Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ok just a quick question
    started a new job this week, in a retail store. i always look smart and presentable btw. but today he asked me if i could wear heels. if im on my feet the whole day then why should i? does he have right to say this??

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i think they do as you are representing the store and it's image.

Which store is it that you work in? And did you ask why heels were necessary?

ReputationRep:
    That wouldn't be fair unless he was wearing heels too. Smart shoes should suffice.

ReputationRep:
    its a jewelry store in a hotel, and he said coz its smarter. but he said nothing when i first asked about uniform (and i was in flats)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CWild)
    That wouldn't be fair unless he was wearing heels too.
    He's not a woman.

ReputationRep:
    They can say something about dress codes, but then they have ot have one in force. Can you ask him why he wants you to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    He's not a woman.
    Yeah, you think?

ReputationRep:
    Asda do a very comfy wedge if that helps...

ReputationRep:
    Ask him if you can wear flats because it hurts your feet to stand on heels all day, if he says no then try and find some comfy small heels.

ShoeZone sell cheap, comfy heels - only an inch or two high, but smart and I can wear mine for a whole day, which I can't do with any others.

ReputationRep:
    It may be that he feels your flats look a bit too casual? Or were you wearing plimsoles or something?

Maybe just find some pumps with the really little heels?! That way he cant say anything!!

ReputationRep:
    Read your contracts and if it says ladies must wear heals then I gues you have to but if it doesn't say this particularly then I guess its a loop hole and you can say no shove yours jimmy choos up your arse

ReputationRep:
    He is your boss, he can tell you what colour underwear to put on.

ReputationRep:
    my shoes are flat but smart (no flip flops/trainers lol). there ae no contracts and no other workers to compare with - the shops just opened. i havnt signed anything at all even. when i specifically asked about uniform last week he just said 'chic' and was thinking wtf does that mean!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidoraH)
    my shoes are flat but smart (no flip flops/trainers lol). there ae no contracts and no other workers to compare with - the shops just opened. i havnt signed anything at all even. when i specifically asked about uniform last week he just said 'chic' and was thinking wtf does that mean!!
    Well now you know,

chic = heels lol

But to be fair, he is your boss. Unless you wana get sacked/a warning i would suggest just sticking to the rules, especially when finding a job is so difficult at the moment!!!

ReputationRep:
    I think unless you have something specific in your contract that covers your appearance, then he really can't make you. I think you could rightly argue that it's a health & safety issue if you explain to him the back pain / foot problems that wearing heels can give you (as a man I'm sure he has no idea, LOL).

If you still want to please him, then as a compromise you could look for some dressier flats than what you have already (maybe keep the receipt and bring them in for him to have a look first, if you're worried he still won't approve - then you can still return them). But in principle, I really think that unless it's a specific item mentioned in your contract then it's not something anyone should be asking you. It's fine to ask for formal/dress shoes (which in my opinion, includes flat shoes) as you are representing the store image, but nobody should be making you wear heels in a retail job unless it's in your contract. Heck I work in an office and even I don't wear heels most days, I can only imagine the torture of being in them and on your feet all day!

ReputationRep:
    He asked you if you could wear heels-well he didn't TELL you then. Just say no, heels can cause back problems...

ReputationRep:
    Considering the fact that there are quite evident health issues with high heel shoes, I believe you have grounds for contesting his request.

If he persists, I would say you had the opportunity to take successful legal action.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the advice so far. i just dont fancy cleaning in heels tbh which is what i spend most time doing. whats funny is that i worked in house of fraser for years and not once did they make me wear heels, and actually advised flats unless you were a top manager.

ReputationRep:
    Stop moaning and just wear heels!

ReputationRep:
    Yes unfortunately he can...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.