Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to buy a present for my boyfriend's dad and possibly granddad, and they love whisky - can anyone recommend what would be best for around £20 - £30?

ReputationRep:
    A special edition Jack Daniels, or maybe a normal Jack Daniels bottle with some Whiskey Glasses or something?

http://www.jackdaniels-store.co.uk/agescreen.html

ReputationRep:
    I'm not much of a whisky expert tbh, this may help:

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Shopp...hisky&SortBy=3

ReputationRep:
    Basically, find out what kind of whisky they like, and get them a bottle of that.

It'll help if you have a rough idea of what type of whisky they like. If they like bourbon, jack daniels or jim beam might do, and if they like irish, a bottle of Jamesons will do. (From my POV anyhow.)

However, if you're after a nice bottle of Scotch whisky, then I can certainly help you!

Steer clear of getting the famous grouse or bells. These are blended whiskies, and if you're looking to treat your bf's dad, then you'll want to get a nice bottle of single malt whisky. look to make sure it says 'single malt' on the bottle.

I have a few suggestions:

Glenmorangie - Fairly inoffensive. It's a rather generic choice, but it's a quality whisky which will be appreciated.

Glenlivet - A speyside whisky, which means it's fruity, and really rather flavoursome

Laphroaig - Loads of people love this one. It's kinda like the marmite of the whisky world. It's got a unique taste which some (including myself) love, but others aren't so fond of.

Talisker - A fiery whisky, which is actually rather pleasant.

My main advice on buying Scotch is to get a good quality whisky, at least 10 years old, and a single malt. Check with your bf to see what they usually drink, and I could possibly recommend a few more for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terryw)
    A special edition Jack Daniels, or maybe a normal Jack Daniels bottle with some Whiskey Glasses or something?

http://www.jackdaniels-store.co.uk/agescreen.html
    Definitely don't get JD. It's fine for mixing but that's it.
    Go with something BlackpoolCraig suggested, although Laphroig is a risky choice.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If you're unsure, go with Glenmorangie. You cannot go wrong with it

ReputationRep:
    You can't beat a good single malt whisky - my mum's (perhaps not so great) method is anything with the name "Glen" in it... haha. Do some digging with his family and find out what he likes, but I would steer clear of blended things or JD really.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.