Will you want the swine flu vaccine? Watch

• View Poll Results: Vaccine?
    Yes
    63.39%
    No
    36.61%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Untitled258)
    I never have vaccines, or i never take pills or aspirin or anything.

I like to thick not doing this has forced my body into fighting off illness, as a kid, and now in adulthood, I'm much less likely to get ill, and i very very rarely do get ill.
    I agree, and I do the same thing, and I am never ill.

Swine flu is just the latest ploy by the government to make money, keep us scared and take our mind off other things.

It is a mild illness, and those at risk are solely those with underlying health problems/immunodeficient, so maybe those may benefit from a vaccine, but not the rest of the population.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus wept.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I actually want it. I'm sort of praying that it actually works though.

ReputationRep:
    Having had 4 family members and 3 close associates diagnosed with it all of whom seem to be perfectly fine enjoying their time off work by catching up on some light reading and gardening I doubt I'll bother with it. Other people such as asthmatics and people on immuno suppressant drugs need it more than me.

ReputationRep:
    Want to have a guess at what I do for a living, why I might have access to serious sources and why I might know a bit more about this than you?
    Yeah, listen to the man here. Serious sources; such as HP, salad cream, and that good old favourite tomato ketchup. Personally I like to favour mayonnaise, but then some people call me crazy!

On a serious note, it's interesting that you're a junior doctor. I think that what is really vital in understanding here is that you're junior. Generally speaking, this denotes the fact that you are not fully trained and, do not know everything(!). This is a student room forum where everyone is allowed input. Either allow it and take note of their opinions and what they're saying (as some of it is more valid than what you're saying - the majority of it, in fact) or stop replying here. Just because you're a doctor, doesn't mean you know it all. This is a common mistake that a lot of them make and it's really laughable - because a lot of them don't know all that much. You are the case in point.

I've said my piece.

ReputationRep:
    Sure why not? If you are given the oppurtunity to have it why would you not?

ReputationRep:
    I don't want it, but I've thought about it and I think I'd get it. Much rather get a vaccine than swine flu. Even though I've got asthma and never got the normal flu vaccine before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lorenzo666)
    Yeah, listen to the man here. Serious sources; such as HP, salad cream, and that good old favourite tomato ketchup. Personally I like to favour mayonnaise, but then some people call me crazy!

On a serious note, it's interesting that you're a junior doctor. I think that what is really vital in understanding here is that you're junior. Generally speaking, this denotes the fact that you are not fully trained and, do not know everything(!). This is a student room forum where everyone is allowed input. Either allow it and take note of their opinions and what they're saying (as some of it is more valid than what you're saying - the majority of it, in fact) or stop replying here. Just because you're a doctor, doesn't mean you know it all. This is a common mistake that a lot of them make and it's really laughable - because a lot of them don't know all that much. You are the case in point.

I've said my piece.
    1. Even a junior doctor is going to know more about it than a lay person. Heck, even a medical student is likely to know more about it.

2. Thomas actually admitted that he has no knowledge or interest in science or medicine, so this is why Renal and I have both been particularly annoyed with his persistant arguing in spite of his ignorance. Renal wasn't being arrogant when he said he knew more about it, he was stating a fact, as confirmed by Thomas.

(Original post by lostdoll)
    Even though I've got asthma and never got the normal flu vaccine before.
    You're eligible for it, and you should certainly get it. You don't have to wait for a 'flu clinic to be held, just ask at your GP practice and you can get it free of charge.

ReputationRep:
    You're eligible for it, and you should certainly get it. You don't have to wait for a 'flu clinic to be held, just ask at your GP practice and you can get it free of charge.
    That's not true at all. They're not vaccinating swine flu, if that is the flu you are referring to. They are discussing whether healthcare professionals should be vaccinated (for obvious reasons) but that is as far as it goes.

Also, those that know what they are talking about wouldn't get a vaccine for swine flu as there can be serious side effects. Is it really worth it? Not really, is the answer, but you can make up your own mind.

-- Another point worth noting is that just because you're a junior doctor/medical student, it DOES NOT mean that you know more about swine flu than, as you so put it, 'lay people'. If you're specifically studying that type of medicine then, yes, I suppose you will do. But don't automatically assume that you know more about every type of medicine than everyone else. If you're lucky, you soon will, and I'm sure a lot of those that are junior doctors now, like those on these boards, will soon eclipse us mere mortals in their knowledge. But not entirely yet.

As a side note, which particular branch of medicine do people want to go into after their houseman years? (This isn't just aimed at Renal or whoever - anyone can answer).

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure my Lemsip Max Strength will fight it off.

ReputationRep:
    Nae really keen on getting something that hasn't really been put through all the clinical tests. I don't even mind needles, and I'm not even one of those 'I can't possibly have any vaccinations because then I'd be tainted' freaks.

ReputationRep:
    That's not true at all. They're not vaccinating swine flu, if that is the flu you are referring to. They are discussing whether healthcare professionals should be vaccinated (for obvious reasons) but that is as far as it goes.
    I was referring to seasonal 'flu vaccine, so hold your horses. And the discussions are not only concerning HCPs, but also people in the at risks groups, such as asthmatics, diabetics etc. I'd like to remind you that I work for the company producing the vaccine, and am therefore privvy to all the updates and news releases concerning the manufacture, distribution etc of the vaccine. As it happens, one was released about 20 minutes ago which I just finished reading.

Also, those that know what they are talking about wouldn't get a vaccine for swine flu as there can be serious side effects. Is it really worth it? Not really, is the answer, but you can make up your own mind.
    Those that know what they're talking about know that whilst there is potential for serious adverse reactions to the vaccine, they're limited pretty much to anaphylactic reaction, so that's why anyone allergic to vaccine preservatives or eggs is contraindicated. Is it really worth it? Absolutely, because H1N1 is potentially serious, and the vaccine has a well characterized safety profile.

-- Another point worth noting is that just because you're a junior doctor/medical student, it DOES NOT mean that you know more about swine flu than, as you so put it, 'lay people'. If you're specifically studying that type of medicine then, yes, I suppose you will do. But don't automatically assume that you know more about every type of medicine than everyone else. If you're lucky, you soon will, and I'm sure a lot of those that are junior doctors now, like those on these boards, will soon eclipse us mere mortals in their knowledge. But not entirely yet.
    Well statistically, medics of ANY level are going to know more about it than the average lay person, because they have medical and scientific training. that goes without saying. They can interpret the data, and understand it. whereas the lay person has not had such training, they rely on the media to communicate information to them, and they're notorious for exageration and scare mongering.

--

As a side note: To any one who's concerned about the safety of the vaccine, it may interest you to know that I've had a read of the safety data sheets, and there are no safety issues beyond those already known (i.e. possible allergic reaction etc)

(Original post by mackloud)
    Nae really keen on getting something that hasn't really been put through all the clinical tests. I don't even mind needles, and I'm not even one of those 'I can't possibly have any vaccinations because then I'd be tainted' freaks.
    Please read the thread. It's under gone exactly the same amount of testing that the seasonal 'flu vaccine that get dished out every single year has.

ReputationRep:
    They're (NHSy types) talking seriously about bringing out the swine flu vaccine - on our local news they're stating that they will be bringing out the vaccine later this year. Which is why I'm seriously considering having it, because it's become a major concern. I have family working for the NHS and they're talking about all these back up plans if there's a major (can't think of the word...pandemic?) hoo ha with this swine flu and if the majority of people take off work to look after family or have swine flu themselves. I mean, I hate listening about the swine flu every day on the news, but if it is going to take over, then it's worth considering getting the vaccine surely?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.