Turn on thread page Beta

Hola,
    I'm from India and doing a-levels in math / physics / english lit / sociology. We use a really crappy math text book [pure math 1 : hugh neill + douglas quadling]. Any suggestions on a good math book with nice presentation and well-written explanations?
    Thanks n cheers.
    Jivraj.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thejive)
    Hola,
    I'm from India and doing a-levels in math / physics / english lit / sociology. We use a really crappy math text book [pure math 1 : hugh neill + douglas quadling]. Any suggestions on a good math book with nice presentation and well-written explanations?
    Thanks n cheers.
    Jivraj.
    find out what board ur doin first, then get one which matches it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thejive)
    Hola,
    Thanks n cheers.
    Jivraj.
    I think this one is recommended for A level:

http://store3.yimg.com/I/popular-sg_1770_37928688

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    I think this one is recommended for A level:

http://store3.yimg.com/I/popular-sg_1770_37928688
    That's the one we're supplied with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    That's the one we're supplied with.
    ppl in my scool also use it

ReputationRep:
    I've always found that the Edexcel textbooks, while pretty awful for learning, were quite good for revision. There are several exercises per topic area, each testing you on material learnt in the previous section, with questions increasing in difficulty throughout the exercise. Also, there were 1 or 2 big (circa 100 questions) review exercises, with a mix of easy, exam standard and above exam standard questions. THe easy questions build confidence, the exam-style questions are good practice, and the harder ones deepen your understanding. So yeah, this post might not be very helpful right now, but think about it when you come to revise modules . .

I use that text book also and it is indeed rubbish. It uses far too many big words for my liking. They usually fill several pages with convoluted explanations of simple concepts that could probably be explained in about 5 lines.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.