Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Basically i met this guy recently and i do like him and he has said he wants a relationship with me, but i'm not sure. there are other factors involved too, but one of my doubts is because we're very different sorts of people. I do like him and when we're together we get on well and he has a fun sense of humour. i always think of relationships in very long term serious contexts and i often think it's important to have stuff in common. He does a practical sort of job -mechanic- and is very interested in cars, and (this might sound harsh and elitist) isn't that academic or articulate, so quite different from my previous relationships. does anyone have experience of these sort of relationships working?

ReputationRep:
    It depends entirely on the people involved. Would you really want to have a relationship with someone who is completely suited to you, wouldn't it get boring? Different isn't always a bad thing

ReputationRep:
    As long as you can connect on certain levels, then I can't see why it wouldn't work.

The only differences you've actually pointed out are your education/jobs. There's got to be something else putting you off him?

ReputationRep:
    one of my profs who is an assistant dean her husband is a construction worker, so it can work (:

(Original post by Cocoa)
    one of my profs who is an assistant dean her husband is a construction worker, so it can work (:
    I can't imagine they have much to talk about? :no:

IMO opposites can attract .. but not on the scale where there are huge differences (eg, dean and construction worker ).

ReputationRep:
    Me and my current boyf are very different. Im into science, he's good at art. And it does make things interesting, and it did attract me too him. We've been together almost 4 years now.

But it does mean you'll have different lifestyles, and this has been the cause of difficulty between us in the past, expecially as you both mature into what can be very different careers. It doesn't mean a relationship can't work though. How will you ever know unless you try?

ReputationRep:
    what are you, magnetic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    I can't imagine they have much to talk about? :no:

IMO opposites can attract .. but not on the scale where there are huge differences (eg, dean and construction worker ).
    Working in construction doesn't automatically mean he's thick y'know.

(Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    Working in construction doesn't automatically mean he's thick y'know.
    Maybe, but the chances are high :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    Maybe, but the chances are high :p:
    :rolleyes:

I'm not going to go into a massive rant about this because it's truly not worth my time.

(Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    :rolleyes:

I'm not going to go into a massive rant about this because it's truly not worth my time.
    :zomg: Nooo tell me :p: I'll give you cookiez :awesome:

ANd yeah, he probably isn't unintelligent.

I'd just be hard pressed to believe somebody who works very high up in education could have their daily experiences related to by someone who works with bricks and mortar :unsure:

EDIT: Fine, don't tell me :sad:

ReputationRep:
    just go for it :P

ReputationRep:
    so weird, you me at six 'attract' just came on, ooppppoosssittessssssss, alllways attract!!'
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    They don't work. end of.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's important to have similar professions or career paths in a relationship, as would you really want to talk about work with each other lots of the time anyway? I do, however, think it's important to have the same views on major issues in life, especially if you are thinking long-term, possibly factoring future children into the equation. These issues include things like your religious beliefs or lack thereof, whether you favour state or private education, your political leanings, whether you'd prefer to live in the town or country, sharing a sense of humour and fundamentally being on the same wavelength. I'd find it hard to envisage a long term future with someone who strongly disagreed about these things, as it would mean we wouldn't share common goals and be able to build a shared life, and it would also cause arguements about how to bring any children up.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.