Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been browsing universities and I came accross UWE, which looks brilliant, especially the accomodation & student village. However, I'm no expert, but they do seem pretty pricey. I guess this is to be expected, they do look very high quality. But how do y'all pay for it? Do local jobs cover the costs? Do student loans cover it or what? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Lucky I'm gonna get maximum loans and grants as well as a bursary of £1000 from UWE. So this should pay for it. I'm definitely going to have to get a job whilst at uni though! But don't let the price put you off, even if you cannot afford the Student Village there are many other accommodation options available and they too are high quality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marcus H)
    I've been browsing universities and I came accross UWE, which looks brilliant, especially the accomodation & student village. However, I'm no expert, but they do seem pretty pricey. I guess this is to be expected, they do look very high quality. But how do y'all pay for it? Do local jobs cover the costs? Do student loans cover it or what? Thanks.

My student loan just covers the student village fees...
    I don't get anything else so I will be paying for food, going out etc. using my savings from working over the summer!
    I've heard there's loads of local jobs too if you needed one, just gotta budget I guess! x

ReputationRep:
    There is a job shop on frenchay campus and there are lots of jobs onsite with the student unions in the bars etc.
    money wise it is expensive, but so is renting your own place, paying all the bills, gym membership and a year's bus travel on uwe buses (which is all included in the rent price on frenchay) and it is much more convenient to live onsite with all the things you need for study a short walk away and so many buses into town and onsite events in the evenings/nights
    if i could have afforded it i would have gone into halls
    i spent my first year renting a room in a house for £56 /week took my whole loan and worked 21.5 hrs per week

ReputationRep:
    I think those saying 'theres loads of jobs' are being a bit wide of the mark. For months now the jobshop has only been full of jobs youd need to travel to or that are ridiculous hours for someone at uni to work. UWE does have great jobs itself but they come out and are gone within days. Its not impossible but you have to be far more vigilant and unfortunately you can go the whole year without getting a job.

ReputationRep:
    i only knew 6 people with jobs during my year in the student village, and 4 of them were transfers from where they worked at home there are a handful of possible jobs nearby (such as at sainsburies, next, or with the SU), but its a lot more likely that if you do find a job, you'll be working in town and thus dependant on the busses, which can be a major pain (especially if you only have bar work on your cv like me >.<)

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to get a job at Sainsbury's, but I reckon everyone else will get the same idea! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EagleHawk)
    I'm hoping to get a job at Sainsbury's, but I reckon everyone else will get the same idea! :P
    I better not try that seeing as I already work for Asda! haha

ReputationRep:
    TBH the casual job market is touggh.. every student will be looking for a part time job, just don't come to uni expecting the job to be there for you, make sure you budget for a jobless year

ReputationRep:
    Quick tangent:- whats everyone doing/year? Obviously mines in my sig.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    Quick tangent:- whats everyone doing/year? Obviously mines in my sig.
    Mine's in my sig too but I'll say anyway, starting Maths in September - grades pending!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plugiinbaby)
    Mine's in my sig too but I'll say anyway, starting Maths in September - grades pending!
    Lol at putting in Bristol so people understand where UWE is - a common problem.

ReputationRep:
    Lol at putting in Bristol so people understand where UWE is - a common problem.

I thought it's clear that way!
    I told one of the teachers where I applied and she went "oh yes UWE, down in Plymouth?"
    "urrr no... Bristol.."
    "Really? I'm pretty sure it's in Plymouth"

AFTER I had been to the open day, I think I know where it is!
    Glad she never taught me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plugiinbaby)
    I thought it's clear that way!
    I told one of the teachers where I applied and she went "oh yes UWE, down in Plymouth?"
    "urrr no... Bristol.."
    "Really? I'm pretty sure it's in Plymouth"

AFTER I had been to the open day, I think I know where it is!
    Glad she never taught me!
    The fact youre in Somerset (with buses with UWE on etc) and she's saying Plymouth is a bit worrying

ReputationRep:
    The fact youre in Somerset (with buses with UWE on etc) and she's saying Plymouth is a bit worrying
    Ah yeah, but Bristol's a long way from home apparently :P (not really...)
    she's a bit dim I think!

ReputationRep:
    I live in plymouth soooo nobody really has that misunderstanding down here

ReputationRep:
    She's just silly! Ha

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.