Will you want the swine flu vaccine? watch

• View Poll Results: Vaccine?
    Yes
    63.39%
    No
    36.61%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smile88egc)
    And yet we "waste" taxpayers money giving at risk groups regular flu jabs every winter......
    That was my point. Regular flu jabs are required, swine flu ones are not.

ReputationRep:
    Might as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FyreFight)
    No. It's a complete waste of taxpayer's money to issue it to anyone except the vulnerable.
    No it isn't, do you understand the idea of immunisation in a public health sense?

Second, the other side of it is that H1N1 influenzas are supposed to be more dangerous to healthy people when they cause a massive immune cascade reaction which is often fatal. Swine flu shouldn't be much more dangerous than normal flu to the vulnerable (although statistically it appears this way at the moment) but it's expected to be far more dangerous to the young and the healthy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barça)
    This may be a silly question but here goes. If you've already caught swine flu and fully recovered wouldn't there be no point in having the vaccine? If it is meant to mimic the effects but to less dangerous degree than doesn't a normal infection confer the same immunity?
    Ooo, interesting. Quite possibly yes, however, the quality of immunity
    depends on how structurally similar the virus you contracted first and the virus you are exposed to subsequently are. In practice it's impossible to know this. The key question though is; have you definitely caught swine 'flu and not another strain?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    Swine flu would have to become a lot more dangerous for me to accept a vaccine which hasn't been around long enough for any long term effects to be known.
    This.

I'm sitting back and watching how things play out before I get a rushed vaccine for a pandemic that there's a fair chance some goverment created in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    My body will kill any flu that touches it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jay Deeee)
    Besides, what if the vaccine isn't very good...seeing as it's new, who's to say that won't cause deaths, even after testing...?
    We have been using 'flu vaccines since the 1940's, I'd say it's been pretty well tested...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FoxboroHotTubs:))
    I don't trust new vaccines since I had some odd reaction to the hpv jab.
    And in what way is the 'flu vaccine like the HPV vaccine?

Because they're made differently. They contain different preservatives. They have different side effect profiles.

:no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArchedEdge)
    To be honest, after watching Torchwood last week I'm slightly wary of any vaccines and innoculations :p:
    Ditto

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haveyoumetmissjones)
    I've just got over having swine flu, and it makes you feel a bit rubbish, but in my case it was no worse, if not slightly better than having regular flu, so there isn't really any need for panic.

That said, if I could have chosen not to have it, and if I could to choose to not have it again, I really would!
    Do you understand the 'herald' concept that was seen in 1918 which we are in now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    the mutation will make the vaccine useless anyways.
    :no:

ReputationRep:
    no......i just don't trust governments. I would prefer my body to fight it than to be jabbed with something a scientist has made. I just don't trust them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshua3)
    no......i just don't trust governments. I would prefer my body to fight it than to be jabbed with something a scientist has made. I just don't trust them.
    Damn, you found us out, I'm part of a New World Order injecting you with mind control drugs...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Damn, you found us out, I'm part of a New World Order injecting you with mind control drugs...
    New it all along Reban :p:

Since my recentt MMR Jab, I have believed everything is the world is just and even the Gordon Brown is in fact handsome.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how the situation develops. If it gets a lot worse then I will consider it otherwise probably not.

ReputationRep:
    A vaccine will probably kill more than the actual swine flu does itself!!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    If push comes to shove yes, but I don't really want it atm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessmarisa)
    I'd rather catch it while it is comparatively weak, build up some natural immunity to it, cause that will serve me better when it mutates and i come across it again.

At least that is my understanding of the situation.

I may be wrong :confused:
    Do you even know how a 'vaccine' works?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    The key question though is; have you definitely caught swine 'flu and not another strain?
    This. I would get the vaccine even though there is a possibility that I have already had it. About a week after the news broke, I saw my dad who regularly flies in and out of Mexico and the Southern US states. Within 48 hours of seeing him (him having just come off a flight from California) I had flu for only the second time in my life. I had all the typical flu symptoms. Called the Doc and they said to stay at home unless my fever got worse or I got delirious as they didn't want me at the surgery or A&E. Said to follow normal virus recommendations - fluids and bedrest. I did, I got better. No different to the flu I had previously (apart from much less vomiting), lasted for a week and half and then better.

But all the above is coincidence. How do I know it was swine flu and not some other strain? I also read about the immune cascade reaction thing and how young and healthy folk may be hit more than with other flu's and that's what gives it such potential for pandemic status.

Without a doubt will I get the vaccine. You would be daft not to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Do you even know how a 'vaccine' works?
    Of course he doesn't, didn't stop any of the other amateur immunologists through does it.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.