Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Im looking for somewhere to do a CHEAP GAP YEAR watch

ReputationRep:
    I dont mind where, i just want it to be really cheap,,,because i can't afford paying £1000+

ReputationRep:
    Your flights will be the main cost, which are gonna be in the hundreds no matter where you go.

As for living costs, I hear Asia is the best bet. You might want to look into working while you're over there, or doing work in return for board. You can find places offering board in return for low level land work in Canada on a website, can't remember what its called though.

xx

ReputationRep:
    I had the same problem, thus going to England as an au pair. Doesn't cost you much, and it's great if you like children and don't mind doing some housework.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Blinkbelle, if you want to travel then Asia is your best bet. With AirAsia you can get flights for £150 each way, but even then having less than 700 to spend isn't going to last you more than maybe 3-4 months, probably less (haven't been to Asia personally, going on what I've heard from other travellers).

If you want to travel for a longer period, I'd recommend trying to get work for the first part of your gap year, and then travel for the latter part.

Or you can also try working on a ski resort in europe over winter, and then maybe somewhere with a bit more sun in the summer. You won't make much money from it, but it's an adventure in itself and at least you can make a bit that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    Your flights will be the main cost, which are gonna be in the hundreds no matter where you go.
    Not necessarily, many flights to European countries are a lot cheaper, especially those at inconvenient times (not many people like flying at 4am, so it's pretty affordable).

If you're not too fussy OP try working bar/restaurant work in Greece, Spain or similar European countries. I'm not on a gap year as I'm still in college, but I'm spending the summer in France and it's costing me next to nothing - in fact, I expect to make a profit. Avoid agencies that arrange your gap year for you as they're in it for profit and charge £££.

ReputationRep:
    Look into New Zealand

ReputationRep:
    Are you a circular mover like chipmunk?!? :O

My mate's found one in Africa for like 200 for 2 weeks. I can't remember which country though.

ReputationRep:
    Try the CSV organisation, you can go abroad and do voluntary work. I met friends on my gap year who were doing this and they really enjoyed it =).

http://www.csv.org.uk/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    Are you a circular mover like chipmunk?!? :O
    Yeah mannnn...that guys to sickkk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    I agree with Blinkbelle, if you want to travel then Asia is your best bet. With AirAsia you can get flights for £150 each way, but even then having less than 700 to spend isn't going to last you more than maybe 3-4 months, probably less (haven't been to Asia personally, going on what I've heard from other travellers).

If you want to travel for a longer period, I'd recommend trying to get work for the first part of your gap year, and then travel for the latter part.

Or you can also try working on a ski resort in europe over winter, and then maybe somewhere with a bit more sun in the summer. You won't make much money from it, but it's an adventure in itself and at least you can make a bit that way.
    £150 each way?!?! thats pretty decent!! yeah i'l definately look into Asia...i only want to travel for a month or 2 so i dont mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Circularmover)
    £150 each way?!?! thats pretty decent!! yeah i'l definitely look into Asia...i only want to travel for a month or 2 so i dont mind.
    Yeah, it's a new low budget airline. No food served and no onboard films, but it's cheap.
    Only problem is they only fly from Stansted, you'll probably spend quite a lot of money getting there and back, but if you can find cheap ryanair flights manc to stansted I guess it wouldn't be too bad.

ReputationRep:
    Argentina... so cheap (for you haha), so nice and diverse...

Take a look. Feel free to ask me If interested in my country. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I'm hopefully going to Bolivia to volunteer at a Spanish language centre (teaching English) and food and board is free because I'm doing it for 7 months. After that I'm going to a wildlife rehabilitation centre (also in Bolivia) that costs the equivalent of £100 (give or take a few pennies) to volunteer for a month (food and board included). Then I might do the travelling backpacking thing for a few months after that.
    So really all I need to pay is the price of the flight to and from Bolivia, transport when I'm there, spending money and then stuff like backpacks and vaccinations. Nowhere near as much as those extortionate companies/ *charities* trying to charge £4000 for something I can organise myself! :rant:

If you want more information feel free to PM me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    I'm hopefully going to Bolivia to volunteer at a Spanish language centre (teaching English) and food and board is free because I'm doing it for 7 months. After that I'm going to a wildlife rehabilitation centre (also in Bolivia) that costs the equivalent of £100 (give or take a few pennies) to volunteer for a month (food and board included). Then I might do the travelling backpacking thing for a few months after that.
    So really all I need to pay is the price of the flight to and from Bolivia, transport when I'm there, spending money and then stuff like backpacks and vaccinations. Nowhere near as much as those extortionate companies/ *charities* trying to charge £4000 for something I can organise myself! :rant:

If you want more information feel free to PM me.
    whoaa....how the hell did you manage to arrange that!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean, don't rush into paying a fortune, I volunteered with elephants in Thailand & spent hundreds with a agency in the UK. Then when I arrived you can make a small donation and do it for free!!! Its shocking! Here's their website if you want to apply direct, not sure what the costs are to go direct now but it really is amazing -
    Thailand animal rehabilition centre

Also this site is awesome as it lists over 8000 gap year / volunteering companies and a lot are local placements and offer cheap gap year opportunities

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I doubt you'll be able to do something for long- there have been some good sales on flights to Asia recently but once you factor in paying for backpack, clothes, vaccines, etc, you won't be able to do much

ReputationRep:
    Platform2 ...really, look into.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Europe, going to Asia will cost too much on flights. I mean the above dude is correct, you can get returns with Air Asia X to KL for £300 return, but I just wouldn't recommend it when you only have £700 to spend. It would last you maybe 4-6 weeks. Although, you can do a lot from Malaysia with Air Asia (£60 single to Hong Kong, less to Taiwan for example).

ReputationRep:
    Asia ftw!!! Its so cheap.

India is super super cheap for example. 700 would last you 2 months easy. And this is not budgeting.

Europe if you're not going to work is is way too expensive, you could spend 1000 in a month effortlessly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allieRAWR!)
    Platform2 ...really, look into.
    Wow!!

Anymore like this? Flights and everything included?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.