Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is looking different important to you? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhii)
    :ditto:
    totally agree.

this one guy i knew threw away his gucci pouch a month after getting it because it started to become popular and he didnt wanna look like he was copying other people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by questionmark)
    Tbh I think it's a bit hypocritical. There is nothing better than being yourself...so whether that is shopping at Primark or a charity shop or a random boutique that is your choice. When everyone 'tries' to look different...that means you're not being yourself. In that sense, everyone becomes sheep just like the ones who go to Primark.

IMO...I don't like ppl wearing the same clothes as me and looking like a clone. But I shop on the high street- so it's almost impossible that others don't own what I own. I just wear what I like. I used to shop at Primark I don't anymore b/c I think the quality is too poor.
    I totally agree with your point :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I just try to be myself, whether that's mainstream or not I don't really care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yusuf.T)
    To me it USED to be really important.. i mean i went as far has dying part of my hair purple.. buying really expensive 'different' clothes etccc
    this was due to the group of people i hung around with, it was all about being different so i just got sucked in.

Im not with those people anymore but i do try to look different in my own way.

where i live all the boys wear G Star and Amarni t shirts with nike trainers etccc

and thats just not me, i dont own ANY of that stuff so i make a deliberate attempt to look different from them.

IMO you can still look different even with 'mainstream' clothes like primark and topshop, its how you wear it and how you carry yourself that makes you stand out.
    Very good point there actually.

ReputationRep:
    totally agree.

this one guy i knew threw away his gucci pouch a month after getting it because it started to become popular and he didnt wanna look like he was copying other people
    it's people like that who annoy me... :rolleyes:
    shocking... :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I have no style. At least clothes wise.

So it doesn't exactly bother me as such.

ReputationRep:
    I do like the fact that I don't wear the same stuff as everyone else...

ReputationRep:
    Not really. To me it's important to wear what you like and what you feel comfortable in. If it's different, good for you, if it isn't then it's no problem.

People who dress up just to be different are fairly irksome people in my experience. But then again, I don't believe fashion is tied to personality. Never really understood people who think their fashion has to directly reflect their personality in the most contraversial way possible. Rebels without a cause.

ReputationRep:
    It sort of matters to me.

I had a bit of a wake up call when I was about 13 and got my Mum to buy me a tshirt from a well known shop of a well known cartoon character. I thought it was the bees knees, untill we went out as a family one day and we saw about 5 other girls wearing it. I refused to wear it ever again.

But then again a few years before that I'd made my Mum buy me a pair of purple chords because I thought they looked awesome and unique, but then I guess I hit puberty overnight and was too embarrassed to wear them.

Nowadays I try to not follow fashion, I try to chose clothes that suit and fit me well. And I have a wardrobe full of mistakes that I'm too embarrassed to wear :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhii)
    it's people like that who annoy me... :rolleyes:
    shocking... :yep:
    yeah in was like WTF??!!

his response

'i cant be seen in that stuff anymore man! its all about being different'
    :rolleyes:
    yeah waste £200 at the risk of having something someone else has :woo: :woo: :woo:

I have a lot of t shirts and stuff from america and i do like that some of the stuff i have no one can really get here in the uk but im not gonna throw it away if someone does have it for God's sake!

i remember i wore this addias muhammed ali t shirt and this guy on the plane asked me 'hey buddy where did you get that t shirt, ive never seen anything like it before!?'
    i told him where he could get it from happily, but i know people who would have told that same man to **** off and say 'nooo you aint gonna get something ive got alright!'

ReputationRep:
    yeah in was like WTF??!!

his response

'i cant be seen in that stuff anymore man! its all about being different'
    :rolleyes:
    yeah waste £200 at the risk of having something someone else has :woo: :woo: :woo:

I have a lot of t shirts and stuff from america and i do like that some of the stuff i have no one can really get here in the uk but im not gonna throw it away if someone does have it for God's sake!

i remember i wore this addias muhammed ali t shirt and this guy on the plane asked me 'hey buddy where did you get that t shirt, ive never seen anything like it before!?'
    i told him where he could get it from happily, but i know people who would have told that same man to **** off and say 'nooo you aint gonna get something ive got alright!'
    Yeah its the same with me! When people say they like what I'm wearing and ask where I got it from, I take it as a compliment and tell them! :yep:
    People that try to buy things just to be unique are such losers :p:

ReputationRep:
    shows character. not too different or you look eccentric

ReputationRep:
    I hate going out on a night out and everybody having the same stupid hairstyles with red/purple hair, an ear or both stretched an all saints t shirt with a belly button cleavage, jeans halfway down the arse and pinned at the bottom and pumps with neon laces. Well either that or grey trackies, pumps and a henleys t shirt.

Here it is literally what everyone wears on a night out and its just pathetic. Originality is important

ReputationRep:
    I wear what I like regardless of whether I think everyone else/no one else will be wearing it. I wear what I like and what suits me and that's what matters

ReputationRep:
    This is an interesting website......

http://www.exactitudes.com/index.php

Made me think of when people are individuals they end up looking all the same anyway.

ReputationRep:
    looking a bit different, yes.
    looking so different that people gawp cos you look weird, no.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really care about looking different to everyone else. I only buy and wear things I actually like so if someone else likes them too then that's not a problem for me. When you put together an outfit you make it your own and a lot of the tops I have are 2 or 3 years old so I rarely see anyone else wearing them anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I've never been cool.

But if someone sees me as cool under their own volition... well, I like them! :borat:

ReputationRep:
    Sadly if you think something looks good - chances are others will too - and they'll buy it.

Classic example recently is every other guy in the UK wearing a similar version of the checkered shirt that has become popular in Topman. I mean its nice - but going out it feels like we're all wearing uniform....

ReputationRep:
    Fashion is starting to get all Secret Squirrel haha

shhhhhhhh.... (sorry i have the intro in my head now LOL)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.