Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about gang culture...

The word "respect" comes up a lot, but what do they actually mean?

They don't seem to have a concept of "honour", so then what is "respect"? Do they really mean "fear"?

Sorry for excessive "".

ReputationRep:
    Honour isn't a requirement of respect.

Respect means being subservient generally...

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it like acknowledgement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobertPires)
    Honour isn't a requirement of respect.

Respect means being subservient generally...

Really? Interesting.

In my mind, honour & respect are linked, and respect doesn't have any subservient undertones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    I was thinking about gang culture...

The word "respect" comes up a lot, but what do they actually mean?

They don't seem to have a concept of "honour", so then what is "respect"? Do they really mean "fear"?

Sorry for excessive "".
    I think fear is pretty much it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    Really? Interesting.

In my mind, honour & respect are linked, and respect doesn't have any subservient undertones.
    Yeah, but the thread is about what is meant by the word when it is used in gang culture.
    In that sense it really isn't about being honourable

ReputationRep:
    The definition of respect for gangs more or less means "Submitting to them" which isn't the real definition is it?
    I don't think they could find a better word in their limited vocabulary, so we're stuck with "respect" :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    Really? Interesting.

It doesn't have to, but it's what people generally mean when they say it nowadays, and I was more really referring to what it meant to in "gangs".

Respect your parents, respect your teachers, respect your elders, none of these things actually mean respect, they basically mean obey.

ReputationRep:
    A political party. :p:

But respect would depend pretty much on your status in relation to the gang/gangsters. A mutual respect of sorts could exist between mebers of the same gang, and this may differ from the respect that there is between ordinary members and the leader.

ReputationRep:
    They have a naive belief they people respect them and view them as honourable soldiers where in reality society knows they are just pure scum but won't act on it out of fear and self preservation. Gang members are petty scum, respect is the last thing they command.

ReputationRep:
    You mufffffffffffffffin...

In gang culture, it means honour, hence revenge and whatnot.

Respect in gangs also includes the smallest and pettiest thing you can think of, e.g. looking at someone wrong, stepping on someone's shoes or brushing past them whilst walking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spacecam)
    The definition of respect for gangs more or less means "Submitting to them" which isn't the real definition is it?
    I don't think they could find a better word in their limited vocabulary, so we're stuck with "respect" :rolleyes:
    You think wrong.

I've heard in youth prisons, which I presume is roughly the age group the OP is referring to, that if a 'gang' of people walk up to you and make you sing a nursery rhyme or WTTE and you do it, they essentially think you're a ***** and have no respect of you, and you'll get bullied. If you don't do it, you'll get beaten once, but then they'll leave you as they've found out you can't be shaken.

ReputationRep:
    Respect is recognition of someone or something.

It doesn't mean you have to be subservient to someone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph90)
    Respect is recognition of someone or something.

It doesn't mean you have to be subservient to someone.
    Hurm, recognition of someone. We respect old people because well, they're old=experience=maturity, so we respect them because we recognize them as that.

but what if the old people i.e 5, 10, 20 years older then you who are immature, unexperienced on perhaps certain thing that most common people find it petty and perhaps childish, would they deserve much respect as well (and if possible they themselves don't show respect to you)? -have no idea if you understand lol :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abhead)
    Yeah, but the thread is about what is meant by the word when it is used in gang culture.
    In that sense it really isn't about being honourable
    OK I want the thread to be about how the meaning of respect in gang culture is different from the meaning of respect in general.

(Original post by RobertPires)
    It doesn't have to, but it's what people generally mean when they say it nowadays, and I was more really referring to what it meant to in "gangs".

Respect your parents, respect your teachers, respect your elders, none of these things actually mean respect, they basically mean obey.
    In my mind it's like this: in general you respect anyone, because of human "dignity" and such, unless they do something "dishonorable".
    You respect your elders, parents and teachers in particular for their life experience, for raising you, and for teaching you.

So to me it doesn't really mean "obey". I can respect someone but disobey them at the same time.

Not saying that this is the "correct" definition btw, just clarifying what I meant. I think it's interesting how different people/groups have different definitions of "respect".

ReputationRep:
    Respect to me ( Or what I've learnt about it ) is :

- Acknowledging everyone as being equal and not better than the rest.

There's other aspects of it though. Like listening to other people , not beaing rude to people because of an opinion they have.

I don't really know.

ReputationRep:
    As i've understood in that context it means that they approve of something or look up to a person who's said or done something that in their opinion earns just that - respect. Oh and if someone has respect for some other gang (now i'm just guessing..) i guess it means that they're afraid of them because they choose to stay away instead of starting something up, because they know that the other gang should be respected (because they're badder/stronger than them). Having said that, i know next to nothing about gang culture. . . :p:

ReputationRep:
    It's the product of a people who think they are owed everything and have to earn nothing. Thus they expect respect without having to do anything for it. To be very general, people who are insecure or often have prejudices against them or are/have been persecuted seek respect for 'who they are'. This has led to the word being used in a context divorced from its roots. It has come to mean that you have to think someone is worth your time purely because they exist. You have to admire them because they are alive and walking and talking.

Respect in that respect [sic] means absolutely nothing.

It has led to wishy-washy quotations such as:
    Every human being, of whatever origin, of whatever station, deserves respect. We must each respect others even as we respect ourselves.

Modern tosh.

ReputationRep:
    Its not fear. You respect your own gang members, you don't fear them. Its more a sign of acknowledgement.

ReputationRep:
    Respect is when you acknowledge or appreciate someone for their successes or their character.

I guess where the fear part comes in, is when you talk about what part of their character/achievement they respect. You often hear about people who were 'feared and respected', this means that although people were afraid of them, they still acknowledged and appreciated the things they had accomplished - an example being Genghis Khan.

The same principle can be applied to modern-day gangs.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.