Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8146584.stm

Are they being serious about this and trying to say he's sexist?

Caroline Flint said this.

I don't think he trusted me and we never got a chance to really get to develop our relationship.
    I think that's for the best Caroline. Gordon's married.

On a serious note, should there be women in the cabinet? Were 'Blair's babes' a representation of his charisma that Gordon doesn't have?

ReputationRep:
    Of all the words used to describe Gordon Brown, I never expected 'laddish'.

ReputationRep:
    Caroline was just having a "hissy fit".

ReputationRep:
    Pathetic. Their most serious accusation is that the PM is "laddish", and gave a higher profile to the Home Secretary than the Europe Minister (who does what again?). No patience whatsoever, no collective responsibility, no recognition of a how a Cabinet needs to be run. If I was PM, I'd be seriously wary about having any women in my cabinet for fear of more dumb feminism if things don't go their way.

The actions of those women have put back the arguments for more women in power by two decades.

ReputationRep:
    On an even more serious note... Should there be men in the cabinet?

ReputationRep:
    after the behavior of flint and blears can you blame Brown for not wanting women in his cabinet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Square)
    after the behavior of flint and blears can you blame Brown for not wanting women in his cabinet?
    This is true. Blairite Blears, especially, was a nasty piece of work who couldn't directly answer a question; and I can always remember Flint behaving like a child on Question Time when a member of the audience disagreed with her. Harriet Harman (and even Patricia Hewitt who is, admittedly, mentioned in the article) was a much better role model.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Square)
    Er, yeah, you can. Honestly, why when women do something no one likes it's suddenly okay to put it down to the fact that they're women and say utter rubbish like this? How after the behaviour of Tony Blair and John Prescott can you still want men in the Cabinet? I mean after the behaviour of that Keith Vaz bloke with his expenses claims can you blame anyone for not wanting Asians in the Commons?

Anyway, the fact that "Blair's babes" were pretty much a representation of Blair's charisma, a media stunt, thoughtless automatons with lipstick smiles, cardboard cutouts there to show off Nulab's groovy progressiveness (babes, for ****'s sake! Was that supposed to be ironic), rather than people whose primary selling point was their capability as politicians, really tells us everything you need to know here. They were token women. Good to know it's still a man's world.

Besides it doesn't appear to be just Blears and Flint anyway. Blears is evil incarnate and Flint is an idiot. This "more women in Parliament!" stuff has to stop though. It is bloody annoying. Women aren't rubbish for being women but they're not automatically worthwhile for being women either.

Urgh, I can't stand Caroline Flint. If she really wanted to be taken seriously and not seen as eye-candy for the Cabinet, then she shouldn't have dressed in such a slutty manner.

ReputationRep:
    littleshambles, I think he was largely joking in the way he said it. Ultimately, getting rid of Blears and Flint wasn't a bad idea, but they're just throwing back some sour grapes now and using the 'sexism' card. I wouldn't describe Brown as 'laddish', nor do I believe that Harman would put up with it. Getting more women MPs into Parliament (whilst, I have no doubt, has been achieved to some extent) is difficult. There needs to be a sufficient number of women interested in politics in the first place (I have no idea whether the number of females is the same as the number of males). Then they need to be elected. The process is, to a great extent, independent of the MPs currently in Parliament.

ReputationRep:
    Bet he's quite the lad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melancholy)
    littleshambles, I think he was largely joking in the way he said it. Ultimately, getting rid of Blears and Flint wasn't a bad idea, but they're just throwing back some sour grapes now and using the 'sexism' card. I wouldn't describe Brown as 'laddish', nor do I believe that Harman would put up with it.
    Maybe, and I agree that this is probably bitterness about being thrown out more than anything. But when a thread starts with the "serious question" of whether women should be in the cabinet [and continues with the undoubtedly also jokey accusation that Flint shouldn't have dressed like a slut if she wanted to be taken seriously (!!!!!!!!!!!!!)] it makes me reappraise my humourometer. Things that once would have been obvious jokes become... Perhaps not jokes. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Considering their track record, one could argue that women should not be in the cabinet.

I don't think it's a coincidence that nearly all of the female cabinet members within the last year have been despised and largely incompetent: Jacqui Smith, Hazel Blears, Caroline Flint, Harriet Harman, the list goes on.

Far too emotional, and allowing idealism to take precedence over rationality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    Maybe, and I agree that this is probably bitterness about being thrown out more than anything. But when a thread starts with the "serious question" of whether women should be in the cabinet [and continues with the undoubtedly also jokey accusation that Flint shouldn't have dressed like a slut if she wanted to be taken seriously (!!!!!!!!!!!!!)] it makes me reappraise my humourometer. Things that once would have been obvious jokes become... Perhaps not jokes. :dontknow:
    Yes, you're right, imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph90)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8146584.stm

Are they being serious about this and trying to say he's sexist?

Caroline Flint said this.

I think that's for the best Caroline. Gordon's married.

On a serious note, should there be women in the cabinet? Were 'Blair's babes' a representation of his charisma that Gordon doesn't have?
    Definitely...get Julia Goldsworthy in there...

In the cases of Blears and Flint, they deserved to be sidelined and eventually sacked based on their lack of political merit - for them to say it is sexist is to demonstrate they are ignorant of their own incompetence.

ReputationRep:
    It's too east to say it's sexism. I don't think they're as good as Balls.

DO YOU SEE WHAT I DID!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    Er, yeah, you can. Honestly, why when women do something no one likes it's suddenly okay to put it down to the fact that they're women and say utter rubbish like this? How after the behaviour of Tony Blair and John Prescott can you still want men in the Cabinet? I mean after the behaviour of that Keith Vaz bloke with his expenses claims can you blame anyone for not wanting Asians in the Commons?

Anyway, the fact that "Blair's babes" were pretty much a representation of Blair's charisma, a media stunt, thoughtless automatons with lipstick smiles, cardboard cutouts there to show off Nulab's groovy progressiveness (babes, for ****'s sake! Was that supposed to be ironic), rather than people whose primary selling point was their capability as politicians, really tells us everything you need to know here. They were token women. Good to know it's still a man's world.

Besides it doesn't appear to be just Blears and Flint anyway. Blears is evil incarnate and Flint is an idiot. This "more women in Parliament!" stuff has to stop though. It is bloody annoying. Women aren't rubbish for being women but they're not automatically worthwhile for being women either.
    If you'd care to cast your mind back to the 1980's where a women had a much more important role, you could say we're learning from example.

ReputationRep:
    The whole culture in the current government is wrong. But it's been the same since Margaret Thatcher, really.

The government cares more about its own skin and ignores the will of the public and other political parties.

But New Labour has taken underhanded and hypocritical to a whole new level. :mad:

I just hope they ******* go soon, although the new Tory government will be just as conceited and arrogant. I guarantee it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.