Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    We didn't have a common room. Pfft.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    No "closed spaces" where cliques will develop - this'll hurt the overall development of the common room. As others have said, a coffee machine or a cafe/snack area, some sort of light entertainment like pool tables often gets everyone in the area involved (normally to laugh at the poor shots that are taken!)

ReputationRep:
    Well ours was a somewhat larger sixth form than the ones being described here, but our "concourse" as it was called was a three floor thing.

Ground floor had student services, then a load of tables with chairs (where we used to hang around), and then a canteen with food, drink and coffee machine (which was open from about half 8 through to last block).

First floor had loads of sofas and tables, with a cafe and a big screen TV (normally played dance music videos, but also had sports events on if they were during the day)

Finally the mezzanine had a load of chairs and tables

So while this is a seperate sixth form in the middle of town, but my main point is you need lots of chairs and tables to play cards, eat or just chat. Also some form of catering facility is a must. The big screen TV was good, but I dont think it's a necessitry.

ReputationRep:
    My one has battered tables and chairs. Nothing else. Sucks.

ReputationRep:
    Ours has:

bean bags, sofas, tables etc
    a fish tank with fishes
    tv with freeview
    it's own seperate canteen area to the main school
    table football and table tennis
    vending machines
    coffee machine etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    We have an in-built Starbucks cafe, courtesy of the Common Room chef. Seriously.
    Oh that is soooo not fair! Our common room needs this! We're all lovers of Starbucks!

We have walls covered with posters, chairs, a small kitchen, with microwave, fridge, kettle etc, massive white board, and also a quiet study room (which needs laptops!).

ReputationRep:
    Wow you guys are really lucky! Our 'common room' is you can call it that i quite **** tbh compared to what all of you have got. All it is is loads of wooden benches in a room which has a REAL tree in the middle as well as a stream (random i know). Thing is its horrible to sit in as its so loud because of the really high ceiling. I cant ever imagine having a pool table or xboxs as there is just to many students, around 1700. Doesnt all of the stuff get wrecked?

ReputationRep:
    you guys are insane lol, all we have is chairs and some tables. I wish I was joking :/ Some people bring in their own speakers for music though

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.