Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Permanent hair removal - is it possible to do inexpensively? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have a lot of hair on my chest, but also even on my behind and upper back! I'd like to hear someone say there's a plus side to having a hairy behind and back! I don't think women like it?

Are there any inexpensive ways of permanently (as opposed to temporary removal - like shaving) removing it?

Thanks in advance.

Please quote me when you reply.

ReputationRep:
    Laser treatment?
    Wax? (temporary, but hair will grow back thinner over time)
    Don't shave!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wisdom-tooth)
    Laser treatment?
    Wax? (temporary, but hair will grow back thinner over time)
    Don't shave!!
    Shaving is counter-productive? (i.e. it makes the hair grow back thicker?)

ReputationRep:
    There are the options of laser and electrolysis, but they are often expensive and (perhaps even worse) they don't work for everyone (I'm female, and had some electrolysis done on some unwanted body hair. With pale skin and dark body hair I should be a prime candidate but it didn't work at all).

For a temporary fix I'd recommend waxing. Plenty of men do this; even my dad, who is the manliest of men, will have his back waxed before a beach holiday (so once a year if that). However, if it's any consolation, hairy men are not always unattractive to women. Bill Bailey is a famous example (he's married and has one son). My boyfriend is also ludicrously hairy (particularly on his arms and legs but he also has a little hair on his chest and back) and we've been together 4.5 years, so it obviously isn't *that* offputting :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    There are the options of laser and electrolysis, but they are often expensive and (perhaps even worse) they don't work for everyone (I'm female, and had some electrolysis done on some unwanted body hair. With pale skin and dark body hair I should be a prime candidate but it didn't work at all).

For a temporary fix I'd recommend waxing. Plenty of men do this; even my dad, who is the manliest of men, will have his back waxed before a beach holiday (so once a year if that). However, if it's any consolation, hairy men are not always unattractive to women. Bill Bailey is a famous example (he's married and has one son). My boyfriend is also ludicrously hairy (particularly on his arms and legs but he also has a little hair on his chest and back) and we've been together 4.5 years, so it obviously isn't *that* offputting :tongue:
    Thanks for your reassurance.

I guess the short answer to my question is 'no'.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Butane would be quite cheap :p:

ReputationRep:
    Shaving doesnt make hair grow back thicker. It might make the end of the hair look thicker when its at stubble stage because its been cut flat across rather than having a tapered edge, but it doesn't make hair (wherever it may grow) thicker or grow back faster.

I would say wax or shave, if you're going to shave then just keep on top of it, you will have to do it regularly like you do your face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaishan)
    I have a lot of hair on my chest, but also even on my behind and upper back! I'd like to hear someone say there's a plus side to having a hairy behind and back! I don't think women like it?

Are there any inexpensive ways of permanently (as opposed to temporary removal - like shaving) removing it?

Thanks in advance.

Please quote me when you reply.
    I don't particularly mind to be honest. Arm, leg and chest hair I have absolutely no problem with, but if you're excessively hairy on your backside, you may be best of waxing. Echoing everyone else that it isn't permenant, you could have electrolysis but is it really worth it?
    I don't think women (that aren't shallow) are severly off putted by it. Well... I'm not

ReputationRep:
    You could get electrolysis, it may work. If you scroll to the bottom of this link, they give some cheap prices for mens hair removal (although this is only useful if you're in the london area, I'm sure you could find similar prices for it elsewhere).

Also, there's nothing wrong with hairy men. Having said that, I know someone who is very hairy and it is a little off putting to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemons)
    You could get electrolysis, it may work. If you scroll to the bottom of this link, they give some cheap prices for mens hair removal.

Also, there's nothing wrong with hairy men. Having said that, I know someone who is very hairy and it is a little off putting to me.
    Thanks I'll have a look at that link.

The repliers here seem to be saying they can just about tolerate a lot of hair, or don't mind it. Noone has said they like a hairy chest for example! Nevermind though, the response from people could have been worse I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    The repliers here seem to be saying they can just about tolerate a lot of hair, or don't mind it. Noone has said they like a hairy chest for example! Nevermind though, the response from people could have been worse I suppose.
    I'm not going to lie!!! I like a little hair on the chest...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I'll have a look at that link.

O hairy chests are nice (as long as you are hygienic which I'm sure you are ). It's more the hairy bums and back which can be off putting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemons)
    O hairy chests are nice (as long as you are hygienic which I'm sure you are ). It's more the hairy bums and back which can be off putting.
    (Original post by TheButtylicious)
    I'm not going to lie!!! I like a little hair on the chest...
    Thanks, both of you. I feel a little better now.

Any more advice anyone?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the middle of a treatment to get my leg hair permanently removed, and so far I must say its the best thing I've ever done. It works like a dream and although I've only gone 3 out of the 6 times, already most of it is gone. Research where you can find the cheapest price for laser/electrolysis, I live really close to France so I found a place in France where they did it and it cost 200 euros per time for both legs, in comparison to where I live where it was 500 euros per time for both legs... so research is the key if you want it to be cheap!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.