Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i've got my graduation ceremony tomorrow and im struggling to decide what to wear...i have smart trousers and skirts and blouses and stuff but im not too sure how smart i should be dressed....any suggestions or pics of outfits would be really helpful...im really worried about it!!

Also, hair/make up/accessories/nail varnish....what is the best way to go...obviously not full on make up but im just really rubbish with all of this kind of stuff!!

please help!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *jelly-tots*)
    i've got my graduation ceremony tomorrow and im struggling to decide what to wear...i have smart trousers and skirts and blouses and stuff but im not too sure how smart i should be dressed....any suggestions or pics of outfits would be really helpful...im really worried about it!!

Also, hair/make up/accessories/nail varnish....what is the best way to go...obviously not full on make up but im just really rubbish with all of this kind of stuff!!

please help!!
    Well done! What honours did you graduate with?

ReputationRep:
    isnt anything you're gonna wear gonna be covered by that God awful potato sack gown thing?

either way congrats to you

my sister go her results recently, tho she graduates in october?!

ReputationRep:
    I'd stick to subfusc (dark shoes, dark or nude tights, dark skirt/trousers, white shirt, dark tie if you wear one). If you stroll too far away from that template you tend to be the one looking funny in the departmental photo.

Makeup - keep it pretty neutral. I went for red lipstick which is very me but I did feel quite loud! For the next one I think I'll stick to something a bit more brown-y

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *jelly-tots*)

please help!!
    Gosh you must be extremely proud of yourself, can't wait until when its my turn. Anyway i did say that you should try google and u tube for hair ideas just type in i.e either long or short hair style on images and google pictures will come up of which you can choose or find inspiration from and then use u tube for the make up tutorials, techniques. hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    I think trying to match your makeup with your hood colour is always nice (so just eyeshadow and nails is what I mean). Then go subtle on everything else. I matched my nails to my graduation hood colour for my BA and was complimented on it by the Chancellor when I went up to receive my degree

As for more practical things, wear something classic - all the people who tried to go out on a limb and wear something different for my BA graduation just looked strange (one girl wore a red shirt instead of a white one, and another girl wore a white linen trouser suit). Wear black skirt (not too short) or trousers, and a LONG white shirt (I say long so that you can tuck it into your tights if you wear a skirt, as the hood has to be hooked onto your shirt buttons and the weight can make the shirt ride upwards and look weird).
    Also bring LOTS of safety pins and possibly also hairclips/grips.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    Also bring LOTS of safety pins and possibly also hairclips/grips.
    Yes! You will need these to pin your cap on - mine seemed to get bigger as the day went on and it needed pinning on by the end!

I wore a white shirt, black skirt, nude tights, and black high heels that were sturdy enough to be able to stand up and walk in on a thick-ish carpet. You'll be roasting in your gown, so there isn't any need for a cardigan or suit jacket.

Keep it smart, and make sure you wear a top with buttons so your hood can be attached. A lot of people at my graduation ignored the advice and had to use safety pins which looked a bit daft really!

ReputationRep:
    I read that it's best to wear a collared shirt so they can hook the robes through more easily, so perhaps a smart shirt, pencil skirt and heels?

I like the tip above about matching your eyeshadow and nail polish to your robes.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.