Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Vaccine?
    Yes
    63.39%
    No
    36.61%

(Original post by Renal)
    You're still wrong.

Want to have a guess at what I do for a living, why I might have access to serious sources and why I might know a bit more about this than you?
    :zomg: R U A MED STUDANT?!!!!!!one!!!222!!111

Spoiler:
    Show
    For some reason i knew you were anyway

ReputationRep:
    Can I have two vaccines, three masks and a taser gun for those who are infected.

I am ready to order. I am now going to enter my Debt card detail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    You're still wrong.

Want to have a guess at what I do for a living, why I might have access to serious sources and why I might know a bit more about this than you?
    I'm not wrong though, it isn't a coincidence that most people who have died have had serious underlying health problems, therefore their immune system would have been weaker. I think only 2 people who were 'healthy' have died so it is massively affecting people with poorer defences more.

It's obvious you're a medical student but still you can only learn so much by reading. If the disease mutates then what? You won't have a clue unless you ask people to describes their symptons then you can gain an insight. This is what I have done with people who have gotten 'swine flu'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    :zomg: R U A MED STUDANT?!!!!!!one!!!222!!111
    No.

(Original post by Renal)
    No.
    Junior doctor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomasmc135)
    I'm not wrong though, it isn't a coincidence that most people who have died have had serious underlying health problems, therefore their immune system would have been weaker. I think only 2 people who were 'healthy' have died so it is massively affecting people with poorer defences more.
    Read this and get back to us.

If the disease mutates then what? You won't have a clue unless you ask people to describes their symptons then you can gain an insight. This is what I have done with people who have gotten 'swine flu'
    Oh for ***** sake, stop projecting your own ignorance onto others. We know more about the virus because we've cultured it, PCR'd it, examined it and tested it, we've seen thousands of cases worldwide, we've compared this with historical virii, we've projected spread, mortality and morbidity based on all the information available to us but for some reason you want us to bin all that and talk to your mates.

ReputationRep:
    Junior doctor?
    Yer.

(Original post by Renal)
    Yer.
    My mum just got a consultants job :woo:

You at a teaching hosp or are you past that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Read this and get back to us.

Oh for ***** sake, stop projecting your own ignorance onto others. We know more about the virus because we've cultured it, PCR'd it, examined it and tested it, we've seen thousands of cases worldwide, we've compared this with historical virii, we've projected spread, mortality and morbidity based on all the information available to us but for some reason you want us to bin all that and talk to your mates.
    Who is this 'we'? I doubt you did any of it and I know that I didn't do it so there is no 'we'. Scientists, yh okay I know that they've done that, it isn't too hard to work it out. That's how they know what diseases are more leathal where e.g. Cholera is more common in India now whereas before it was common in the UK back in the day.

This doesn't mean that they are right though. They are right based on the conditions at that moment but I hate to tell you this, things change. No doubt it has mutated from the 1976 swine flu scare or will mutate. It will gain resistance from the Tamiflu eventually and the vaccine coulf fail. I played this game http://www.addictinggames.com/pandemic2.html

Play it and although it obviously isn't 100% accurate because it's just a game it does give a basic understanding of what could happen. If it mutates and gains resistance to Tamiflu and the vaccine then what?

Do we read books that know nothing about the new mutated version or do we observe the signs and symptons so that we can give better precautions to the public. I think even you know what we do then.

The chances of mutation are high and then we would require a new vaccine which would take a long time to develop. Just like MRSA became resistant to the drugs that stopped it before.

ReputationRep:
    My mum just got a consultants job :woo:

You at a teaching hosp or are you past that?
    Congratulations to her. I'm working in a large DGH, hopefully get better teaching there.

(Original post by Renal)
    Congratulations to her. I'm working in a large DGH, hopefully get better teaching there.
    I just asked her what a DGH is and it seems you've managed to find a job after university hospital learning and shiz, so grats to you :awesome: :top:

ReputationRep:
    Who is this 'we'?
    The medical and scientific profession, you know, people with the education, skills and ability to understand the concepts involved. Clearly, it doesn't involve you.

This doesn't mean that they are right though. They are right based on the conditions at that moment but I hate to tell you this, things change.
    This from the man who told us that he knew all he needed to know because he spoke to his mates who had it last week?

Play it and although it obviously isn't 100% accurate because it's just a game it does give a basic understanding of what could happen. If it mutates and gains resistance to Tamiflu and the vaccine then what?
    There are strains that have mutated and there are strains that are resistant to Tamiflu. :rolleyes:

The chances of mutation are high and then we would require a new vaccine which would take a long time to develop. Just like MRSA became resistant to the drugs that stopped it before.
    :no:
    Not only did MRSA not become resistant to anything, the fact that you can't even tell the difference between viruses and bacteria speaks ******* volumes.

Do we read books that know nothing about the new mutated version or do we observe the signs and symptons so that we can give better precautions to the public. I think even you know what we do then.
    Your understanding of public health, virology, immunology and even basic medical research is nil. I am not going to listen to your witless nonsense on something you clearly do not have the first ******* clue about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    The medical and scientific profession, you know, people with the education, skills and ability to understand the concepts involved. Clearly, it doesn't involve you.

This from the man who told us that he knew all he needed to know because he spoke to his mates who had it last week?

There are strains that have mutated and there are strains that are resistant to Tamiflu. :rolleyes:

:no:
    Not only did MRSA not become resistant to anything, the fact that you can't even tell the difference between viruses and bacteria speaks ******* volumes.

Your understanding of public health, virology, immunology and even basic medical research is nil. I am not going to listen to your witless nonsense on something you clearly do not have the first ******* clue about.
    You seem to be getting a a bit touchy with your constant insults and swearing. Could it be because I am speaking sense and going against everything you believe in. The reason I 'don't know anything' is because I have no interest in the medical field. I am more into English, Geography and History.

I'd like to see you talk to me about Geography and then you'd be in the same position as I am when talking about medicine.

I don't get happy when reading books based on things that can and will change. Books will not protect you from anything, just because you know what it looks like doesn't mean that you won't get it or die from it. So stop being so insulting and go back to your books because you obviously can't handle a conversation.

ReputationRep:
    You're an idiot. We're done here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    You're an idiot. We're done here.
    No, you're the idiot for not being able to hold a conversation without resorting to making yourself seem more intelligent by putting someone else's intelligence down just because they don't share the same love of medicine. As I said go back to your books, maybe there's one on 'how to have conversations'. As you believe that you learn more from reading than actually doing. Hey, you never know there might be one on 'how to attract females' as well.

ReputationRep:
    We are done.

It's pointless discussing this with you because you have no arguments, because you have no coherent thoughts, because you lack the basic knowledge required to participate in this discussion, because you refuse to get this knowledge even when it's presented to you, because you because you won't read what I post and because, fundamentally, you're a waste of time, bandwidth and oxygen.

Th only unfortunate thing is that you can still post your poisonous **** on here, what's worse is that there are people who are thick enough to actually believe you.

(Original post by Renal)
    We are done.

It's pointless discussing this with you because you have no arguments, because you have no coherent thoughts, because you lack the basic knowledge required to participate in this discussion, because you refuse to get this knowledge even when it's presented to you, because you because you won't read what I post and because, fundamentally, you're a waste of time, bandwidth and oxygen.

Th only unfortunate thing is that you can still post your poisonous **** on here, what's worse is that there are people who are thick enough to actually believe you.
    You're such a Dr. Cox

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

(Original post by grape:))
    Yes.
    Did you manage to survive the Exeter outbreak?

Thats where my friend caught it, then brought it back to Torquay...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    Did you manage to survive the Exeter outbreak?

Thats where my friend caught it, then brought it back to Torquay...
    yeh thanks, although someone at my workplace came in with it today

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.