Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Mars is the planet of our destiny watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The only people living on mars wil be elite going on holiday. It will be very expensive to make it habitable, there will only be very rich people looking for an experience and vital and highly skilled workers that will make it habitable and will look and extract resources.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Bateman)
    No one is talking about men actually living there, not a lot anyway. The only people living there will be people searching for resources/ extracting resources.

We need skilled people, do you think they're going to send a poor indian to design a building?
    As I said, there would be experts to manage and direct. The pionees would simply do the work. I think we can (and will) have a permanant colony there. It will be small and used mainly for scientific and tourist reasons. It would generate large income for whoever owned it, with only the pioneers living there. Experts would stay long term, but wouldnt be there for their whole life, while tourists would stay as long as they wanted, provided they kept paying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    As I said, there would be experts to manage and direct. The pionees would simply do the work. I think we can (and will) have a permanant colony there. It will be small and used mainly for scientific and tourist reasons. It would generate large income for whoever owned it, with only the pioneers living there. Experts would stay long term, but wouldnt be there for their whole life, while tourists would stay as long as they wanted, provided they kept paying.

so where do the poor people come in?

ReputationRep:
    But how long Mars becomes polluted by humans again.. What are NASA thinking? Colonizing space? retards

To make Mars a colony you'd have millions of poor people with nothing on earth putting together their cash and emigrating.

This is how all emigrations have happened in the past.

What is your problem?

Let me list a few commonly known examples of emigration.

Spanish emigrants to S America.
    British emigrants to N America
    Italian/german/eastern european immigrants to N/S America
    Indians to the world
    Chinese to the world

ALL of these were people without prospects looking for a better life.

:facepalm2:

And once Mars IS set up, IS habitable, WHO will move? WHY will the rich people, those with prospects and those with a good life on earth, emigrate to Mars? Because they fancy an adventure and want to risk losing it all? NO. It's the poor who go because they have nothing here to begin with :facepalm2:
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    They are the pioneers. The ones who live and work their to maintain the colony.

ReputationRep:
    They are the pioneers. The ones who live and work their to maintain the colony.

WTF are you talking about? Who is talking about a colony?
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    WTF are you talking about?
    You asked where the poor come in. My answer was that they are the ones who would live and work at the colony to keep it operational as scientists and tourists came and went. Prehaps you could tell me what part confused you and I can try to explain it better?

ReputationRep:
    You asked where the poor come in. My answer was that they are the ones who would live and work at the colony to keep it operational as scientists and tourists came and went. Prehaps you could tell me what part confused you and I can try to explain it better?

You keep saying keeping it operational, please find me a poor person that can keep mars operational...:rolleyes: i would sell my parents house and bet that he is going to be the next bill gates.

I said from my first post that it is going to need scientists and engineers and skilled builders to make it operational.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    You keep saying keeping it operational, please find me a poor person that can keep mars operational...:rolleyes: i would sell my parents house and bet that he is going to be the next bill gates.

I said from my first post that it is going to need scientists and engineers and skilled builders to make it operational.
    For the third time today, Yes, there would be experts. The pioneers (who would be poor) would do what they were told by the experts. They would do manual labor.

Your whole topic is about how Mars is the new Earth, where people will migrate to.

That's where the poor people come in :top: And refer to above post (you might want to do this Dwayne, if he keeps repeating himself, because he has me ignored) if you don't understand this.

ReputationRep:
    For the third time today, Yes, there would be experts. The pioneers (who would be poor) would do what they were told by the experts. They would do manual labor.
    ffs, for the 100th time, they would need skilled builders..
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    ffs, for the 100th time, they would need skilled builders..
    Training... There would also be some expert builders to act as managers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)

The US already has years of experience and technogy - think they'll be the first there. However, i think when it comes to a widespread exodus of population to space (the first outward emigration from Earth, so to speak) it'll probably be India with it's massive population that will provide most of the people for planet population.

Here is what he said... this is what i was debating before you let yourself in...

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, why I see the importance of humans going further into space, I can't say I ever see a colony on the moon being ... feasible. Not in terms of scientific plausibility, but in terms of the scale that people are thinking here. I mean, the colony would literally have to be only the required scientists and technicians. Why would others go there? There is truly no purpose. Despite the cost being in the billions of pounds, the journey there and back would take years and be incredibly dangerous. And once you're there, there's nothing to do. You'd just be on a small, highly restricted section of Mars.

While there's water etc. on Mars, there's simply not enough resources for us to exploit in order to do a mass emigration. At the very best, all it would do would be to serve as a waypoint between planets for a longer journey to a planet we have terraformed.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Here is what he said... this is what i was debating before you let yourself in...
    Yes. I think they will be there first. They will have experienced people with them. All likely to be from a relatively poor country.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I think they will be there first. They will have experienced people with them. All likely to be from a relatively poor country.

omg, if you want the last word, then just tell me and i'll let you have it.

I am saying mars will not be populated for the sake of it, the people there will be tourists and people building the tourist attractions. There will be people that choose to live there, but they will be rich. There will be people that do the manual labour in the mines etc.. and people that build the houses but that is it. We will not populate that place.

lefty leo was talking about populating it with indians, i disagreed with him and explained why. You joined in and kept giving me the same generic "they will be pioneers" bs.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    omg, if you want the last word, then just tell me and i'll let you have it.

I am saying mars will not be populated for the sake of it, the people there will be tourists and people building the tourist attractions. There will be people that choose to live there, but they will be rich. There will be people that do the manual labour in the mines etc.. and people that build the houses but that is it. We will not populate that place.

lefty leo was talking about populating it with indians, i disagreed with him and explained why. You joined in and kept giving me the same generic "they will be pioneers" bs.
    I'm not trying to have the last word, I think you're wrong. People will stay there to maintain it and will live there. There will need to be these people in order to keep the place going and they will most likely be from a poor overcrowded country. They will be pioneers as they will start the place and will live there. They are likely to be from a country like india. Anyway, This discussion has run its course I think, and I'm sure you will agree

ReputationRep:
    I'm not trying to have the last word, I think you're wrong. People will stay there to maintain it and will live there. There will need to be these people in order to keep the place going and they will most likely be from a poor overcrowded country. They will be pioneers as they will start the place and will live there. They are likely to be from a country like india. Anyway, This discussion has run its course I think, and I'm sure you will agree

No i will not agree, you do want the last word, you keep saying the same thing over and over again, it is as if you're not reading my posts.

look you don't need to post again, i know what it is going to be anyway:

They will be pioneers as they will start the place and will live there. they will keep the place running. They will be the pioneers of mars, you know, to keep the place going for us. They will be mars pioneers and will keep the place running.;

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chidona)
    Tbh, why I see the importance of humans going further into space, I can't say I ever see a colony on the moon being ... feasible. Not in terms of scientific plausibility, but in terms of the scale that people are thinking here. I mean, the colony would literally have to be only the required scientists and technicians. Why would others go there? There is truly no purpose. Despite the cost being in the billions of pounds, the journey there and back would take years and be incredibly dangerous. And once you're there, there's nothing to do. You'd just be on a small, highly restricted section of Mars.

While there's water etc. on Mars, there's simply not enough resources for us to exploit in order to do a mass emigration. At the very best, all it would do would be to serve as a waypoint between planets for a longer journey to a planet we have terraformed.
    A reason for moving there ? persecution of some sort on earth? the discovery of a new material there that it's highly profitable for people to export? a simple desire to make a better life for oneselves? I know I keep saying this but you only need to look at the historical immigrations to the Americas and Australia/New Zealand to find the reasons why people emmigrate to far flung poorly developed colonies. In places such as China (using a modern day analogy) I could easily see them forcibly moving Uighurs and Tibetans there and making them work it.

And theres more than enough water on Mars to terraform it, if you melted all the water in the north and south poles on Mars you'd be able to cover the whole planet in 11 metres worth of water. The hardest part would be thickening the atmosphere which would require constant burning of various fuels and production of co2 and CFC's to create a supercharged version of the greenhouse effect we are started to feel on Earth.

Terraforming Mars would be a bloody hard thing to do, but it's not impossible, scientifically it's possible.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.