Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anon because a) I don't want my parents finding this if they raid my computer and b) I get the feeling I'd be negged to hell for what I'm about to say :o:

Basically, my Dad is in the Army and next October he's going to be moved to a new office *somewhere*, we don't know where yet, but Newcastle/Liverpool kind of way is looking likely. Currently, we live by London, so it's going to be a big move! We've had this house since I was 5, so for nearly 15 years now.

I'm going back to college to do my A levels in September, I didn't do well enough in my original ones so I'll be 19 when I start them. Now, my mum has said that when they move next October, I'll be allowed to have the house to live in on my own or with a lodger. It's a three bed semi, and tbh it's way too big for me on my own, but a lodger scares me :p:

How do I politely tell her that I don't want to live here without another family member? Preferably her :ninja: like I said I've lived here for 14 years, it'll be horrible to have it empty with just me I don't want to sound ungrateful but she's talking about how independant I'll be and how I'll enjoy living in a big house on my own :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Don't tell her!!! It may be creepy now, but get a few flatmates, maybe a couple of friends, and it will be fun! You'll be 20 by then, so old enough to live without your parents :P Just learn to cook

ReputationRep:
    Obviously you need to say that you appreciate it and that you think its a great opportunity.

Can you not ask someone, one of your friends if they want to live with you? Come to some arrangement about it?

Be on your own in a house if a little scary at first but you will get used to it before long, maybe give it a try and see how you feel about it?

Wow!

You have no idea how much i'd give to be you .

Time away from your parents will be good for you

And if you ever have any problems, ring them for help (they'll know what to do - they've lived there for over a decade after all! :p: )

ReputationRep:
    Are you seriously considering asking your mum to stay with you when your dad moves to a new city?

You'll soon get used to a lodger, and you'll be able to pick who they are so you wont end up with someone you don't feel comfortable with.

ReputationRep:
    Why on earth would you get negged for this?

I think you're being a bit oversensitive. Just tell them how you feel!

I'd personally be ecstatic with the chance to live on my own though

ReputationRep:
    Dont you have any mates that could move in with you?

ReputationRep:
    wtf. if i got this opportunity i would personally kick my parents out at that very second and call all my mates and have a house party

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Trigger. If you could get some of your friends (trustworthy ones) or choose your lodger, I don't see why there's a problem with you being there alone.

Also, they will only be up north a couple of hundred miles, it's not as if it's the North Pole with twice yearly flights, so you can go up and see them easily too.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Like others suggested why don't you ask a friend? I'm sure they'd jump at the chance! :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    I think you should explore the option of getting a lodger, preferable someone you already know, to move in with you before you try and emotionally manipulate your mum into living away from her husband!

Ask around your friends and see if anyone's looking for somewhere to live. Living away from home is great, and a definite must in the growing up and maturing stakes!
    x

All my mates are at uni, I suppose that's part of the reason why my parents want me to live without them :rolleyes: It's possible that I'll meet some people when I start college (you never know, lol) but I dunno... it'll just feel weird without the whole family here. Like I'm betraying the house or something! :ninja:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.