's was 5 minutes away.

I would have appreciated kettles and microwaves (as suitable for around 600 students). And an indoor area where food and conversation was permitted that wasn't shared with the lower school, possibly even with chairs that were pleasant to sit on for more than 10 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halfoflessthan50p)
    not a microwave. people will put shoes in it
    We used to have a microwave that people put CDs and grapes in...so they got rid of it. Then we had a kettle, but people spilt sugar on the counter, and we got ants. Some of them got into the kettle, but managed not to drown. So I boiled them.

Then they got us another microwave and said "Be nice, and you might get a fridge!"

ReputationRep:
    some peoples common rooms sound so much better than mine xD
    ours is literally a massive room above the six form classrooms with a football table and some mildly comfy chairs xD
    And a little canteeny-sop thing in the corner that never seems to be open :/
    FUNFUNFUN

ReputationRep:
    You people have a common room? We didn't :no: just a library and a canteen neither properly filled that void.

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut: your common rooms sound AMAZING. I would've failed my A Levels if I had your common rooms...

All we had was tables and chairs on one side, and comfy chairs on the other. And a couple of tvs..not for watching though..they were an electronic notice board basically :facepalm:

I always wanted a kettle in mine so yeh...a kettle :grin:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VanillaCat)
    I agree with a few other people in this thread, that XBoxes etc are to be discouraged. If you're going to play about when you've got A-Levels to study for, you can **** off out of sixth form.
    Nonsense. If you're in sixth form, you should be able to organise your time for yourself and know whether you can afford to have time off. You shouldn't have to be told to work, any more than you should not be allowed to play.

In sixth form it's you that should make the decisions, and you in turn will receive the consequences of them.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, maybe a pool table, a foosball table, a flat screen TV hung on the wall to watch DVDs.

We have all this, but we still hardly go there, it's boring really. We always just go out during breaks.

ReputationRep:
    make sure it doesn't end up just being for one group of people, like ours. I'd never set foot in the place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nigel_s)
    Cool people :yep: That's why mine was so awesome :teeth:

Seriously, what I think you should do is regularly move the chairs or beanbags around to encourage people to not just mix with their friends. It's seriously spin people out and get people talking to other people. I don't mean move the chairs when people are sitting on them, but every couple of days, after everyone's gone home, rearrange. It'd be awesome.
    How is moving the chairs after everyone's gone home going to make people sit with new people? They'll just sit with their mates... in different places. :lolwut:

Ours had a coffee machine that didn't work, two vending machines until Jamie 'I'm a prick' Oliver got his hands on them :shifty:, enough chairs for about 75% of the sixth form and a few tables. Oh, and free newspapers.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well, we have a table football in our sixth form and that's quite fun. Aside from that and a TV and music system, it's pretty rubbish because a lot of the chairs are falling apart and it's always very cramped. I think a good sixth form common room should be comfortable but definitely big enough for the number of students at the sixth form, unlike ours.

ReputationRep:
    We have (had really, stupid muppets :mad2: ) computers and a kitchenette.

ReputationRep:
    Chairs, tables, vending machine, a tele and maybe a coffee machine (although this is sometimes available in the canteen).

It's ALL you need!!!

Why the heck would people want a toaster, kettle, microwave, pool table, ps2, xbox and all that stuff. It's a sixth form, not your Dad's play room. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Our sixth form common room is pretty good and it has:

-Chairs
    -Tables
    -coffee tables
    -Comfy chairs and sofas
    -fussball table
    -pool table
    -Vending machine
    -T.V. (I didn't discover this till recently and its been a year!)
    -A laptop cabinet
    -a deli bar w/ coffee/hot chocolate/tea etc machine, microwave, kettle, toaster etc etc but we get served food there from breaktime onwards. It serves hot food, salads sandwiches snacks etc although there is someone there who does that, we don't do it ourselves unless she isn't there to. Thats for sixth form only.

ReputationRep:
    I love our common room!

We have like tables and chairs in the middle, with comfier chairs around the outside and like...coffee tables. We have a big screen attached to the computer for notices and an ipod dock. Then we have computers in the corner for people to work. We also have a pool table and a table football table. Then we have a kitchen with microwave, toaster, toastie maker, kettle and a fridge!

We're moving into a new sixth form block though. Goodness knows what it has in it, but i think it'll be good!

ReputationRep:
    Pole dancers, a bar, a poker table, cigarette machine and an ATM.

ReputationRep:
    We have sofas, chairs, tables, arcade machines, speakers from the SU to play radio/cd's, pool tables, table tennis, xbox or ps2 - im not sure which. Lots of vending macines! Used to have a fussball table too, but it disappeared.
    Umm... a cafe, cantine in the next room. cash machine...
    Our new president is looking to change it though, and im best mates with him so im guna suggest lots :awesome:
    ... 1st suggestion - better sandwiches in the cafe. They suck at the moment!

ReputationRep:
    Ours has literally nothing, just some broken tables and chairs

Everything got taken out, computers, sound system, microwave, coffee machine, toaster, fridge, kettle, after they were vandalised.

We did however have Bin Man :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Radio, vending machines, loads of comfy chairs, tables, a wall with lots of photos from college activities, bins with flashing arrows pointing at them so people dont litter, I would say have a TV but that would be too distracting.

ReputationRep:
    Ours is good and it hasss:
    tables and chairs
    a kettle
    a microwave
    a fridge
    an i pod dock for people to play music
    aaand bits of the walls have been painted by different 6th formers over the years with pictures which makes it nice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.