Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Depression: is there anything I can do before I go to the doctor? Watch

I think it's depression, I've had it before and I think I'm having it again. I've literally not stopped crying for the past 2 hours and I can't think of one good reason for it. I'm worried that I'm going to end up crying all night and am not going to be able to get up to go to work in the morning.

A bit about me: I'm pretty convinced it's a hormone or chemical imbalance because it's come on for no reason what so ever, there's nothing that's hugely changed in my life and I've had a couple of stressful weeks but nothing compared to what I've been through before. I'm missing my boyfriend (as we're long distance) but he's nothing but supportive and will do anything for me. I live on my own but go back home (parents) most weekends.

So before everyone starts telling me to go to the doctor, what can I do tonight and over the next week to make me feel a bit better? (because I can't get an appointment for a week at least) Or at least enough to make the crying stop? And is there any over the counter stuff I can take for it?

ReputationRep:
    Afaik there aren't otc pills that will stop you crying, you ask the doctor for them. :p:

But in the meantime try keeping busy, watch disney films, chat with your friends a lot, treat yourself - if you like ice cream, then pig out, if you like baths then have one with candles bubble bath, the works, anything to keep you busy and feeling special.

Oh and :hugs: depression is a *****.

exercise can boost your serotonin 'happy hormone' levels. Do something gentle or perhaps better still, make your heart work a little bit more by going for a jog or go swimming....

ReputationRep:
    As much as you dont want to hear it, i think you can go to see the doctor, they keep a few appointments by for people that need to see the doctor on a quite urgent basis, if this is really making you struggle i would consider to ring up the doctors and ask if it is possible for you to take one of these.

Could you take some sick leave from work and then go and visit your boyfriend, or parents for the week, it may be better for you to have some people that you want to be around you for support, if not maybe make sure you have friends around you most of the next week, im sure they would want to help out.

ReputationRep:
    Read up on Rational emotive therapy or CBT. Apart from that try some form of meditation.

ReputationRep:
    Well you can make an emergency appointment with your doctor, which is what i'd advise.

I don't know how true this is for you, but a lot of people with depression can't explain it to the doctor well in words, if you try to write out how you're feeling and what you want to say to your doctor, it may allow you to vent and calm down, and then if you feel you can't explain it to the doctor, you can just show him/her what you've written down.

Try having a little bit of dark chocolate too.

ReputationRep:
    I spoke to a trusted teacher, who I've been regularly speaking to ever since.

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    Afaik there aren't otc pills that will stop you crying, you ask the doctor for them. :p:

But in the meantime try keeping busy, watch disney films, chat with your friends a lot, treat yourself - if you like ice cream, then pig out, if you like baths then have one with candles bubble bath, the works, anything to keep you busy and feeling special.

Oh and :hugs: depression is a *****.
    Aww that bubble bath sounds lush, will do that later And thanks for the hugs, it really does means a lot when I'm all on my own :yep:

ReputationRep:
    St Johns Wort.
    It's a mild, herbal anti-depressant available at Boots, Superdrug etc. No prescription needed. It's quite good at alleviating the symptoms of depression.

ReputationRep:
    you should be able to get an appointment with a doctor or an Nurse Practitioner with prescribing rights at your practice within 48 hours ...

if you feel that you are at a big risk of hurting yourself or others at this time get a friend to take you to A+E and ask to see the crisis team ,

if you really can't cope at this moment in time use the outof hours service to get you seen by a doc and/or the crisis team.

ReputationRep:
    i would echo the advice given by 35mm that illicit pharmacological solutions are not appropriate

i'd also steer people away from St john's Wort nless taken on the advice of a prescriber, due to the nasty interactions it has with many medicines used in mental health practice.

(Original post by nasri-diaby)
    cannabis really helps.

don't be an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    don't be an idiot.
    Oh.... I was serious

good to see my opinion counts.

god, i'm gonna go get some pot.

(Original post by tom_tom_tom)
    As much as you dont want to hear it, i think you can go to see the doctor, they keep a few appointments by for people that need to see the doctor on a quite urgent basis, if this is really making you struggle i would consider to ring up the doctors and ask if it is possible for you to take one of these.

Could you take some sick leave from work and then go and visit your boyfriend, or parents for the week, it may be better for you to have some people that you want to be around you for support, if not maybe make sure you have friends around you most of the next week, im sure they would want to help out.
    I think you're right...My heart is telling me to just take some time off for my own good but my head is giving me 101 reasons why I shouldn't... I feel like I could jeopordise my career taking time off and I'd be losing so much money too, I'd feel too guilty
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Go for a walk.

It does work.

(I have bipolarity)

ReputationRep:
    I think you're right...My heart is telling me to just take some time off for my own good but my head is giving me 101 reasons why I shouldn't... I feel like I could jeopordise my career taking time off and I'd be losing so much money too, I'd feel too guilty
    Its a catch 22 im have to say, do you want to continue to struggle though, it is likely to get worse as im sure you know being in this position before, if you dont get some kind of help, or suppport you may be able to get back on your feet alot quicker.

ReputationRep:
    Go for a long walk.

go see doc then he will put you on disability and you WILL get £1000 a month

go see doc then he will put you on disability and you WILL get £1000 a month
    I don't want to go into too much detail about my work situation but to summarise, I'm not being paid at work at the moment, but am having to pay rent, at £750/month.

ReputationRep:
    When im feeling really down I always feel so much better after talking to someone about it, it's comforting that you don't have to bare the whole burden even if you don't know why you're upset

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.