Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girls who have been attacked randomy...getting over the fear Watch

Hi ALL

Ive said girls in the title but anyone can answer. I had a bit of a scary experience recently. I do boxing just started to try and increase my confidence. Its not in the best part of the city but Ive never had any issue before. I was walking out of class early the other day, its a girls class and there are usually a lot of people in the gym.

When I got to the road there were 4 black guys, I think this area houses a lot of asylum seekers or something anyway, they surrounded me and started shouting things, one of them asked for my bag. I said no and I just walked straight past them I didnt even look at them. Its a main road and it was 7pm there were lots of cars, they didnt follow me or anything but I was left really really shock up. I just got into my car and did a u turn so I wouldnt have to drive past them.I think its more the fear of what could happen more than what happened.
    Anyway I dnt want to stop going to my class but then I spoke to my flatmate and he said oh waht if they were foloowing u which didnt make me feel any better.

I want to go back to my class but im scared. Im hopign that it was more opportunity than them actually wanting to hurt me. My other mate made a good point of saying there were four of them if they really wanted to mug u they could have done it and run before anyone could get out the car.

Can anyone help offer any advise?

I am going to go back and just park my car closer but im relaly shook up

ReputationRep:
    buy some pepper spray...

Its a wee bit illegal but your safety is more important.

ReputationRep:
    Bring a machine gun then fight!!!

ReputationRep:
    buy a personal alarm thingy?

ReputationRep:
    Buy a personal alarm? They're pretty loud. Also pepper spray would be good.

ReputationRep:
    pepper spray and maybe a self defense class too, just because they really teach you what you can do if someone actually does something ... i really know how you feel though, cause i was sexually harrased twice, quite a few friends of mine got mugged ... yet, im actually living in a safe area, which just shows it happens everywhere.
    just try to appear confident and everything, and maybe dont go alone too often and its hopefully fine
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Your friend was right - if they wanted to mug you, they would have done so. Maybe they were trying to be clever/funny (i.e. stupid) and didn't really think about the concequences? As VanillaLatte says above, look confident, and try not to go out when it's dark alone if you can avoid it - that'll proably help your confidence more than it will help keep you safe (whatever you hear in the news, the UK is pretty safe).

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    i had a near rape experience recently, i was backed into a corner and touched up by 2 guys in hoodies, crying etc, luckily a man walked round the corner and yelled at them and they ran off but god knows what would;ve happened, well we know what would've happened but... it cut me up alot and i've had a few nightmares etc all i can say is NEVER go anywhere alone.

hope you're ok
    x

ReputationRep:
    it is hard to get over things like that..
    I had a really bad experience once which almost involved a mugging and sexual assult, and ive had my run in with a fair few creeps in my time, but i think i have some kind of knack of just putting things in the back of my mind... but i find that talking to people, especially my close friends really helped me to get over it
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Love.Angel.Music.Baby)
    i had a near rape experience recently, i was backed into a corner and touched up by 2 guys in hoodies, crying etc, luckily a man walked round the corner and yelled at them and they ran off but god knows what would;ve happened, well we know what would've happened but... it cut me up alot and i've had a few nightmares etc all i can say is NEVER go anywhere alone.

hope you're ok
    x
    I'm sorry to hear what happened but you shouldn't let it debilitate your life by never going anywhere alone.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.