The Student Room Group

Would you split up with your gf over this? STD?

pleease keep anon.

Ok my ex has just rang and told me he cheated on me when we were together and now has clamydia and I need to get tested. I'm in a relationship with a new guy at the moment and if I have it, there's probably now a chance he has it.

He's the most amazing guy though and I feel sick to my stomach at the thought of him breaking up with me over it. Me and my ex were both clean when we went into the relationship so he obviously got it on the girl he cheated on me with so its not even my fault but still....I feel awful. I'm so worried I'm going to lose my new boyfriend.

How shall I approach it? And would you break up with someone over this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well obviously the first step is just to get yourself checked. Don't start panicking because if you don't have it then neither does your boyfriend so there's nothing to worry about. If you do have it because of your idiot of an ex boyfriend then it's still not your fault, so if your boyfriend loves you then he will realise this and thus not split up with you....
If I liked the girl probably not. Would be pretty pissed off though. Since he is in a relationship with you at the moment and I'm assuming there is no chance he would cheat on you wait till you get your results, and don't have sex with him (obv). If you do have it meet him in person and be honest.
If it was my boyfriend I wouldn't break up with him.

If I were your boyfriend I'd give you hell for months though.

[EDIT: Your not you're :facepalm:]
Reply 4
:frown: Oh this sucks. I'm going to get checked out tomorrow at the Doctors. I don't know if I should mention it to him though or wait till I get my results?

I don't have any symtoms. I went to the doctors last week cos my urine was really cloudy but she said it was probably just down to a bad diet or not enough water. But I've just typed cloudy urine and syptoms of clamydia into google and it came up saying it was a symptom :frown: I've had none of the others though, like unusual discharge or burning or stinging etc.
Anonymous

I've been in a similar situation, my gf was honest with me and told me if I wanted to break up with her over it she would understand. I chose not to as I knew it wasn't her fault (in the end it was a relatively minor disease which was trivially curable with anti-biotics, but I think even if it was something more serious I would have made the same choice).
I'd wait until you got your results back, and then just explain the situ to him xx
Reply 7
why would he break up with you? You've done nothing wrong! It all depends how long you have been with this new guy for. If it is a new thing, I would go with the what ".x.jen.x." suggests. If you have been with him for a few months, I would be straight with him. Tell him what what happened and that you are going to get tested. Otherwise he will wonder why you are acting weird and not wanting to sleep with him
Anonymous
:frown: Oh this sucks. I'm going to get checked out tomorrow at the Doctors. I don't know if I should mention it to him though or wait till I get my results?

I don't have any symtoms. I went to the doctors last week cos my urine was really cloudy but she said it was probably just down to a bad diet or not enough water. But I've just typed cloudy urine and syptoms of clamydia into google and it came up saying it was a symptom :frown: I've had none of the others though, like unusual discharge or burning or stinging etc.

Online diagnosis will always make you more paranoid.

How long will it take to get back your results? When I had this situ, I didn't tell any of my partners until I'd been checked and had the results back, as I didn't want to create any unnecessary fuss if it came back all clear. You're lucky that if you've caught it early, it's really easy to clear up for the both of you; it just needs a course of antibiotics.

Don't worry too much atm, just wait til you have your results back and then let people know if you need to :hugs:
Reply 9
Sakura-Chan

If I were your boyfriend I'd give you hell for months though.

Why? How is it possibly the OPs fault that her boyfriend cheated and got chlamydia? And that she only just found out now...
Anonymous
pleease keep anon.

Ok my ex has just rang and told me he cheated on me when we were together and now has clamydia and I need to get tested. I'm in a relationship with a new guy at the moment and if I have it, there's probably now a chance he has it.

He's the most amazing guy though and I feel sick to my stomach at the thought of him breaking up with me over it. Me and my ex were both clean when we went into the relationship so he obviously got it on the girl he cheated on me with so its not even my fault but still....I feel awful. I'm so worried I'm going to lose my new boyfriend.

I have been told that I'm as blunt as they come ( no puns whatsoever), but I suggest that u go forward and talk to ur chum about it. I'm sure he'll understand and from what you have written about him, he might even just laugh on it and give u a big hug. I mean, ain't it stupid to destroy something u value just bcoz of a bug? N he doesn't sound like a stupid person to me. Mrvr, u have no fault and so stop blaming urself... U might also start thinking bout rubbers n nt just rely on pils even wen ur in a relationship. Bonne chance!
Reply 11
psychocustard
Online diagnosis will always make you more paranoid.

How long will it take to get back your results? When I had this situ, I didn't tell any of my partners until I'd been checked and had the results back, as I didn't want to create any unnecessary fuss if it came back all clear. You're lucky that if you've caught it early, it's really easy to clear up for the both of you; it just needs a course of antibiotics.

Don't worry too much atm, just wait til you have your results back and then let people know if you need to :hugs:

I know. I typed in normal symtoms and cloudy urine wasn't on there but when I typed cloudy urine with clamydia LOADS of things came up. Which is that whats making me worry.

I think it'll take about a week because that's how long they took last time.
impervious
If I liked the girl probably not. Would be pretty pissed off though. Since he is in a relationship with you at the moment and I'm assuming there is no chance he would cheat on you wait till you get your results, and don't have sex with him (obv). If you do have it meet him in person and be honest.

Boy! don they have rubbers in Britain?:rolleyes:
Reply 13
For women there is often no symptoms (i didn't have any, yes i've had an STD :woo: ) i had to tell my bf at the time and he was fine about it. If this guy breaks up with you then he's not worth the time of day. STDs can happen to anyone, you can still catch some when you use a condom and unfortunately in this day and age they are common but easily treatable. Bite the bullet, tell him there is a chance and get yourself tested ASAP. Good luck :smile:
Reply 14
un_gars_romatinque

You can still catch Chlamydia when you use a condom.
Reply 15
Trigger
For women there is often no symptoms (i didn't have any, yes i've had an STD :woo: ) i had to tell my bf at the time and he was fine about it. If this guy breaks up with you then he's not worth the time of day. STDs can happen to anyone, you can still catch some when you use a condom and unfortunately in this day and age they are common but easily treatable. Bite the bullet, tell him there is a chance and get yourself tested ASAP. Good luck :smile:

Oh this makes me feel better. Did you give it to him? How did you approach it with him?
Reply 16
Anonymous

I know. I typed in normal symtoms and cloudy urine wasn't on there but when I typed cloudy urine with clamydia LOADS of things came up. Which is that whats making me worry.

I think it'll take about a week because that's how long they took last time.

Just to add at my NHS sexual clinic i went in knowing there was a chance i had it so they tested and treated me for it on the same day. It took 3 weeks to find out that i had had it though.
Reply 17
You can get those chlamydia tests that are a bit like a pregnancy test now cant you? i saw an advert for it in cosmo this month!

And i don't want to worry you but most people don't know they have chlamydia which is why it can go untreated, so definately get checked.

However, do not jump to the most worrying conclusion. i'm sure if my boyfriend told me the same thing i'd be understanding as it isn't his fault.. and neither is it yours.. just your dickhead of an ex. Just make sure you are completely honest and upfront!!!

Good luck love!
un_gars_romatinque

Funnily enough they are not 100% effective against STD's. Better to take no chances.
Reply 19
Anonymous
Oh this makes me feel better. Did you give it to him? How did you approach it with him?
We had only been together a few weeks so i text him when i found out and said id understand if he didn't want to be with me. I also explained how i had come to get it and he was luckily fine. We broke up a few weeks later but that was mostly because he drove me mad :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending