Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well I definately want to do research at univeristy because I love my subject of Maths and really can't see me doing anything else. However in Investment Banking you get quants who have very numerical backgrounds, mainly people from research at univeristies. Basically I have heard they devise original mathematical methods and models. This appeals to me quite a lot since it is similar to research as it requires original work and obviously it pays well. I would only consider this only after doing a research degree in Mathematics obviously , however the pay afterwards is poor from then on so I would be looking into something like this after a research degree. What are the chances of getting in and how competitive is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gr8)
    Well I definitely want to do research at univeristy because I love my subject of Maths and really can't see me doing anything else. However in Investment Banking you get quants who have very numerical backgrounds, mainly people from research at univeristies. Basically I have heard they devise original mathematical methods and models. This appeals to me quite a lot since it is similar to research as it requires original work and obviously it pays well. I would only consider this only after doing a research degree in Mathematics obviously , however the pay afterwards is poor from then on so I would be looking into something like this after a research degree. What are the chances of getting in and how competitive is it?
    Message user Cexy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teenage Pirate)
    Message user Cexy.
    what do you think of the chances though?

ReputationRep:
    We know nothing about you - how are we supposed to pass comment?

On the little information you've given, all I can say is most quants at banks have done at least an MSc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benh842)
    We know nothing about you - how are we supposed to pass comment?

On the little information you've given, all I can say is most quants at banks have done at least an MSc.
    Well what information do you want?:confused: I have pretty much stated I want to do a PhD in maths at uni and hopefully after research, going into an IB would be for me, doing a quantitive role. I just want to know how competitive it is.

ReputationRep:
    Since they mainly recruit PhDs for quant positions, obviously you've got a chance...
    If you had some work experience, itd be better also...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PierreSonne)
    Since they mainly recruit PhDs for quant positions, obviously you've got a chance...
    If you had some work experience, itd be better also...
    yeah but would they recruit from the BEST uni's like oxbridge, I mean I go to Sussex, would I have much of a chance against people from better uni's, I could always do a Phd at a better uni, where would you recommend may I ask?

ReputationRep:
    If one can believe the target school theory, the IB's targets are: Oxbrige, LSE, Imperial, Warwick and UCL.

ReputationRep:
    If one can believe the target school theory, the IB's targets are: Oxbrige, LSE, Imperial, Warwick and UCL.
    At a graduate Analyst level, they do tend to focus (i.e. do not exclusively recruit from) from the above - at a PhD level opportunities broaden.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BetterThanHeaven)
    At a graduate Analyst level, they do tend to focus (i.e. do not exclusively recruit from) from the above - at a PhD level opportunities broaden.
    by what lengths do you mean broaden may I ask?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gr8)
    by what lengths do you mean broaden may I ask?
    just try to get the best school you can... then you'll see

ReputationRep:
    what?? you're not even at uni yet?
    you joker

ReputationRep:
    what?? you're not even at uni yet?
    you joker
    what is wrong with that?:mad:

ReputationRep:
    This thread is a joke.

If it can't be deleted, can it at least by merged into the appropriate sticky, please.

ReputationRep:
    there should be a seperate thread where they merge all the trash so we can look back at it in the future for kicks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.