Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is looking different important to you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    In the days of Primark and Topshop I feel like the only one who can't get along with high street shopping. My individuality and creativity are so important to me. The fact of buying anything from Primark makes me sick.

I just don't get how some people can go crazy over clothes that over 3000000 other people in the city are wearing.

(yes i know that it's impossible to be the only person in the UK with a certian piece of clothing LOL. You know what i mean)

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, i hate people who follow all the trends...damn sheeple, i have my own style and im proud of it...and no it does not mean i dress goth or emo, just individualised

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean, I love nothing better than going in a random boutique and finding a really cute outfit, I have an odd style and if my friends started looking the same I would be gutted...

I hate clones anyway, people that look like other people drives me madddddd.. be yourself, it's more fun

Thing is, I am interested in fashion and some trends are rather lovely, if so, I will wear it, but at the moment there are awful fashions and these 'high street store clones' go in and buy them and walk around looking like a mong for weeks, until the next best/worst thing is out.

ReputationRep:
    Not really. All that matters is that I don't change my style to fit in with something I hate. However, if what I like is something which is popular, I'll still wear it.

I think it's a bit pretentious when people are desperate to stand out. If the clothes they like are unique and different, then all the better. But as long as they're comfortable in their clothes and they actually like them, all is well.

ReputationRep:
    I've always stuck out like a sore thumb, so naturally I don't often buy my clothes from lower-end stores like Primark. I hate the low quality and I also hate wearing the same thing as someone else.

I was called 'Bohemian' by my art teacher when I was 14 - but then I did go into mufty day in a pair of flared 70's jeans (with the fabric inserts in the leg) and a tye-dye hippy top with mirrors on it. I've never nothing anything 'by half' lol.

My individuality is very important to me.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I think it's a bit hypocritical. There is nothing better than being yourself...so whether that is shopping at Primark or a charity shop or a random boutique that is your choice. When everyone 'tries' to look different...that means you're not being yourself. In that sense, everyone becomes sheep just like the ones who go to Primark.

IMO...I don't like ppl wearing the same clothes as me and looking like a clone. But I shop on the high street- so it's almost impossible that others don't own what I own. I just wear what I like. I used to shop at Primark I don't anymore b/c I think the quality is too poor.

ReputationRep:
    Not really, I think the people that try and be different can sometimes be just as bad as the people who want to look like others. I just wear what I like tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, just looking presentable.

Though, when I walk through the city centre I can point at people and remark ''Oh there's my t-shirt/jeans/jacket'' - that's what you get for shopping at Primarni.

ReputationRep:
    I do occasionally shop in Primark and Topshop (well, I did before I moved abroad anyway) and I shop in chains here as well, but I am a BIG internet shopper when it comes to clothes and that makes it easier to get things that nobody else is wearing.

I think as far as my general style goes, I actually really love wearing really smart clothes like pencil skirts/shirts etc...I really enjoy the feeling of looking smart, which I know not many people do. However, as one of the posters above said, I tend to just wear what I like and if occasionally (and I do mean really occasionally!) that happens to be what's in fashion then I'm not going to jump off a cliff.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, it doesn't even cross my mind. If I like it and it so happens to be from Topshop (which it usually is), then I will wear it.
    If I see someone wearing the same thing as me then it's not THE END OF THE WORLD!!!!!! because it's never the same identical outfit, just an item or two.
    I just think wear what you like and forget about everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    If we all looked different, we would all have something in common anyway! :awesome: :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Not massively important, no. Although, if I see a nice bracelet/top and realise no-one else will probably have it, I do feel "I'm going to be unique, yay!" lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inkstains)
    Not really. All that matters is that I don't change my style to fit in with something I hate. However, if what I like is something which is popular, I'll still wear it.

I think it's a bit pretentious when people are desperate to stand out. If the clothes they like are unique and different, then all the better. But as long as they're comfortable in their clothes and they actually like them, all is well.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    When I buy clothes, I don't really think about whether I will stand out in them or not... I just buy what I like. Perhaps my individuality comes from being able to wear a polka dot 50's style dress one day, and baggy army-style pants with a tank top the next day. I don't know many people that do that, but I doubt I'm only one either.

I literally just wear what I want when I want to and don't really care about how I'll look walking down the street... whether I'll stand out or not.

What I violently despise is buying something just because it's in style and "the hot, new thing". Like how gladiator sandals seem to be this year... even though they came out ages ago. I won't ever buy something because that's what everyone else is wearing. I'll buy it because I like/want it. Whether or not other people have it too makes no difference to me.

ReputationRep:
    i always look different :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I just buy clothes I like, whether they're from a high street or a random shop where no one else will have anything like it. I've never been too bothered about standing out as far as my clothes go - I think I express my individuality in other ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myheadsbeenspinning)
    When I buy clothes, I don't really think about whether I will stand out in them or not... I just buy what I like. Perhaps my individuality comes from being able to wear a polka dot 50's style dress one day, and baggy army-style pants with a tank top the next day. I don't know many people that do that, but I doubt I'm only one either.

I literally just wear what I want when I want to and don't really care about how I'll look walking down the street... whether I'll stand out or not.

What I violently despise is buying something just because it's in style and "the hot, new thing". Like how gladiator sandals seem to be this year... even though they came out ages ago. I won't ever buy something because that's what everyone else is wearing. I'll buy it because I like/want it. Whether or not other people have it too makes no difference to me.
    I despise Gladiator sandals and those black leggings all the ladies seem to wear these days

ReputationRep:
    I buy stuff from Primark etc but I also buy stuff from random charity shops and boutiques. I don't see how it's such a big deal wearing the same thing as someone else? I mean, everyone wears jeans (or a very large majority does) so arguably people dress relatively similarly anyway.

ReputationRep:
    To me it USED to be really important.. i mean i went as far has dying part of my hair purple.. buying really expensive 'different' clothes etccc
    this was due to the group of people i hung around with, it was all about being different so i just got sucked in.

Im not with those people anymore but i do try to look different in my own way.

where i live all the boys wear G Star and Amarni t shirts with nike trainers etccc

and thats just not me, i dont own ANY of that stuff so i make a deliberate attempt to look different from them.

IMO you can still look different even with 'mainstream' clothes like primark and topshop, its how you wear it and how you carry yourself that makes you stand out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    flared 70's jeans (with the fabric inserts in the leg)
    :eek: i thought i was the only kid who did that?! at 11/12 i did that to all my jeans

it matters to me a tiny bit. i have no desire to buy crap and i won't mindlessly follow trends, but i have bought a few bits from topshop recently and i won't go out of my way to look different.
    it's a mixture of what's comfy and what i think looks good, regardless of whether the general population of teenage girls approves. i wear wool tights in july, shred t-shirts, and will hunt down a dress that came out two years ago simply because i love it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.