Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Pasta and Kinder Buenos.

ReputationRep:
    Banana porridge every morning, unless I do a Full English.

I eat loads of apples, grapes and carrots.

ReputationRep:
    Bread and cereal.

ReputationRep:
    toasted cheese sandwich, browned on the outside with margarine, with overflowing melted cheese around it :drool:

ReputationRep:
    red lentils
    couscous
    polenta
    pasta

you can make anything with these. mix in cheese and any veg, fresh, canned or frozen. or tuna, or meat. herbs and spices...
    or you can aditionally mix in an egg or two per cup and make patties.

Saunsbury's 10p noodles. Put kettle-water over them and whack them in the microwave for two minutes.

I'm actually sick of them.

ReputationRep:
    Porridge. I make it with 1% milk and chopped banana. After that, it would be Weetabix and fruit, lots and lots of fruit.

ReputationRep:
    Peanut butter. I buy it in 1kg tubs. Only proper 100% peanuts stuff though.

ReputationRep:
    baked beans

ReputationRep:
    Mushrooms. I eat an obscene amount of mushrooms. Mushrooms with everything. Courgettes and peppers too.

ReputationRep:
    Try and eat sour cream with most things: put it in pasta sause, dip wedges and crisps in it, have it with salad and make nachos and fajitas and have lots of sour cream with that orrr dip pizza into sour cream dip too yum!!!
    I also eat quite a lot porridge, chocolate, nutella, peanut butter and mushrooms but not altogether!

ReputationRep:
    Ham!
    I put it on a side on everything!

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it's honestly cake.
    And other times its honestly coffee.

But I've been pretty healthy recently and can't think of a particular staple... maybe soup..

ReputationRep:
    Pasta - but my mum makes it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ta-shi)
    red lentils
    couscous
    polenta
    pasta

you can make anything with these. mix in cheese and any veg, fresh, canned or frozen. or tuna, or meat. herbs and spices...
    or you can aditionally mix in an egg or two per cup and make patties.

This sounds great + healthy. Can you give me some of your fav receipes with these ingredients?

In return I will rep you.

ReputationRep:
    Mine is pasta

I have a series of 7/8 recipes that i know off by heart and I make if i can't think of anything else :p:

ReputationRep:
    Bread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    Mushrooooooooooooooooooooms. In everything, if you eat something I've cooked you're bound to find a mushroom somewhere. My Mamma made the most gorgeous mushroom and potato pasties yesterday Also, spinach and green leafy stuff like rocket and lamb's lettuce.

Or bread, actually...
    Cook for me :puppyeyes:

I'm having a mushroom craving. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deano-101)
    This sounds great + healthy. Can you give me some of your fav receipes with these ingredients?

i acutally don't do those basics from recipies, but if you havent yeat learned to cook, all of this is sure good basic stuff.
    first it's improtant you have staples at home, and also a few herbs and spices. dried ones go a very long way. you could start with basil, herbs de provence, garlic, black pepper (all ground and dried), also have a look around the shelf what else you like. also good extra vergine olive oil. and some curry powder and probably garam massala (sp?).

now just so you get the basic idea, an example.

bulgur with vegetables: cook bulgur according to the directions on the package (probably a cup), fry some vegetables (1 or 2 hand full) in a seperate pan with a little olive oil. (you can take any kind of frozen vegetables, or a ready stir fry, or cut up fresh veggies, or use canned. whatever you like or have on hand). i have mixed frozen veggies a home all the time, they keep forever if you dont use them, and you can always have some on hand. mix together, top with a tbsp of olive oil and probably a little salt, pepper, basil, herb de provence.

some tips:
    instead of bulgur you could take couscous, noodles, ebly, rice, whatever.
    try different combinations, different kinds of frozen or canned veg mixes.
    be carefull with herbs: start with little, you can always add more. a little granulated garlic is good in most combinations, but start with very little, really. things you can always use: salt, pepper, garlic, olive oil all enhances the taste of things. with everything else start with one or two in a dish, not more.
    a little cheese in any of those dishes isn't wrong.
    insted or in addition to the veggies: any meat of your choice, canned tuna, cut up sausage, marinated fried tofu.
    it you fancy sace with it, just take prepacked toamto sauce and more herbs. or take a few spoons of sour cream.
    leftovers: mix with an egg or two (depending on the amount), form little patties and fry in some oil. those can be frozen as well, and microwaved on a lazy day.
    a little toased chopped nuts maked everything good (toased sliced almonds, walnuts, hazelnut, coconut), fry with salt and olive oil, but be careful it browns without burning.

a few of my fav. combinations:
    couscous with fresh pomegranate seeds and cubed feta. yummy!
    bulgur with spinache (frozen) and canned tuna.
    rice with fried cubed tofu and chickpeas (canned)
    freid noodle patties with corn (canned) and cheese.

also an easy recipie for daal masala (indian red lentils):
    a cup of lentils, 1 big red onion (chopped), 2 teapoons garam masala, a little salt, chilli powder, oil, a bit canned tomato, if you like a chopped carrot and bell pepper, if you have, a little grated coconut, coriander powder, tumeric powder, garlic powder. cook everything with a little more wtater than stated on the package.

also i'm sorry all this is offtopic, but i thought if i didn't pm, but post publicly, other people might be interested as well.

ReputationRep:
    Rice.:teeth: honestly with a ton of soy sauce over it. and few things tossed in like peppers, and stuff. :coma:
    I could live off it.:p:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.