Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone ever given up a course with the OU?

If so what happened/was involved?

ReputationRep:
    Why do you ask? Would I be wrong in assuming you want to give up/change courses?

I did so - by telephoning the helpline. If you do so before the start date - you should be able to get all your money back, if it's after the start date you may be able to get some money back.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm doing two 30 point courses (not specifically towards a degree, more for my own personal interest) and I'm finding it a bit tough to juggle both courses that have TMAs due in at the same time. Have some personal issues at the moment which are making studying hard to focus on and I was just wondering what would happen if I decided to drop one. I'm starting my degree course in October so this wouldn't really affect that. Working full time and personal difficulties are just making it all quite stressful.

ReputationRep:
    Have you used the substitution... or is there one? I.e. on the courses I've done, you can skip one tma and substitute the mark with the highest mark on another tma. I don't know, but you could do that with both courses, that would take the heat off and you could get a head start at a more lesurily pace with the blocks for the next tma.

I'd phone the OU, they must be really experienced with people struggling, and they'll want you to succeed.

ReputationRep:
    I did end up dropping MST121 last year. It was part way through and I just let my tutor know that I had fallen too far behind and family commitments meant I wouldn't be unable to complete the course. Using the substitution score is good advice if it is possible for your course, the first thing you should do is contact your tutor .

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys. I'll see how things go over the next few weeks and decide what to do. Neither course is towards a degree, so there's no stress in that respect but I'll feel dissapointed with myself if I do drop one. Health comes first though.
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Poll
What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.