Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been following the Peter Harvey incident over the news and facebook alot recently. For those who dont know its the recently News story where the teacher hit the pupill with a 2 k.g weight.
    BBC News Report

Anyway this teacher has several facebook groups supporting his case with membres sayins that teachers have alot more stress, as its harder to discipline students.

As this goes further and further, it seems like every other comment on these page is about the Ferral youth of today....

The youth are seen as:
    Thugs
    Sexual deviants
    Uncontrollable
    Drug users
    Gang members....

Even throughout this forum there seems to be the constant idea that chavs are everywhere, society is getting worse and worse....

So this is a reminded to everyone.

The Youth of today:
    Has more qualifications then any other generation.
    More of us go to university and more of us want to go to university.
    More of us take an interest in politics. (Yes our generation may vote less, but we activiely debate issues, and support/volunteer for projects more so then any other generation through our music and art).
    We are more open minded, culturally diverse.
    We are more compassionate.

It's like every news report forgets these things which is rediculous.

People talk about our gangs....

Well West Ham's Football hooligan firm in the 70's/80's could proberly stand toe to toe with all the current youth gangs in East London, as often 2-300 would be part of the I.C.F's.
    The Krays were extorting and robbing people long before hoodies.

Equally we dont even have the avaibility to do that violence on a large scale, because of cctv, or police reprecussions.

What do you all think?

ReputationRep:
    When I get that feeeeeeeelin', I'm a sexual deviant...sexual deviant :jive:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tw!stEd)
    I've been following the Peter Harvey incident over the news and facebook alot recently. For those who dont know its the recently News story where the teacher hit the pupill with a 2 k.g weight.
    BBC News Report

Anyway this teacher has several facebook groups supporting his case with membres sayins that teachers have alot more stress, as its harder to discipline students.

As this goes further and further, it seems like every other comment on these page is about the Ferral youth of today....

The youth are seen as:
    Thugs
    Sexual deviants
    Uncontrollable
    Drug users
    Gang members....

Even throughout this forum there seems to be the constant idea that chavs are everywhere, society is getting worse and worse....

So this is a reminded to everyone.

The Youth of today:
    More of us take an interest in politics. (Yes our generation may vote less, but we activiely debate issues, and support/volunteer for projects more so then any other generation through our music and art).
    We are more compassionate.

It's like every news report forgets these things which is rediculous.

People talk about our gangs....

Well West Ham's Football hooligan firm in the 70's/80's could proberly stand toe to toe with all the current youth gangs in East London, as often 2-300 would be part of the I.C.F's.
    The Krays were extorting and robbing people long before hoodies.

Equally we dont even have the avaibility to do that violence on a large scale, because of cctv, or police reprecussions.

What do you all think?
    I don't think the news forgets anything, it's probably because bad news sells better than good news?

ReputationRep:
    "
    The Youth of today:
    We are more compassionate."

The first and second point do not really hold much weight. Just because someone has a qualification does not automatically make them a better member to society. The same can be said for university. The rest just seems to be assumptions with no evidence whatsoever, do you have any evidence to support, for example, that we're 'more compassionate.'

But, I must say, I agree that we youth do get a bad press but to some extent we deserve it. The paradigm shift in society and the technological developments in the last couple of decades are leading to the youth becoming increasingly isolated from the older generations. It is for this reason that many are mis-understood and seen as anti-social.

Yes, gangs still exist, but maybe the real point is that adults/older people dont feel safe when walking along the street, and encountering a youth gang - whereas 20 years ago this feeling would not have occured.

:worm:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.