Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

can my boss tell me what to wear?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidoraH)
    thanks for the advice so far. i just dont fancy cleaning in heels tbh which is what i spend most time doing. whats funny is that i worked in house of fraser for years and not once did they make me wear heels, and actually advised flats unless you were a top manager.
    When I worked in House of Fraser it never ceased to amaze me how the make up girls were able to wear 4 inch heels all day, 5 days a week!

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately your boss sets the dress code and short of asking you to turn up naked, if you want to keep your job you'll have to wear what he wants.

However, kitten heels/wedges can be just as comfortable as flats :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Someone mentioned shoe zone heels - I'd recommend these. I got a pair for about a tenner and they lasted a fair while and are actually more comfy than many flats I own
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    There are plenty of flat shoes that are 'chic'. Just tell your boss that high heels gives you back problems and see what he says.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidoraH)
    its a jewelry store in a hotel, and he said coz its smarter. but he said nothing when i first asked about uniform (and i was in flats)...
    Just get a pair of kitten heels. If your feet really hurt broach the subject with him again.

ReputationRep:
    Where I used to work if the girls didnt turn up in heels they got sent home.

Just do what he says and jump out of them on your breaks.

ReputationRep:
    unless he commands you to then walk all over his back topless in time to lady marmalade, I'm pretty sure he's within his rights.

Can't hurt to simply have a polite word, and explain why you'd rather not, and come up with a comprimise, he's presumably human afterall :laugh: if he STILL says no then I guess you'll just have to hunt for some comfy heels. I won't advise as to what heels lest I come off as the type who'd mascurade in his gf's heels when she's not looking. Moreso than usual that is.

ReputationRep:
    Just say you cant walk in them and be done with it. I'm sure he'd prefer someone in his hotel wearing flats than someone falling over every 5 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by partoftheweekend)
    Where I used to work if the girls didnt turn up in heels they got sent home.

Just do what he says and jump out of them on your breaks.
    I'd have claimed sexual discrim if that were me-why should a woman be forced to wear heels, which are painful and potentially dangerous, merely because of their sex?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lell)
    I'd have claimed sexual discrim if that were me-why should a woman be forced to wear heels, which are painful and potentially dangerous, merely because of their sex?!
    You say that, but you wouldn't. Men had to wear full suits ALL the time, even in the middle of summer when its boiling hot. If you didnt look the part at the interview you wouldnt have gotten the job in the first place anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reaver)
    He is your boss, he can tell you what colour underwear to put on.
    You don't need to be someone's boss to tell them what colour underwear to put on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotGivingRealName)
    You don't need to be someone's boss to tell them what colour underwear to put on.
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    what did you decide to do?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.