Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Having spent my time since september absolutely 110% motivated to do medicine, and doing everything I can to make myself a strong applicant and ensuring I know what the job entails and that I would enjoy it, I have now hit what I can only compare to "the wall" you hit when running long distances...

I know I want to be a doctor and I know that if I didn't at least try to get there I'd regret it for the rest of my life but I've just lost the thing that kept me going.

Talking to one of my friends who is at Sheffield, and one who is Manchester, seems like they both when through this stage too!

Soo anyone else hit the lack of motivation stage? I'm hoping the work experience I'm doing will effectively smack me out of it.

ReputationRep:
    here you go!

*hands over motivation* now i need motivation XD

ReputationRep:
    no no you can't have lack of motivation yet. there should still be a while yet until that sets in. I can remember the summer before I applied. the only time I had some lack of motivation was when I got my poor UKCAT score. I still wanted to apply and did. But i'll hopefully be reapplying this October.

ReputationRep:
    a good piece of work experience should snap you out of it.

spend some time in a hospital shadowing if you can. and you will get home and talk about it for hours and be motivated again.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Work Experience!

ReputationRep:
    Take some time out and do something else for a bit over the holidays.

One of the most important things I've realised is that you have to learn to chill out and completely forget medicine when it gets too much by doing things completely unrelated. Or you'll go crazy.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, I hit it about two years ago.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, I definitely need some motivation; I'm terrified by the competition for places! And not enjoying the anxious wait for A Level results...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Ignoramus)
    Yup, I definitely need some motivation; I'm terrified by the competition for places! And not enjoying the anxious wait for A Level results...
    AS Results, don't get ahead of yourself lol.

ReputationRep:
    Yep I've definitely hit that wall. I think it's just an absolute crisis of confidence. I get questions like:

Am I good enough? Will my application be competitive enough (especially as a grad)? Do I even want this career? Why not take up your other offer and make life simpler?

But there's something in me that knows that I'll regret it for a long, long time if I ran away into another career and not give this at least one last try. I think work experience and being in that hospital environment really helps though but I haven't gone for a couple of weeks as I've been ill. So we shall see what happens when I go back.

ReputationRep:
    yes. and it got to me bad

:sigh:

ReputationRep:
    I went through that stage all last year. I am motivated to try and apply and stuff but I still have a feeling I won't get in. I just know it.

I'm not really feeling the UKCAT all of a sudden. I just want to sit for a while and just jamalaxxxxxxxx.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    I went through that stage all last year. I am motivated to try and apply and stuff but I still have a feeling I won't get in. I just know it.

I'm not really feeling the UKCAT all of a sudden. I just want to sit for a while and just jamalaxxxxxxxx.
    I wonder how many non Londoners understood this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    I wonder how many non Londoners understood this?
    I fear I might embarrass myself when I go to uni and use words such as these. :o:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    I fear I might embarrass myself when I go to uni and use words such as these. :o:
    Naa, we need to teach them :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I want to write a response but can't quite get the words out - basically I'd say - unless it's amazingly overpoweringly deterring you from medicine - don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    im having the same feelings mainly due to the large chance of getting 4 rejections and having to spend a year at home trying to buff up my application for the next year and doing a dull job whilst all my friends are off to uni and having a whale of a time.
    i havent even started preparing for my ukcat (which i still havent booked !!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt^)
    im having the same feelings mainly due to the large chance of getting 4 rejections and having to spend a year at home trying to buff up my application for the next year and doing a dull job whilst all my friends are off to uni and having a whale of a time.
    That is my reality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    AS Results, don't get ahead of yourself lol.
    Due to my own determination to challenge myself, I'll be picking up three A2 results and three AS results this summer; it's a decision I'm beginning to regret...

ReputationRep:
    Work through it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.