The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Lefty Leo
Then the only stopgap to a fascist government is the queen :yep:

If they had a legislative majority then technically they could get rid of whatever powers she does have and appoint them to the executive. Although in reality, this is the case in all but legality. The Queen goes along with the government.

Probably a bigger barrier would be the Lords, actually, as they're not elected and therefore are less under the control of the executive. A fascist government would either have to really push through their policies or legislate to remove the Lords, which probably wouldn't happen even with a legislative majority. There'd be public uproar.
imomo16
If they had a legislative majority then technically they could get rid of whatever powers she does have and appoint them to the executive. Although in reality, this is the case in all but legality. The Queen goes along with the government.

Probably a bigger barrier would be the Lords, actually, as they're not elected and therefore are less under the control of the executive. A fascist government would either have to really push through their policies or legislate to remove the Lords, which probably wouldn't happen even with a legislative majority. There'd be public uproar.

While taking into Brown's over the top, promise everything and achieve little nature, i think that was one of the big "promises" he made post Expenses Scandal?

I don't know what the Tory response to that was, however, and unless he pushes it through fairly quickly ..

And i don't know about the public uproar bit ... the Brits are generally known for obeying their government, not for violent protests.
Reply 162
Woop88
Is the daily mail a good news paper or is it fully of rubbish of stories that are not true??

It's very sensationalist, right-wing and of low intellectual quality.
Reply 163
Lefty Leo
While taking into Brown's over the top, promise everything and achieve little nature, i think that was one of the big "promises" he made post Expenses Scandal?

I don't know what the Tory response to that was, however, and unless he pushes it through fairly quickly ..

That was Lord's reform, to make some of them elected, rather than abolishing appointed Lords completely.
I'm fairly sure all the parties are concurrent on this issue.
I read The Independent.
I do hate being on topic when no-one else is, but...

The Guardian probably, but I am not a big newspaper fan so that's hardly often at all. I like The Weekend best that comes on a Saturday. :smile:
The independant. I'd read the guardian if I could get a small copy instead of the big arse thing they have in the shops near me.
Gordon Brown and his troupe of lefty-leaning clowns are the cause of Broken Britain. It's political correctness gone mad; I'm not going to be told what to do in my own country.
I tend to stay away from papers, but occasionally i'll pick up The Guardian as i find it's usually full of more interesting things than most. I like picking up the Manchester Evening News if i'm about the city centre as it's free and something to read when travelling through.
The Independent > The Guardian > The Times > The Sun > dog **** > Mein Kampf > Daily Mail
The London Paper.
imomo16
That was Lord's reform, to make some of them elected, rather than abolishing appointed Lords completely.
I'm fairly sure all the parties are concurrent on this issue.

So wait, couldn't the BNP just pack the lords with BNP pols to get their way? :s-smilie:
I read The Telegraph but it's not up there for some reason?
Reply 173
Lefty Leo
So wait, couldn't the BNP just pack the lords with BNP pols to get their way? :s-smilie:

They'd have to be elected by the public if that's the way things are going. I'm fairly sure Lords at the moment have tenure so they couldnt remove them legally. Again, this would cause major uproar if they attempted to.
imomo16
They'd have to be elected by the public if that's the way things are going. I'm fairly sure Lords at the moment have tenure so they couldnt remove them legally. Again, this would cause major uproar if they attempted to.

Well Fascists usually enjoy mass popular support and can always muster up a crowd of thugs.

I don't think uproar would prevent them tbh.

The British police and army have always been loyal to the state. I don't think this would change with a BNP government.
Hectristic
I read The Telegraph but it's not up there for some reason?

Come on... With such popular newspapers as The Asian Age being included, can you really expect there to be room for The Telegraph? :o:
Reply 176
Lefty Leo
Well Fascists usually enjoy mass popular support and can always muster up a crowd of thugs.

I don't think uproar would prevent them tbh.

The British police and army have always been loyal to the state. I don't think this would change with a BNP government.

The general British public are far from loyal. Bearing in mind our current electoral system does not require an elective majority to gain majority status in parliament, I'd say they'd have a rather large problem on their hands.
The Guardian
Times as no Telegraph option :frown:

Daily Fail is fail.
imomo16
The general British public are far from loyal. Bearing in mind our current electoral system does not require an elective majority to gain majority status in parliament, I'd say they'd have a rather large problem on their hands.

Maybe, but the last widepsread bit of unrest i can think of would be the various Suffragette uprisings.

Latest

Trending

Trending