Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Firstly,there are different types of colonialism.Secondly my view is that neocolonialism is evident in both countries.
    And you believe that withdrawing would be evidence of this? :rolleyes:

Are you still refusing to think?

But you may need to master reading and writing first;
    (Original post by teshla^^)
    Rofl....calm down...the f....is wrong with you,just because your ass got handed to you earlier in this thread doesn't mean you have to go emo and start crying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    What is your view on Kuwait? Or Iran? Or Oman?

Kuwait: Kuwait was a border dispute. We had no right to get involved. The only reason we did was because we were panicking over our oil. If the west had stayed out, Isreal would have done something, and so would Saudi Arabia. These two nations might have even worked together to bring down Saddam Hussein in 1990 and the middle east might have been a much safer place today.

Iran We have had a problem with Iran ever since the 50's. It started when the Iranian Prime Minister nationalised their oil reserves, removing the monopoly that BP had held for years. This in turn led to America arresting the Prime Minister and installing their own pro-west Government, who turned out to be a gang of autocratic tyrants. Alot of the Iranian people hated this Government and {i]alot[/i] of people hated America for forcing this Government upon them. Most outspoken of these freedom fighters was the young Ayatollah Komeini.
    Next came the Islamic revolution in 1978, followed by an Islamic Republic. Having defied America relation deteriorated rapidly leading to the embassy seige, and the American support for Iraq during the iran/iraq war.
    This propoganda being peddled by the USA that Iran hates the west just because they are evil is ********. The USA has earned the hate of the Iranian people through arrogant intervensionism over the last half century.
    The idea at the moment that Iran poses a threat to the west is preposterous! They can't even attck their neighbours. If they did develop nuclear weapons then how would they be any different from Pakistan which is a country far more corrupt than Iran. Yes they say that they wan't to wipe out Isreal, but Pakistan have said that they want to wipe out India!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    I feel less safe by being at war with Iraq and Afghanistan, than if we weren't. Because of our government, the people of Britain are seen as a deserving target. I don't think the July bombings would have happened if we hadn't been involved in these wars, which the people never wanted to begin with. So it was undemocratic AND it cost the lives of thousands of our people.

Not only are those lives thrown away at home, but we're obviously losing good men abroard for no reason also. To prevent terrorism here? But we're doing the opposite by killing the people of Afghanistan - we're giving them a pretty good reason to want to retaliate!

I know those people volunteered for the army, but it's still wrong to send them on pointless wars. But what ISN'T voluntary is taxation, and we're all funding that - against our will, we have to pay for murder that we protested against the begin with. This concept sums up the tyranny of government really!

But the tyranny doesn't even stop there. In the name of the war on terror, civil liberties are being eroded left, right and centre. We can now detain people for 42 days without a trial, far longer than is possibly necessary. All kinds of invasions of privacy are becoming popular ideas with modern government: ID cards, phone tappings, more CCTV - its all related to this phoney war on terror which is only making everything worse rather than better (yet we're paying for with taxpayers money, and sometimes our lives.)

Remember that not only the government is responsible for this policy - if you vote for a government that supports unjust wars, you're aiding that war indirectly.
    Hear, hear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    And you believe that withdrawing would be evidence of this? :rolleyes:

Are you still refusing to think?

But you may need to master reading and writing first;
    You interpreted it the wrong way....I ended the first statement with my opinion that neocolonialsim was prevelant in both instances. I never stated that withdrawing was an indication of this....the fact you inferred that is your problem not mine.

Oh noes my internet feelings are hurt....I don't wish to master either, now what? Exactly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    Common sense is my evidence: if we're over there killing islamic people, then islamic extremists are going to get pissed off about it. Spain was attacked when it supported the war on terror, and us. You don't see countries who opposed the war on terror being attacked!
    Indonesia? Yemen? Eritrea and Somalia? Eqypt? They're not exactly big players in T*W*A*T are they?

What about the countries that are; the US (not attacked since Afghanistan invaded), the UK (attacked once), Germany (not attacked), Italy (not attacked), France (not attacked), Canada (not attacked), Australia (not attacked), Netherlands (not attacked), Poland (not attacked)...

Does your common sense explain why these pissed off Islamic extremists are so angry that they're not attacking these countries?

How about you address the qualms I have with compulsory taxation to fund state murder, and the erosion of civil liberties - rather than making trivial and pedantic points only.
    I quite agree with you on both those points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    Kuwait: Kuwait was a border dispute. We had no right to get involved. The only reason we did was because we were panicking over our oil. If the west had stayed out, Isreal would have done something, and so would Saudi Arabia. These two nations might have even worked together to bring down Saddam Hussein in 1990 and the middle east might have been a much safer place today.
    In that case, why did they ask for our help?

ReputationRep:
    Good prognosis. :yy:

Would you please explain how i am wrong.

Are you really so naive as to believe America invaded Afghanistan for the people?! To remove a corrupt regime lol!

Then when do the invasions of Zimbabwe/Somalia/Saudi Arabia/North Korea/Pakistan/Venezuela/Iran commence?
    Even if there was some monetary gain for the Americans, the bloodshed and absolute destruction caused by wars with these countries would far outwiegh it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    In that case, why did they ask for our help?

Because then they wouldn't have had to waste billions on war, or lose their soldiers in the fighting.

Just because they asked doesn't mean we had to help.

ReputationRep:
    Because then they wouldn't have had to waste billions on war,
    They did spend billions on the war, and the reconstruction...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Question)
    Even if there was some monetary gain for the Americans, the bloodshed and absolute destruction caused by wars with these countries would far outwiegh it.
    But we've already established that the Americans are so stoopid (LOL!!!) that they will spend millions of dollars a month to invade and secure Iraq in order to get oil and then buy it back from the Iraqis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Question)

But then that makes them hypocrites?

They invade one country under the pretext of liberation and freedom. But won't invade another. It begs the question Why Afghanistan? All it takes is a little reading into the history of that country to figure out why invasion was such an attractive prospect in 2001.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    They did spend billions on the war, and the reconstruction...

Yes but would it have been a fraction of what they would have lost sorting it out on their own?

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm concerned, pulling out of Afghanistan would be frankly catastrophic. We would be moving out to make way for the Taliban to have full, unchallenged control, and at that point terrorism is given a stronghold and a green light to continue. Even if we're not going to ultimately win without a long struggle, in the meantime we're still making life very difficult for them. People die in war, that's how it works. Carry on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    But we've already established that the Americans are so stoopid (LOL!!!) that they will spend millions of dollars a month to invade and secure Iraq in order to get oil and then buy it back from the Iraqis.

I think you underestimate the complexity of what happened in Iraq. There is a bit more to it than the Americans being 'stoopid'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chiko 1001)
    As far as I'm concerned, pulling out of Afghanistan would be frankly catastrophic. We would be moving out to make way for the Taliban to have full, unchallenged control, and at that point terrorism is given a stronghold and a green light to continue. Even if we're not going to ultimately win without a long struggle, in the meantime we're still making life very difficult for them. People die in war, that's how it works. Carry on.
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    I think you underestimate the complexity of what happened in Iraq. There is a bit more to it than the Americans being 'stoopid'.
    The reason that they buy oil from the Iraqi government? I should hope so too, after all, if we only went to war for the oil, where's our share?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chiko 1001)

That is not what will happen. Afghanistan is tribal. The Taliban had no-where near full, unchallenged control even at the height of their power. If we pull out now or in 20 years the same thing will happen as what did after the soviet occuation, there will be a civil war, i doubt the Afgan people would let the Taliban (who are mostly foreigners now) take command again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    The reason that they buy oil from the Iraqi government? I should hope so too, after all, if we only went to war for the oil, where's our share?

Seriously???

Our share is the fact that we have a safe source of oil coming from the middle east.

Our share is that the Iraqi oil platforms are now under our protection (/control).

C'mon think about it.

ReputationRep:
    i doubt the Afgan people would let the Taliban (who are mostly foreigners now) take command again.
    And how are they going to stop them? Reform the Muj?

ReputationRep:
    Seriously???
    No of course not.

Our share is the fact that we have a safe source of oil coming from the middle east.
    Brent Spar is a little bit closer. And, IIRC, the oil is better quality.

Our share is that the Iraqi oil platforms are now under our protection (/control).
    But how does this benefit us? We've paid billions of pounds and lost over a hundred men so that the Americans can buy oil off the Iraqi government? Do you honestly suppose they didn't consider just buying it off Hussein?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.