Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Before I say anything I'd like to point out this is completely serious and something I am quite sensitive about, so if you are going to reply just to make fun please don't, it's unnecessary.

When I was younger 14-18 I always had a boyfriend, and plenty of different ones, I used to change relationships every few months and never found it difficult finding a replacement. I know that was fickle and stupid and they were more like very good friends than boyfriends especially since we never went that far, but it just makes me wonder, I'm 20 now, and why do I suddenly find it so difficult to get anyone. I took a gap year and had a few possibles that never went anywhere and one boyfriend that ended pretty soon with us going in different directions in life. In my first year at uni I've only had one boyfriend and we broke up because we were too different as people, but still get on really well.

What am I doing wrong/differently? It's not so much having a boyfriend that bothers me, I'm in a relatively good place for being single at the moment, but it's the fact no guy really seems to want to go out with me. Or at least if they do they don't tell me.

I've got curvier, definitely not fat, but gone from an 8 to a 10-12 but I have a pear-shaped figure, big boobs and hips and a tiny waist, anyone who knows me would agree that my face and general appearance apart from the increase in dress size has improved greatly, I know what I'm doing with my hair and make up a lot better now.

I still have loads of friends so I don't understand what's going wrong, why I'm not meeting anyone.

Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Same as me in a way where I would get girls fancying me and wanting to go out with me couple of years ago. But now I don't get much offers what so ever.

ReputationRep:
    You can meet a new guy or girl around the corner at anytime, from 14-18 you were surrounded by new people from school and first year at uni.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see what you're complaining about. Only 1 relationship in the last year? OH NO! Go a few more years and then you have a case to ***** about.

ReputationRep:
    I have seen soooo many of these threads recently... probably because everyone has a lot of time to think about these things during the uni break :hmmmm:

OP chillax and have fun :P Fun people are attractive! I doubt you are doing anything wrong these days, It could be because at uni meeting people is more complicated... 14 - 18 was different. It was high school crushes, "my mate likes your mate" etc, now you prob spend hours getting ready and hyped up for guys in clubs that dont have the b**** to approach you; that is going to lead to disappointment :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Lol, does it get harder when you grow up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam92)
    Lol, does it get harder when you grow up?
    The sex or getting a boy/girlfriend? :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have a pear-shaped figure, big boobs and hips and a tiny waist, anyone who knows me would agree that my face and general appearance apart from the increase in dress size has improved greatly, I know what I'm doing with my hair and make up a lot better now.
    Oh baby, you're turning me on.:drool:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe people are just over the high-school "more like good friends" stage now, which means that they either want a serious relationship or casual sex with nothing in the middle?
    Just a thought - I have no idea really.

I really doubt it's your appearance, though. From the sounds of it, you're lovely (hourglass, btw. not pearshaped), and anyway, have you not noticed the amount of unattractive people in relationships? Getting a gf/bf has more to do with right place and right time than your appearance or personality.

Bear with it, OP Concentrate on having fun with your friends. Going out's always good, as you can meet new people, and even if you don't, you've had a good time.

ReputationRep:
    lose weight? you gave yourself the answer.

ReputationRep:
    cuz no one wants to be your partner just yet.

ReputationRep:
    I would.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Unrealistic expectations.

Thanks for all the advice, and whoever said lose weight is shallow I would only do that for myself.
    It probably is just a case of right time

ReputationRep:
    I always find that if i go on a night out and go looking for girls i never find the right ones but the nights i go out with the lads to just have fun it ends up going well. Try that with your situation. Dont look for a bf and dont worry about it. Let them find you. if your not sure of anything i said just pm me. if not you will be fine. "be young, be foolish, but be happy"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spanghew)
    Maybe people are just over the high-school "more like good friends" stage now, which means that they either want a serious relationship or casual sex with nothing in the middle?
    Just a thought - I have no idea really.

I really doubt it's your appearance, though. From the sounds of it, you're lovely (hourglass, btw. not pearshaped), and anyway, have you not noticed the amount of unattractive people in relationships? Getting a gf/bf has more to do with right place and right time than your appearance or personality.

Bear with it, OP Concentrate on having fun with your friends. Going out's always good, as you can meet new people, and even if you don't, you've had a good time.

LOL i did better at finding boyfriends when i had acne, backne, chestne and even buttnee

now my skin is clear i dont get the attention i used to.

though i have to say my body has changed quiet abit...if im anything to go by then a guy would rather have a girl whos size 6, no boobs or any girly lumps, so the body of a 13 year old boy, only stretched (5ft 8); with flat hair that was dyed wayy too light and looked obviously fake and tacky and with a v spotty face and body. rather then a size 10 who has somewhere inbetween a pear shaped and an hourglass; who has clear smooth skin and with natural hair that doesnt look or feel like straw (cost alot of money and time to get it back to a healthy state as i can) (well the closest i can get to my natural colour without it being virgin hair)

tbh i think its a confidence thing...when you think you look good you act that way

could be a right time, right place kind of thing

also looks are not the be all and end all; think i was abit more lively, outgoing, confident before

and lets face it, if your asking on an internet forum why your still single it does show your insecurity

but tbh guys dont necessarily go with the best looking girls in clubs (its dark for a start lol), they may get despirate and want a lay so may instead go for the less pretty but more easy sort of girl rather then the one they actually like

and even if you couldpullguys like this or similar, the chances it would lead to a good relationship is small

ReputationRep:
    The best thing I'd advise is to stop looking. Now, because you are wondering about why you're single, even without realising it you're probably giving off the wrong type of vibe to potential boyfriends. Concentrate on having fun, and meeting people for the sake of meeting new people, not to snap up a new boy and one will come along.

ReputationRep:
    You're past peak physics condition. Your hips will slowly widen, your skin will slowly wrinkle and sag. You can fight it as much as you like, but the fact of the matter is no matter how hard you try, you're only going to get worse and worse

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.