Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    1) The Mujahideen are the Taliban mate. Funded by the Saudis, Americans, trained by the Pakistanis to topple the pro Soviet Afghan regime (interestingly a secularist and somewhat liberal institution). Just because they turned against their masters doesn't change who they are. Mujahideen as far as i'm aware just means holy warrior.
    2) They don't need to take control of pakistan's nuclear arsenal. One missile silo is enough to kill hundreds of thousands.
    3) The Pakistani is concentrated around the Indian border and around Islamabad. Unless they change this (as they seem to have been doing recently) they'll continue to have problems.
    1. I don't think it is quite as simple as that. For one, there was numerous infighting amongst various factions of the mujahideen. The Taliban, I believe, gained popularity on the promise of ending the vicious in-fighting. They are not necessarily the same people as the mujahideen who fought against the soviets.

2. Taking control of one missile silo would still require a defeat of a section of the Pakistani army guarding said silo. Regardless, claiming that the Taliban can gain access to nuclear weaponry is pretty absurd. Just because Fox news tells you it's possible doesn't mean it is! The people who spread lies like this are just hell bent on starting another war by means of scaremongering the western public. You seem very much part and parcel of this.

3. Please reword 3, I'm not sure what you mean by it..?

(Original post by Haksa)
    1. I don't think it is quite as simple as that. For one, there was numerous infighting amongst various factions of the mujahideen. The Taliban, I believe, gained popularity on the promise of ending the vicious in-fighting. They are not necessarily the same people as the mujahideen who fought against the soviets.

2. Taking control of one missile silo would still require a defeat of a section of the Pakistani army guarding said silo. Regardless, claiming that the Taliban can gain access to nuclear weaponry is pretty absurd. Just because Fox news tells you it's possible doesn't mean it is! The people who spread lies like this are just hell bent on starting another war by means of scaremongering the western public. You seem very much part and parcel of this.

3. Please reword 3, I'm not sure what you mean by it..?
    1) Haha. I remember reading the story of a man who fought the various factions until his house was destroyed by a missed american missile. They might not be the same (mostly due to the age gap), but the leaders and the experienced old guys are very much veterans, some around from that era.
    2) Fox news! :rofl: No, please, don't insult me . I don't see how demanding greater action against terrorists (instead of arresting and releasing them) is the same as being "hell bent on starting another war by means of scaremongering the western public". The western public has been misled for decades about how the Pakistani government has been at the core of world terrorism.
    3) Pakistan keeps most of its forces on the Indian border. I don't see how this can be reworded? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    if we let the Taliban win in Afghanistan then they'll be in a stronger position to keep up there assault on Pakistan and if Pakistan wavers then we'll have a radical organisation with nuclear capabilities

and im sure even the most Quakerous amongst us would recognise that that is not a good situation to be in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    Are you old enough to be playing on the interweb.
    I'm 5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    We should fund our ******* military properly and wipe the Taliban out once and for all.
    too ******* right.

This goverment needs to pull its ******* fingers out, and stop wasting the military budget..

David Miliband said that the goverment had spent £100 million the other day on the radio.

On what? New carpets for Whitehall?

I know this is the mail, but this highlights the problems that the army faces..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ghanistan.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6689951.ece

Its a joke that they expect the army to fight an ever increasing war, with reductions in funding and top line equipment..

we need massive charges in whitehall and defense policy.

we need to stop wasting money on things that aren't needed, and buy good qaulity equipment, designed for the purpose, and provide for our troops, not force them to make do with shoody, "mend and make do" attitude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by style)
    i think she was making a joke, hense borat.
    I see.

ReputationRep:
    We should fund our ******* military properly and wipe the Taliban out once and for all.
    We will never wipe the Taliban out.

The Russians couldn't do it, and we can't do it.

We can't win a Guerilla war.

ReputationRep:
    Well we beat the bloody IRA.

We beat a guerilla war in Kenya.

We beat a guerilla war in Malaya.

Why not Afghan if we WANT to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stevie0444)
    We will never wipe the Taliban out.

The Russians couldn't do it, and we can't do it.

We can't win a Guerilla war.
    Its not that much of a guerrilla war anymore, you would do good to read the whole thread before posting. Technology has changed since the Russians and the Taliban no longer have the world’s largest military power supporting them, you know the Russians hammered the Taliban until the yanks handed over the surface to air missiles. Saying that we are killing thousands of them, which I would say is a step in the right direction but our doom-&-gloom press won’t report it.

The highest percentage of income tax gets spent on benefits, yet the government wont even provide for our armed services properly. And it is not the case of scrapping the high-tech to give better equipment to our ground forces; we need it all, who knows what type of war we may be fighting in 10 or 20 years.

ReputationRep:
    You think funds are the problem?

The US and UK have to accept that casualties are necessary for a victory. Yes, we are suffering in terms of casualties, but pointless ones i.e. roadside bombs. Man up and fight properly in combat, or you can bleed slowly and pointlessly. It's comparable to poker - letting the blinds bleed you dry and never calling.

Has the US/UK learned anything from Vietnam?

ReputationRep:
    And as a sign of victorious magnanimity we offered to let them run the province?

ReputationRep:
    i think every citizen should be taxed an extra pound every month, and have the extra money go to the army.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londonboym)
    i think every citizen should be taxed an extra pound every month, and have the extra money go to the army.
    Here here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cookie Fruit Freak)
    Do you think it's simply about time to pull out our troops from Afghanistan? Does this supposed 'war on terror' even really exist? Even though the American's have so many more troops, MORE deaths have actually occured for us Brits. Does that sicken you?

How do you think we should resolve this 'war on terror'?

Do you feel safer/more fearful of terrorist attacks now at home, seeing as our troops have been out there for the last eight years?

How do you think we should deal with this war? Fight a seemingly futile war, or tackle the inherent problem?

Discuss.
    Wow, its only taken 8 years and about 180 deaths for the general public to realise what people were trying to tell them in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renner)
    Its not that much of a guerrilla war anymore, you would do good to read the whole thread before posting. Technology has changed since the Russians and the Taliban no longer have the world’s largest military power supporting them, you know the Russians hammered the Taliban until the yanks handed over the surface to air missiles. Saying that we are killing thousands of them, which I would say is a step in the right direction but our doom-&-gloom press won’t report it. The highest percentage of income tax gets spent on benefits, yet the government wont even provide for our armed services properly. And it is not the case of scrapping the high-tech to give better equipment to our ground forces; we need it all, who knows what type of war we may be fighting in 10 or 20 years.

Of course it's a guerilla war. There not fighting us on the battlefield, because they are not powerful enough. So there using guerilla warfare/tactics and it's working.

And do You know that for a fact? If they haven't reported it how do you possibly know.

The fact is we shouldn't be there, and i agree with the last part, but let the USA fight why should we? We are basically puppets for the USA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cookie Fruit Freak)
    Do you think it's simply about time to pull out our troops from Afghanistan? Does this supposed 'war on terror' even really exist? Even though the American's have so many more troops, MORE deaths have actually occured for us Brits. Does that sicken you?

How do you think we should resolve this 'war on terror'?

Do you feel safer/more fearful of terrorist attacks now at home, seeing as our troops have been out there for the last eight years?

How do you think we should deal with this war? Fight a seemingly futile war, or tackle the inherent problem?

Discuss.
    Huh? Am I missing something? Way more americans have died than brits.

http://icasualties.org/OEF/ByNationality.aspx

ReputationRep:

We beat a guerilla war in Kenya.

We beat a guerilla war in Malaya.

Why not Afghan if we WANT to?

:rolleyes: We never beat the IRA, i think you should do some research before you come to that biased conclusion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londonboym)
    No way! We shouldn't be taxed extra just because the Government wont fund the Armed Forces properly.

The money is there, Labour just aren't handing it out where it is needed. Instead we are spending billions bailing out and nationalising banks!

There are British soldiers dying in an unjust, undeclared war, and our sorry excuse of a Government won't even raise spending on the Armed Forces. It is beyond a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stevie0444)
    :rolleyes: We never beat the IRA, i think you should do some research before you come to that biased conclusion.
    Neutered is a better description.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Neutered is a better description.
    Maybe you should watch this if we want to get biased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbKkbEb0CQU

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.