Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is looking different important to you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I like what I like, whether that's something from Primark or a random independent store in York.
    It just so happens that what I tend to wear can be seen as 'strange/weird' and many people would prefer otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    No, not at all. My number one priority is if I will like it. When I get dressed, I put on something I think I look nice in.
    I like relatively mainstream clothes (for the US), and that doesn't bother me. But I looked through the Topshop website and did not like it, so I have a feeling I will not be in the mainstream in the UK. This is also ok.

ReputationRep:
    It used to be important to me, like when I was about 14/15 and I went through the whole teenage 'angsty' phase and started dressing as a goth even though what I really wanted was to wear normal jeans and knitwear/cardis/boring tops. I thought trying to look 'unique' was the right thing to do but I soon grew out of it and realised that what matters is that you like the way you look whether it's dressing as a goth or wearing high street clothes. Now I just dress normally and let my personality speak for itself.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I hope not in a pretentious way, but most people think of me as this really boring person, and my clothes are all very mix and matchy, so I like to layer a few different styles and prints and then enjoy feeling mildly interesting when half the people ask me where I've bought something and the other half say "Oh my God what is she wearing?". Because at school the done thing is to dress the same and try and out-personality each other, so I just geta bit of a kick from doing it the other way round and being the silent one in the library that looks like a wannabe art student.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Inkstains)
    I think it's a bit pretentious when people are desperate to stand out.
    This.

I wear what I like and what I feel comfortable in - I don't care whether or not it's considered individual...

ReputationRep:
    Yes but not to the point which I wont wear something thats in fashion if I like it. It turns out that alot of the clothes I like that are sold at primark end up being reduced (says allot about my fashion sense lol).

Its all about how you mix things up I don't think it really matters wear you buy the clothes. Although I cant stand topshop clones they bother me lol.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is.

I go to school in the States, and as it's not a private school, there is no uniform.

So many of the girls at my school follow trends, not just clothes but also hair and make-up, that I refer to them as the 'Stepford Teens'.

I don't feel the need to be like them, I don't need fashion magazines or so-called 'experts' to tell me what I should be wearing, I'll dress how I want.

ReputationRep:
    i agree, i have a personal vendetta against all high street shops (for men especially) they are just topman with slightly different price ranges.
    however, i allow the exception of primark to buy jeans from, simply because they are so cheap (i once got a pair for £1!)

ReputationRep:
    It's not important to me at all, infact I try to look like everyone I meet ... EVERYONE!

ReputationRep:
    Everyone tries to look different, but end up looking the same.

I'm more of a jeans, boots, white t-shirt man but i have plenty of fashion student friends who froth at the mouth at the prospect of going to vintage stores and make me look very much average.

ReputationRep:
    I look pretty different from most people tbh - I'm not really the kind of person to follow the latest trends. No moniez for that.

ReputationRep:
    Ultimately there's no point.
    The want to look or be different makes you as common as those who follow cultural uniforms, it makes no difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pocketfulofposy)
    I don't need fashion magazines or so-called 'experts' to tell me what I should be wearing, I'll dress how I want.
    You think you have free will with what you wear? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It is so tiring to find another thread full of people that feel like they have to channel their personalities through their clothes. It is so superficial and so depressing: as if any of us really have absolute free will about anything, let alone what we wear!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pocketfulofposy)
    Yes it is.

I go to school in the States, and as it's not a private school, there is no uniform.

So many of the girls at my school follow trends, not just clothes but also hair and make-up, that I refer to them as the 'Stepford Teens'.

I don't feel the need to be like them, I don't need fashion magazines or so-called 'experts' to tell me what I should be wearing, I'll dress how I want.
    And yet your signature tells us you're a Twilight fan. Wow...that's not like everyone else at all :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Not really.

I buy what I like, sure. But I also buy what I can afford. And I buy what I need. Sadly the amount of stuff I need for work means I rarely get a chance to buy lovely clothes for me.

Cheaper shops are a good way to pick up stuff that's currently in fashion, but not really a classic stylish thing for forever. I think people who knock Primark do dismiss the shoppers there as trend-following sheep. That's unfair. I do buy stuff that's on trend, but only if I like it! I'm not a slavish moron to fashion, please. Primark lets you pick up the fashion stuff that isn't worth spending more than a tenner on, because you don't expect it to last. Of course, the fast disposable fashion thing is another argument, and it is only really one or two things every few months that I don't expect to keep. I don't buy even hallf my wardrobe from there, just bits and pieces. But people seem to recoil in horror at the idea of it. Hm.

I wish I could shop in boutiques for all my stuff, but the high street/department stores it is.

ReputationRep:
    I think some people try to hard to look different. Reminds me of goths and school telling everyone that they were not sheep (we didn't have a uniform) and then wearing the same damn thing as all the other goths.

I wear what I like, and what suits me. If other people are wearing it then it doesn't really bother me. I'm not threatened by clothes, I am unique is other ways

ReputationRep:
    I wear what I want, when I want. I don't really like Primark though, only for the quality of clothes, but for winter jumpers I don't mind at all.

I had a stage of wearing Dungarees full of badges, and I would do again if i could find more dungarees :P

If I like it, and would wear it, I don't really care if other people do too, but I would not like to be seen as a sheep! My dress sense is pretty sporadic anyway, so theres not really a chance of that.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think looking unique is very important, you draw from your inspirations and reflect it in how you present yourself.

I tend to buy most of my clothes online, which suits me fine, as I hate clothes shopping in public - I get so paranoid! It tends to be a lot of 60s shift dresses, high-waisted skirts and Aztec patterns with me - although one of my friends recently referred to my style as "Boho", and I immediately shrieked and ran away in horror.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.