Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My left ear is blocked up with ear wax. Watch

ReputationRep:
    My left ear is blocked up with ear wax (I believe).

How can I safely clear out that wax? Are there any standard houshold items which I could use?

Thanks in advance.

Please quote me when you reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaishan)

How can I safely clear out that wax? Are there any standard houshold items which I could use?

Thanks in advance.

If I were you I'd just see the GP who will probably recommend some oil to soften up the wax, then they'll rinse it out. You'll feel like a new born :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Do not put anything into your ear, you will likely to cause some damage to your ear drum.

See your doctor and they will be able to safely syringe your ear if it is indeed blocked with wax, you may need to have a course of ear drops to soften the wax before you can have them syringed.

Dont put anything into your ears, it can cause unrepairable damage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mustard-man)
    If I were you I'd just see the GP who will probably recommend some oil to soften up the wax, then they'll rinse it out. You'll feel like a new born :yes:
    That won't be possible for a few days.

Surely there's a 'home-made' solution?

ReputationRep:
    They will reccommend oil. Olive oil or sunflower oil is fine. Put some in, leave it in for about half an hour, do this 2-3 times a day. If it's still blocked after a few days, go to the doctor or nurse and they will rinse it for you.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah mate I had this problem I thought, if i rubbed like just below me ear it would be kind of numb, anyway I saw a GP and he said thier was to much earwax and did **** all tbh, eventually though it cleared and I didn't realy realise, it was like that for a couple of weeks or a month or something cant remember, use some cotton buds obvs, but a good trick to use is grasp your nose with thumb and index finger and kind of hold your breath and push out, it's effective in getting water out of thier when you have been swimming etc.

ReputationRep:
    Your best bet would be to see a GP. I dont know what you mean by "household items", but I wouldnt try to remove it myself as doing that may actually cause damage to the inside of your ears. The GP ( or most likely the nurse) will syringe your ears...dont worry theres no needles involved, which will get out the excess ear wax and you will be able to hear properly again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom_tom_tom)
    Do not put anything into your ear, you will likely to cause some damage to your ear drum.

See your doctor and they will be able to safely syringe your ear if it is indeed blocked with wax, you may need to have a course of ear drops to soften the wax before you can have them syringed.

Thanks. I use ear plugs when I sleep, and that's what tend to lead to a build-up of ear wax I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom_tom_tom)

They will definitely make you use oil first. I've just been and they said I had to do it for four days. You can buy drops but my GP said olive oil or sunflower oil was just as good.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Ice cream scoop? hahahah

ReputationRep:
    Get it syringed

ReputationRep:
    No, go to the docs and he will provide you with something that will melt it x

ReputationRep:
    doctors - oil - syringe - job sorted

always wondered what a syringe feels like...... can anybody go for a syringe?

(Original post by Gaishan)

Thanks in advance.

A 50/50 mixture of hydrogen peroxide and glycerin. Put it in and leave it until it finishes fizzing. Repeat if necessary.

Yes, it might get a little sore if you have sensitive skin.

ReputationRep:
    Syringing is kind of misleading because it's not actually a syringe at all. It's just like a little water pump thing. It feels quite odd but not painful, and it can make you feel a bit dizzy afterwards.

And for people saying cotton buds, I was told by my GP that they actually exacerbate the problem. They just push the wax back in.

ReputationRep:
    GP -> ear drops to soften the wax -> water syringe. Should it fail to rinse out, vacuum device in hospital (which the GP will state is technically safer than syringing anyway).

ReputationRep:
    blatant troll.

ReputationRep:
    Drops of olive oil inside your ear =)
    Good luck with whatever you do^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neville 'Facking' Bartos)
    Thanks, but as others have said, putting things in your ears can push the ear wax into the ear drum etc.

(Original post by maxfire)
    blatant troll.
    What makes you say that?

OK, thanks everyone for the replies. I've just remembered I still have a ear wax removal drop thing (called Mack's Wax Away). It doesn't always work, when it does you can hear it foam.

I'll try it.

Edit - hmm... no foaming so I don't know if it's really working (according to the box this happens when it comes into contact with the ear wax due to the release of oxygen).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2012
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.