Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diamond Diva)
    How unsurprising that someone supposedly a representative of the religion of 'peace' advocates the killing of millions of innocent people.
    i was referring to borat, and his one liners against the jews. 'throw the jew down the well' and stuff. comprendes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    It's actually been the subject of considerable concern amongst every power connected to Pakistan. The thing about Pakistan is nobody really knows where most of the arsenals are. If it were to collapse (which is a possibility, an unlikely one but certainly not unplausible), it would be a nightmare.

Look at this map:

http://rjjago.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/pakistan.gif

Oh, of course it is a concern, but like you say it is unlikely. Especially at the moment while Pakistan is being hypocritically suppported by the UN and America.

(Original post by Aeolus)
    Oh, of course it is a concern, but like you say it is unlikely. Especially at the moment while Pakistan is being hypocritically suppported by the UN and America.
    Indeed! And most of the money is being spent on conventional arms in their deluded quest to compete with India. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Indeed! And most of the money is being spent on conventional arms in their deluded quest to compete with India. :rolleyes:

Which will only end in tears. :yep:

Which will only end in tears. :yep:
    Well, probably not.

It looks like they've finally atleast appeared to get the message (they're a bit like NK in a way - they create their own problems and then demand foreign aid with threats of danger). As Pakistan stagnates economically and India strengthens, it is inevitable that ONE DAY they will take the hint.

Until then, well, we sit tight and wait, ever fearful of nuclear war :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    We should fund our ******* military properly and wipe the Taliban out once and for all.
    what...oh...wow!
    step aside, we have a genius in the room!
    I mean, Christ...wipe out the Taliban once and for all...why didn't anyone else think of this??

ReputationRep:
    Well, probably not.

It looks like they've finally atleast appeared to get the message (they're a bit like NK in a way - they create their own problems and then demand foreign aid with threats of danger). As Pakistan stagnates economically and India strengthens, it is inevitable that ONE DAY they will take the hint.

Until then, well, we sit tight and wait, ever fearful of nuclear war :rolleyes:
    lol, i did'nt mean radioactive tears, i meant tears of fail.

lol, i did'nt mean radioactive tears, i meant tears of fail.
    What you mean by that? :p:

ReputationRep:
    What you mean by that? :p:

It is exactly like you said, Pakistan is a corrupt, opaque military organisation which harbours terrorists. (i would not be surprised if they were taking bribes from Al Quada).

Not only that but economically and socially they will eat themselves alive soon enough. Simply because they would rather have this competition with India.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxfire)
    what...oh...wow!
    step aside, we have a genius in the room!
    I mean, Christ...wipe out the Taliban once and for all...why didn't anyone else think of this??
    haha.

our field commanders on the ground have told us that with appropriate funding and resources our offensive operations against the taliban could be achieved;
    a. in much shorter time
    b. with much better results
    c. with less casualties

they've also said that right now we have the manpower to hold our positions but not to attack the taliban. sure, if we're going to sit and take punishment, obviously we're going to be there for a long time. if we're going to fight a proper offensive war, we need more helicopters, more troops, more air support and a clearer political mandate to actually find and attack the taliban.

we aren't fighting the same sort of war we fought in iraq. the media plays this off as an insurgency because saying it's a "conventional war" makes the public ask very different questions. although there are insurgency elements, this IS a conventional war. the taliban do hold ground, they do have bases and centres of C3I, they do have supply routes, all of which we can hit. the first step to destroying the taliban is actually occupying all of afghanistan.

It is exactly like you said, Pakistan is a corrupt, opaque military organisation which harbours terrorists. (i would not be surprised if they were taking bribes from Al Quada).

Not only that but economically and socially they will eat themselves alive soon enough. Simply because they would rather have this competition with India.
    You're pretty enlightened for a Communist :teeth:

(Original post by Begration)
    haha.

our field commanders on the ground have told us that with appropriate funding and resources our offensive operations against the taliban could be achieved;
    a. in much shorter time
    b. with much better results
    c. with less casualties

they've also said that right now we have the manpower to hold our positions but not to attack the taliban. sure, if we're going to sit and take punishment, obviously we're going to be there for a long time. if we're going to fight a proper offensive war, we need more helicopters, more troops, more air support and a clearer political mandate to actually find and attack the taliban.

we aren't fighting the same sort of war we fought in iraq. the media plays this off as an insurgency because saying it's a "conventional war" makes the public ask very different questions. although there are insurgency elements, this IS a conventional war. the taliban do hold ground, they do have bases and centres of C3I, they do have supply routes, all of which we can hit. the first step to destroying the
    Exactly! The only difference between this and the "true" conventional war is the difficulty of the terrain.

ReputationRep:
    You're pretty enlightened for a Communist :teeth:

:rofl: Im not a communist. The last time we conversed i was bedazzled, eyes a glow after recently reading Marx's manifesto.

However, now the dust has settled and i have had time to think it over( and read Lenins State and Revolution :sick:) I have come to the conclusion that a dictatorship of the Proletariat would, and has been be a terrible thing.

My Political idealogy is an ever changing work in progress.

:rofl: Im not a communist. The last time we conversed i was bedazzled, eyes a glow after recently reading Marx's manifesto.

However, now the dust has settled and i have had time to think it over( and read Lenins State and Revolution :icky:) I have come to the conclusion that a dictatorship of the Proletariat would, and has been be a terrible thing.

My Political idealogy is an ever changing work in progress.
    Why would you reach such works? They're so garbage :rolleyes:

It's ironic that i have infact read (some parts of) them :awesome:

Or atleast attempted to before falling asleep. Marx is not an interesting writer :rolleyes: .

And yep, good to hear. Atleast you can yet be redeemed to centre leftyism :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    Not really. Their presence is less than 100 miles from the capital of Pakistan, and forgive me for "underestimating" a country that exists to serve a corrupt and opaque military organization.
    Ok, so just to make this clear. You think a rag-tag guerilla outfit such as the Taliban is able to defeat the Pakistani army, conquer pakistan, take control of it's nuclear arsenal and oppress its 180 million+ inhabitants into submission?

Please clarify.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you reach such works? They're so garbage :rolleyes:

It's ironic that i have infact read (some parts of) them :awesome:

Or atleast attempted to before falling asleep. Marx is not an interesting writer :rolleyes: .

And yep, good to hear. Atleast you can yet be redeemed to centre leftyism :teeth:

On the contrary i am halfway through The Austrian School: Market Order and Entrepreneurial Creativity by Jesus Huerta De Soto. It is invigorating to say the least.

(Original post by Haksa)
    Ok, so just to make this clear. You think a rag-tag guerilla outfit such as the Taliban is able to defeat the Pakistani army, conquer pakistan, take control of it's nuclear arsenal and oppress its 180 million+ inhabitants into submission?

Please clarify.
    The Taliban are a deadly effective guerilla outfit with 30 years of experience at what they do.

Compare that to the Pakistani military which is experience in (losing) conventional wars and that is also where most of their spending goes to - tanks, fighters, missiles, not anti terrorism equipment (eg, drones, troops equipment, body armour).

And no, that wasn't the point. The point was they COULD concievably get hold of the nuclear weapons were the Pakistani central government to lose some of its (fragile) authority.

ReputationRep:
    The Taliban are a deadly effective guerilla outfit with 30 years of experience at what they do.

Compare that to the Pakistani military which is experience in (losing) conventional wars and that is also where most of their spending goes to - tanks, fighters, missiles, not anti terrorism equipment (eg, drones, troops equipment, body armour).

And no, that wasn't the point. The point was they COULD concievably get hold of the nuclear weapons were the Pakistani central government to lose some of its (fragile) authority.
    Actually, I believe the Taliban came into existence mid-90s, but don't quote me on that. Those who have 30 years experience at "what they do" were the Mujahideen, and their success was largely based on support from the US and Pakistan.

Regardless, please explain how the Taliban could "conceivably" take control of Pakistan's nuclear arsenal. Because I'm assuming they would have to subdue the Pakistani army - which does seem very "conceivable" at all.

ReputationRep:
    When we started this war, we knew that we'd have to pay a heavy blood price - the terrain, and our lack of expertise on it, made sure of that. We can't stop fighting because that inevitability has been coming into the public eye more blatantly as of late.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxfire)
    hey, **** you.
    i get to see harry potter in 3 days

Are you old enough to be playing on the interweb.

(Original post by Haksa)
    Actually, I believe the Taliban came into existence mid-90s, but don't quote me on that. Those who have 30 years experience at "what they do" were the Mujahideen, and their success was largely based on support from the US and Pakistan.

Regardless, please explain how the Taliban could "conceivably" take control of Pakistan's nuclear arsenal. Because I'm assuming they would have to subdue the Pakistani army - which does seem very "conceivable" at all.
    1) The Mujahideen are the Taliban mate. Funded by the Saudis, Americans, trained by the Pakistanis to topple the pro Soviet Afghan regime (interestingly a secularist and somewhat liberal institution). Just because they turned against their masters doesn't change who they are. Mujahideen as far as i'm aware just means holy warrior.
    2) They don't need to take control of pakistan's nuclear arsenal. One missile silo is enough to kill hundreds of thousands.
    3) The Pakistani is concentrated around the Indian border and around Islamabad. Unless they change this (as they seem to have been doing recently) they'll continue to have problems.

(Original post by aeolus)
    Austrian school reading
    They're a bit too laissez faire for me. It's interesting to see you swinging from one extreme to another :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.