Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    If only it was that easy to wipe out the Taliban...

whip out the nukes

ohh how fun that would be :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    Your probably one of these people that think 9/11 was a conspiracy. W

No, not at all.

I like to look at things logically. I am not repeating myself. Re-read my post, and t-h-i-n-k about it before screaming 'idiot' because your brain hurts.

Maybe come up with a few counter-arguments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DC Doberman)
    What's the LBC? Lebanese Broadcasting Corporation (just googled)?

Anyway, the source I posted has all the killed troops' names, so I'm pretty positive your source was mistaken.
    London's Biggest Conversation.

Quite a prestigious radio station with alot of debate. :yep:

Oh, and I'm certain I read it off TimesOnline too. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cookie Fruit Freak)
    London's Biggest Conversation.

Quite a prestigious radio station with alot of debate. :yep:

Oh, and I'm certain I read it off TimesOnline too. :yes:
    Well, prestigious or not, you can't argue against real names of real dead soldiers. America has had over 700 deaths, the UK hasn't broken 200 yet. Not to discount the sacrifice of the UK, 184 deaths is not insignificant, but certainly not more than the US.

ReputationRep:
    To quote Winston Churchill whilst he was addressing an American University,

"You will feel that we are your worthy brothers in arms and you will know that we shall never tire nor weaken but march with you into any quarter of the world that may be necessary to establish the reign of justice and of law among men."
    I fully support this ethos and to answer your question, the war saddens me but does not sicken me. I didn't really feel unsafe before but that aside, if possible, I do feel safer now.

Nobody wants to fight a war, our troops don't want to be there but wars must and troops strive ahead. I'm sure words of support and encouragement would be more fitting than yet another "let's bring the troops home" argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DC Doberman)
    Well, prestigious or not, you can't argue against real names of real dead soldiers. America has had over 700 deaths, the UK hasn't broken 200 yet. Not to discount the sacrifice of the UK, 184 deaths is not insignificant, but certainly not more than the US.
    I can't argue against a list of names? For all I know, that site could just link to a poor souls GCSE Stats CW. :ninja:

Anyways, 700 specifically from Afghanistan? :eyebrow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cookie Fruit Freak)
    I can't argue against a list of names? For all I know, that site could just link to a poor souls GCSE Stats CW. :ninja:

Anyways, 700 specifically from Afghanistan? :eyebrow:
    No, you can't, unless you are suggesting those names were invented. Are you? What possible motivation could there have been for that? Their source for the American numbers is the Department of Defense. Do you think they're lying, too? Because nothing is better for the Defense Department's public relations than exaggerate how many of its people are dying, right?

Yes, they are specifically from Afghanistan. Here's Iraq (adds another 4,322 deaths to the total US sacrifice):

http://icasualties.org/Iraq/DeathsByCountry.aspx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redefined)
    To quote Winston Churchill whilst he was addressing an American University,

I fully support this ethos and to answer your question, the war saddens me but does not sicken me. I didn't really feel unsafe before but that aside, if possible, I do feel safer now.

Nobody wants to fight a war, our troops don't want to be there but wars must and troops strive ahead. I'm sure words of support and encouragement would be more fitting than yet another "let's bring the troops home" argument.

I am just wondering, how can you feel safer? By invading and occupying both Iraq and Afghanistan we have stirred up a hornets nest among once moderate Muslims.

I personally am of the view that the American Governement bought 9/11 upon itself, via arrogant posturing in the middle east for the last couple of decades among other more sinister things, such as the continous bombing of Iraq throughout the 90's.
    So surely these disastrous invasions are just going to make it alot worse? Every Afghan son who loses his father to American missiles is being led by our leaders into the arms of the Taliban and Al Quada who will welcome his new found hatred for the west.
    Osama Bin Laden must be rubbing his hands in glee. We have raised more support for his cause than he could have dreamed of in 1999.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    I am just wondering, how can you feel safer? By invading and occupying both Iraq and Afghanistan we have stirred up a hornets nest among once moderate Muslims.

It's two-fold really. A- with so much war going on in Iraq and Afghanistan, the terrorist's training will be limited as well as their planning to take their war around the world. B- the homeland security/intelligence has been beefed up since this started.

I personally am of the view that the American Governement bought 9/11 upon itself, via arrogant posturing in the middle east for the last couple of decades among other more sinister things, such as the continous bombing of Iraq throughout the 90's.

That is just foolish, a typical response to the scaremongering in the media. Nobody will know for sure why 9/11 happened, but at a guess I'd say that it was part of a whole host of plans to attack numerous targets in the west.

Every Afghan son who loses his father to American missiles is being led by our leaders into the arms of the Taliban and Al Quada who will welcome his new found hatred for the west.

Well the media have got you good huh? No doubt there will be new recruits but every child of every man? Come on mate, how Naive are you? Part of the war is focusing on rebuilding their nations and most people want the terrorists out of their country, so in the long term it should balance out.

Osama Bin Laden must be rubbing his hands in glee. We have raised more support for his cause than he could have dreamed of in 1999.

Your foolishness amuses me, truly. Now go sit in the corner and cower in fear.
    That is my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    What is your view on Kuwait? Or Iran? Or Oman?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redefined)
    That is my opinion.

Ha! You are accusing me of being cowed by the media. I am using logic and common sense to discover a reason behind the attacks. The reason given by the media for 9/11 is the exact opposite of the reasons i have just given.

SO do you believe that Osama and his gang of thugs are attacking because we are "free" and can eat at mcdonalds??? You think these people blow themselves up, end their own lives just because we have freedom of speech. lol if you do. Everything the west does has consequences. The consequence of American and British military action and sanctions against Iraq throughtout the 90's, let alone their support and arming of Isreal and establishment of bases throughout the region caused alot of hate.

I suggest you crawl out from under your copy of the daily mail and do some reading into the history of American intervention in middle eastern politics.

ReputationRep:
    Go in and destroy a country then simply pull out......wtf is this...modern day colonialism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teshla^^)
    Go in and destroy a country then simply pull out......wtf is this...modern day colonialism.
    Think about that for a second...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Think about that for a second...
    No......

I feel less safe by being at war with Iraq and Afghanistan, than if we weren't. Because of our government, the people of Britain are seen as a deserving target. I don't think the July bombings would have happened if we hadn't been involved in these wars, which the people never wanted to begin with. So it was undemocratic AND it cost the lives of thousands of our people.

Not only are those lives thrown away at home, but we're obviously losing good men abroard for no reason also. To prevent terrorism here? But we're doing the opposite by killing the people of Afghanistan - we're giving them a pretty good reason to want to retaliate!

I know those people volunteered for the army, but it's still wrong to send them on pointless wars. But what ISN'T voluntary is taxation, and we're all funding that - against our will, we have to pay for murder that we protested against the begin with. This concept sums up the tyranny of government really!

But the tyranny doesn't even stop there. In the name of the war on terror, civil liberties are being eroded left, right and centre. We can now detain people for 42 days without a trial, far longer than is possibly necessary. All kinds of invasions of privacy are becoming popular ideas with modern government: ID cards, phone tappings, more CCTV - its all related to this phoney war on terror which is only making everything worse rather than better (yet we're paying for with taxpayers money, and sometimes our lives.)

Remember that not only the government is responsible for this policy - if you vote for a government that supports unjust wars, you're aiding that war indirectly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teshla^^)
    No......
    :facepalm:

Why would you try to appear stupid? I know it's the internet but surely making yourself look like an ignorant ******* cretin can't be your idea of fun?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    Because of our government, the people of Britain are seen as a deserving target.
    Is that really the word you want to use? Do you believe that a No.30 Dennis Trident deserved to be blown up?

So it was undemocratic AND it cost the lives of thousands of our people.
    Wot now?

But we're doing the opposite by killing the people of Afghanistan - we're giving them a pretty good reason to want to retaliate!
    Evidence for this? There has been one serious terrorist incident during the eight years that we've been in the 'Stan, admittedly it was caused by muslim extremists, but they weren't from Afghanistan...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    :facepalm:

Why would you try to appear stupid? I know it's the internet but surely making yourself look like an ignorant ******* cretin can't be your idea of fun?
    Rofl....calm down...the f....is wrong with you.

Firstly,there are different types of colonialism.Secondly my view is that neocolonialism is evident in both countries.

ReputationRep:
    The fathers and grandfathers of the Taliban showed us where we could stick our ways back in the last 19th century.

I think the war in Afghanistan is like dye running in a river. Once the dye has been released you cannot collect or control it. The dye being the Taliban and Coalition forces being the net trying to retrieve it. Once you catch a bit, it just slips through and finds another way to rear its ugly head.

I also think it can't just be the war on terror, there has to be some other driven desire for the war because terror stems from Pakistan and other places, but we don't invade them do we?

It just seems really ****** up.

(Original post by Renal)
    Is that really the word you want to use? Do you believe that a No.30 Dennis Trident deserved to be blown up?
    Obviously I don't think our people deserve to be blown up, but yes I want to use the words I used, that's why I used them.

To certain islamic extremists, British people deserve to be attacked now, because we're at war with islamic nations.

Evidence for this? There has been one serious terrorist incident during the eight years that we've been in the 'Stan, admittedly it was caused by muslim extremists, but they weren't from Afghanistan...
    Common sense is my evidence: if we're over there killing islamic people, then islamic extremists are going to get pissed off about it. Spain was attacked when it supported the war on terror, and us. You don't see countries who opposed the war on terror being attacked!

How about you address the qualms I have with compulsory taxation to fund state murder, and the erosion of civil liberties - rather than making trivial and pedantic points only.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.