Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it's simply about time to pull out our troops from Afghanistan? Does this supposed 'war on terror' even really exist? Even though the American's have so many more troops, MORE deaths have actually occured for us Brits. Does that sicken you?

How do you think we should resolve this 'war on terror'?

Do you feel safer/more fearful of terrorist attacks now at home, seeing as our troops have been out there for the last eight years?

How do you think we should deal with this war? Fight a seemingly futile war, or tackle the inherent problem?

Discuss.

I think the Brits and Americans started this in the 80s, and i think it's their duty to clean it up.

And if they don't, well, the Taliuban take over Afghanistan, intensify their attacks on Pakistan, Pakistan's nuclear arsenal falls into the hands of the Islamic militants, boom India, boom Israel ... no thankyou.

ReputationRep:
    We should fund our ******* military properly and wipe the Taliban out once and for all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    We should fund our ******* military properly and wipe the Taliban out once and for all.
    If only it was that easy to wipe out the Taliban...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cookie Fruit Freak)
    Do you think it's simply about time to pull out our troops from Afghanistan? Does this supposed 'war on terror' even really exist? Even though the American's have so many more troops, MORE deaths have actually occured for us Brits. Does that sicken you?

Do you feel safer/more fearful of terrorist attacks now at home, seeing as our troops have been out there for the last eight years?

How do you think we should deal with this war? Fight a seemingly futile war, or tackle the inherent problem?

Discuss.
    I support our troops out there, they are laying down their lives, they are just pawns of this establishment. I think we should pull out of Afghanistan, it is not our war. Afghanistan has not attacked us. I don't feel safe now and due to a fat Hitler currently residing at 10 downing street. War does not defeat terrorism as such, education on the other hand does.

(Original post by bigmo7)
    It is. Increase military presence, demand military access (and partial temporary occupation rights) from Pakistan, and there goes the Taliban's area of control.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    It would be considerably easier with a properly funded and supported armed forces.

ReputationRep:

Discuss.
    If you don't mind i am just going to copy and paste an answer i gave to this question in a similar thread.

I am sick of everyone using 'terrorism' as an excuse for our agressive invasion of Afghanistan. After the 9/11 attacks it was found the predominant nationality of the terrorists was Saudi Arabian. Yet for political and economic reasons, even with the lack of cooperation from the Saudi government, we have ignored that country in placing blame. The Afghan people did nothing to deserve another war. The Taliban, of course, is closely tied to bin Laden and al-Qaeda, but so are the Pakistanis and the Saudis. Even the United States was a supporter of the Taliban's rise to power, and as recently as August of 2001, we talked oil pipeline politics with them.

The recent French publication of bin Laden, The Forbidden Truth revealed our most recent effort to secure control over Caspian Sea oil in collaboration with the Taliban. According to the two authors, the economic conditions demanded by the U.S. were turned down and led to U.S. military threats against the Taliban. It has been known for years that Unocal, a U.S. company, has been anxious to build a pipeline through northern Afghanistan, but it has not been possible due to the weak Afghan central government. We should not be surprised now that many contend that the plan for the UN to "nation build" in Afghanistan is a logical and important consequence of this desire. The crisis has merely given those interested in this project an excuse to replace the government of Afghanistan. Since we don't even know if bin Laden is in Afghanistan, and since other countries are equally supportive of him, our concentration on this Taliban "target" remains suspect by many.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    I think the Brits and Americans started this in the 80s, and i think it's their duty to clean it up.

And if they don't, well, the Taliuban take over Afghanistan, intensify their attacks on Pakistan, Pakistan's nuclear arsenal falls into the hands of the Islamic militants, boom India, boom Israel ... no thankyou.
    :borat: boom Israel bit :borat:

ReputationRep:
    It is. Increase military presence, demand military access (and partial temporary occupation rights) from Pakistan, and there goes the Taliban's area of control.
    Winning hearts and minds and convincing people that they should reject the Taliban goes beyond funding, it would help obviously....

ReputationRep:

Hmmmm, i think you overestimate the Taliban.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it's simply about time to pull out our troops from Afghanistan?
    Yes.

Does this supposed 'war on terror' even really exist?
    Yes, in the sense that one side is trying to wage it. It's also incredibly stupid to try to make war on a tactic. There will always be nutjobs who get crazy ideas. We can take precautions, but trampling on personal freedoms domestically and internationally is not effective or desirable.

Even though the American's have so many more troops, MORE deaths have actually occured for us Brits. Does that sicken you?
    Yes. I'm sorry the US pulled anyone into this mess.

Nonviolently and morally, respecting the sovereignty of foreign nations as long as they comply with universal standards. Domestically, acting only within the bounds of rationality and legality.
    I'm tired of hearing that excuse from my government as a way for them to get away with murder and waste taxpayer dollars. I'm sorry, but I think the time and resources could be put to better use.

Neither. I think 9/11 was a terrible fluke. I also don't believe it could happen again considering how much airline security has been increased. I don't walk around wondering if a terrorist is going to blow something up, when the chances are infinitesimally small, and will never be completely obliterated.
    I do, however, think our involvement in the Middle East is inspiring a lot of resentment.

(Original post by Aeolus)
    Hmmmm, i think you overestimate the Taliban.
    Not really. Their presence is less than 100 miles from the capital of Pakistan, and forgive me for "underestimating" a country that exists to serve a corrupt and opaque military organization.

ReputationRep:
    Not really. Their presence is less than 100 miles from the capital of Pakistan, and forgive me for "underestimating" a country that exists to serve a corrupt and opaque military organization.
    I am not asian, but I don't think Pakistan's nuclear deterrent is going fall in the hands of the taliban. Your clearly are stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Aeolus seems to think we only went into Afghan for monetary gain, he is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameeso)
    :borat: boom Israel bit :borat:
    How unsurprising that someone supposedly a representative of the religion of 'peace' advocates the killing of millions of innocent people.

ReputationRep:

Ok then,

would you please explain how you think the Taliban could succesfully seize a nuclear weapon from Pakistan.

Corrupt and opaque, maybe... but they are a Military organisation nonetheless. One thing Military organisations love is power. Do you really think they would give up their one, colossal global advantage to a gang of people who for the most part can't read?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I didn't expect such well-thought out replies! :yep:

I actually agree with Bagration. We've pulled ourselves so far into this mess, that the only practical way out is to radically increase support for our troops + finish what needs to be finished. Somewhat childish, but as the epic Bush himself said: 'extreme times call for extreme measures.' :awesome:

(Original post by Aeolus)
    Ok then,

would you please explain how you think the Taliban could succesfully seize a nuclear weapon from Pakistan.

Corrupt and opaque, maybe... but they are a Military organisation nonetheless. One thing Military organisations love is power. Do you really think they would give up their one, colossal global advantage to a gang of people who for the most part can't read?
    It's actually been the subject of considerable concern amongst every power connected to Pakistan. The thing about Pakistan is nobody really knows where most of the arsenals are. If it were to collapse (which is a possibility, an unlikely one but certainly not unplausible), it would be a nightmare.

Look at this map:

http://rjjago.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/pakistan.gif

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Varsity)
    Aeolus seems to think we only went into Afghan for monetary gain, he is wrong.

Good prognosis. :yy:

Would you please explain how i am wrong.

Are you really so naive as to believe America invaded Afghanistan for the people?! To remove a corrupt regime lol!

Then when do the invasions of Zimbabwe/Somalia/Saudi Arabia/North Korea/Pakistan/Venezuela/Iran commence?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.