Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Will I have enough loan left after the first halls of residence rent installment? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am going to University in London and my halls of residence rent is going to cost me £135 per week. I've been informed that I have to pay a first rent installment of £2,300 on my move-in date to cover the first term (September to the end of December), but this seems to me like such a lot of money to pay out right at the start of uni and now I'm slightly worried that my first loan/grant installment is not going to be enough to cover a £2,300 first rent payment AND food & travel for 3 months up until Christmas.

I'm a huge worrier and I'm pretty terrified that I'm going to be left SO skint after my move-in date :confused:

I know I'll have to find a job but I'm not from London and so I'll only be able to start job-hunting after I move!

Does anybody have any idea of how much the first loan & grant installment is in September?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    How much loan/grant do you get?

I find that if you budget properly you should be fine. What transport do you need? If all else fails, the University should have a hardship fund.

After Christmas, consider getting a job.

ReputationRep:
    Your first payment is £3700 so you will have over £1000, I was gonna go London but got put of because of the cost

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    How much loan/grant do you get?

I find that if you budget properly you should be fine. What transport do you need? If all else fails, the University should have a hardship fund.

After Christmas, consider getting a job.
    I get the full loan and the full maintenance grant (being from a low-income family is proving useful for once aha!) so I'm hoping things will be okay. I'm just getting a bit worried seeing as £8,000 (the estimated total of my loan & grant) divided by three terms comes to about £2,700 a term and being left with about £400 for three months food & travel seems a bit frightful!

I'll need to get a bus to Uni & back every day as my halls are a fair few miles away from where I'll be studying so travel will definitely mount up each week.

I guess I should try and stop worrying until I'm completely sure of how much I'm going to receive each term & until I can plan my budget properly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kane_Fizz)
    Your first payment is £3700 so you will have over £1000, I was gonna go London but got put of because of the cost
    oh wow, I didn't know it'd be that much, I don't really have any need at all to worry if that's the first amount how did you find that out?

yeah London is SO expensive, I applied there because I have quite a lot of family down there and I wanted to study in a city I was familiar with that wasn't my hometown but all the costs are beginning to mount up now...!

ReputationRep:
    I've just heard it could be more for London? So who knows you could end up with even more? My uni (Leicester) sent it to me yesterday with all loan stuff on there. Don't forget you can get loads of student overdrafts for a couple of k's everywhere. I recomend taking a overdraft out near the end of year one and going on a holiday with all your new uni friends????

ReputationRep:
    well I'm setting up a NatWest account which has a £1,250 interest-free overdraft for the first year but obviously I'd only want to use that as an emergency thing seeing as I don't want to be getting into any more debt!

that's good of Leicester to send you loan info, I wish UAL would send me something! I know your amounts probably won't be the same as mine seeing as I'll be in London but could you give me an idea of how much you get in your second & third terms too?

thanks for the help btw
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by roxy.)
    I get the full loan and the full maintenance grant (being from a low-income family is proving useful for once aha!) so I'm hoping things will be okay. I'm just getting a bit worried seeing as £8,000 (the estimated total of my loan & grant) divided by three terms comes to about £2,700 a term and being left with about £400 for three months food & travel seems a bit frightful!

I'll need to get a bus to Uni & back every day as my halls are a fair few miles away from where I'll be studying so travel will definitely mount up each week.

I guess I should try and stop worrying until I'm completely sure of how much I'm going to receive each term & until I can plan my budget properly!
    If you get annual/termly bus passes, that will work out cheaper. Say that leaves you with £350. That's £116 per month. Less than £30 a week.

Now, food can definitely be done on a budget. I am going to assume you're not catered. 9p noodles are your friends :p: Buy in bulk (e.g. pasta) and look for the bargains. Try picking up a student cookbook, they generally have some good ideas for little cash, and the TSR wiki has some good ideas as well Once you get to know your flatmates, you might even chip in to make larger meals (ergo, cheaper) or take it in turns to cook.

You will have to balance food with going out; if you want to go out lots you won't necessarily be able to afford to eat properly. BUDGET what you have each week and try not to go over it.

Students aren't know for an abundance of cash, but we all get through it

Good luck! You will have fun, I promise. It forces you to be that little more creative!

ReputationRep:
    If you get annual/termly bus passes, that will work out cheaper. Say that leaves you with £350. That's £116 per month. Less than £30 a week.

Now, food can definitely be done on a budget. I am going to assume you're not catered. 9p noodles are your friends :p: Buy in bulk (e.g. pasta) and look for the bargains. Try picking up a student cookbook, they generally have some good ideas for little cash, and the TSR wiki has some good ideas as well Once you get to know your flatmates, you might even chip in to make larger meals (ergo, cheaper) or take it in turns to cook.

You will have to balance food with going out; if you want to go out lots you won't necessarily be able to afford to eat properly. BUDGET what you have each week and try not to go over it.

Students aren't know for an abundance of cash, but we all get through it

Good luck! You will have fun, I promise. It forces you to be that little more creative!
    thanks so much for all of your help Ice_Queen! where can I buy 9p noodles?! it sounds as though I may have to live on those :p:

I'm pretty sure I may have to use a little bit of my overdraft if it turns out that my first loan/grant installment IS only around £2,700 (if anybody has heard from Student Finance England about what the installments are, please let me know!) as £116 a month is making me a little bit :eek3: aha!

this is off-topic but I just noticed that you're from Coventry - me too! yay for Coventrians
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by roxy.)
    thanks so much for all of your help Ice_Queen! where can I buy 9p noodles?! it sounds as though I may have to live on those :p:

I'm pretty sure I may have to use a little bit of my overdraft if it turns out that my first loan/grant installment IS only around £2,700 (if anybody has heard from Student Finance England about what the installments are, please let me know!) as £116 a month is making me a little bit :eek3: aha!

this is off-topic but I just noticed that you're from Coventry - me too! yay for Coventrians
    That's quite alright :p:

You can get the noodles from Asda, Tesco, anywhere like that. Don't be afraid to go to different stores to get the best deals (if you can! A bus pass should allow you to do so?); for instance get your noodles from Tesco, fruit/veg from the local market (I can get vegetables and fruit for a meal plus snacks for under £2), and chocolate from Lidl (18 cadbury mini rolls for £1.99? Yes please!)

You will be fine, you'll manage to get through it! If you do use your overdraft, do try and get it paid off with a job asap. Jobs are hard to find, but keep trying. Bar jobs are fairly easy to find.

Haha I'm not a Coventrian born and bred, I moved here for University but never went back to Shropshire! Where do/did you live, if that's not too much to ask?

ReputationRep:
    That's quite alright :p:

You can get the noodles from Asda, Tesco, anywhere like that. Don't be afraid to go to different stores to get the best deals (if you can! A bus pass should allow you to do so?); for instance get your noodles from Tesco, fruit/veg from the local market (I can get vegetables and fruit for a meal plus snacks for under £2), and chocolate from Lidl (18 cadbury mini rolls for £1.99? Yes please!)

You will be fine, you'll manage to get through it! If you do use your overdraft, do try and get it paid off with a job asap. Jobs are hard to find, but keep trying. Bar jobs are fairly easy to find.

Haha I'm not a Coventrian born and bred, I moved here for University but never went back to Shropshire! Where do/did you live, if that's not too much to ask?
    18 mini-rolls for £1.99?! :eek: I'm definitely finding the nearest Lidl ASAP when I move! thanks so much for all the tips, before your post I didn't even know 9p noodles existed :p: it looks as though I'm going to learn to become the best bargain-hunter around over the next few months!

apparently there are quite a few jobs going in London at the moment, I have a few friends & family down there who are keeping their eyes open for me at the moment, so I'm hoping I'll find something in the first month or so. I want a job ASAP so I can fund my nights out!

haha it's not too much to ask at all, I live in Tile Hill near to the big Sainsburys off the A45. how about you?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by roxy.)
    18 mini-rolls for £1.99?! :eek: I'm definitely finding the nearest Lidl ASAP when I move! thanks so much for all the tips, before your post I didn't even know 9p noodles existed :p: it looks as though I'm going to learn to become the best bargain-hunter around over the next few months!

apparently there are quite a few jobs going in London at the moment, I have a few friends & family down there who are keeping their eyes open for me at the moment, so I'm hoping I'll find something in the first month or so. I want a job ASAP so I can fund my nights out!

haha it's not too much to ask at all, I live in Tile Hill near to the big Sainsburys off the A45. how about you?
    Haha I know, Lidl is awesome. Just shop around, don't buy stuff if you can't afford it, even if it is on offer. Need before greed. I guess shopping with my mom drilled it into me (Dad retired, Mom worked part time for less than £10k so we were good at bargain hunting).

Ah I know where you mean. I live off Binley Road, about twenty minutes walk from the University.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 12, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.