Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i have a part time job in a retail shop now which doesnt pay exceedingly well but ive been there a year and know a lot about it.

i was wondering if its worth transferring my job to another branch in the city where i'll be at uni. (i'll be at uni about 4 miles from shop with no car - only buses)

i know the extra money will come in handy but is it worth the hassle of getting buses and missing weekends for a bit of extra money.

ReputationRep:
    Depends if you need the money ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cupcakee)
    Depends if you need the money ?
    :ditto:

I only worked throughout uni because I needed the money. If I could have afforded to have lazy weekends then I certainly wouldn't have worked!

ReputationRep:
    You don't want to let it burn into study times.

ReputationRep:
    Do one day at the weekend? Or two afternoons or something

ReputationRep:
    no it's not worth it working for a minimum wage, unless you need it for your CV.

ReputationRep:
    Having a job does no harm, but it's probably best to have a job with flexible hours so you have some control on how often you work. Having a job that wants you in every week, even during the exam period, can't be fun.

ReputationRep:
    I would maybe transfer to the other shop and then see how you feel when you get to uni. Personally, I would love to have a job even though I don't need the money because I would like the experience and to have a reference but if you already have some of that and you don't need the extra money, then just see whether it's too much and if it is, resign

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SerenBach)
    i have a part time job in a retail shop now which doesnt pay exceedingly well but ive been there a year and know a lot about it.

i was wondering if its worth transferring my job to another branch in the city where i'll be at uni. (i'll be at uni about 4 miles from shop with no car - only buses)

i know the extra money will come in handy but is it worth the hassle of getting buses and missing weekends for a bit of extra money.
    I work at a shop currently and am doing the thing you are thinking about, the contract hours I will get is 8 which is like 40 quid a week, 4hrs sat an sun prbly. I think its worth while sticking with a company, I'll be working whilst at uni and then during the summer with the same company. I think it shows commitment, which I would think employers would like. and would probably make a change from studying all the time. and the extra money

what I dont want is them ringing me up to work during the week, so I can concentrate on studying. 4hrs on sat an sun for me would be insignificant in the grand scheme of things

so I think it would be best to just do a little something on the weekend, i would leave studying during the week and a bit on weekend

ReputationRep:
    I kept my job and it hasn't really had an impact on my work. I had to cut my contracted hours though, so I was just working one day at the weekend. However, during holidays and now the summer, I've found it very useful having it, as it means I've got something to do, I can get extra hours and the extra money will help me towards my car and stuff. Only bad thing is whilst I was on placement (which was Monday to Friday, 8-5 most days) they kept ringing me and leaving messages asking if I could work that evening, no matter how many times I said I was on placement and couldn't do anything extra which annoyed me!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It really depends on whether you need the money or not.
    You could always ask if they could keep you in mind just for when they need extra staff when people are off sick, or if you could just work during holidays.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.