Will you want the swine flu vaccine? Watch

• View Poll Results: Vaccine?
    Yes
    63.39%
    No
    36.61%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by God of War)
    A vaccine will probably kill more than the actual swine flu does itself!!! :rolleyes:
    Go on clever clogs; what's the flu vaccine mortality rate? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I don't really mind, I suppose it would be quite nice if the mortality rate goes up or it mutates into a zombie killing virus.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I want it, definitely!

(Original post by Renal)
    Do you understand the 'herald' concept that was seen in 1918 which we are in now?
    What is that?

ReputationRep:
    In 2.5 months it's caused 421 deaths; I'm not that worried. It'll get worse in Winter, might mutate, and it's fast-spreading, but it's currently no more harmful than seasonal flu; we're just less immune to it.

I'd probably get the jab anyway, but only after many others have had it so I can see any immediate side-effects and make a more justified decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howells)
    I don't do vaccines.
    You "don't do" vaccines? That's just silly. All it means is that at some point you will get the flu/disease that you decided to not be vacinated against. In turn, that costs you time or if you are employment costs the employer, which just means that you are being a drain on resources... never good in a recession.

You might think it extreme, but I liken those who don't take vaccines when they are offered to those lay abouts who sign on for benefits and don't ever sign off!

I hope you aren't waiting for the herd effect (aka herd immunity) to protect you - it almost never works and requires 80 - 90% of the population to have had the vaccine.

ReputationRep:
    I would have it, but I'm still a bit sceptical about the government's claim that there will be "100,000 new cases a day by the end of August" - so by their reckoning a small city such as Portsmouth (population approx. 200,000) will become completely infected in the space of two days - whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    Yeah I want it, definitely!

What is that?
    The 1918 Spanish 'flu pandemic was proceeded by a period of increased 'flu incidence around the world in spring and summer but no specific increased mortality, this lead to lots of idiots who could tell a orthomyxoviridae from an orthopaedic surgeon saying that everything was fine and that they'd be all right . It was only that autumn and winter that the mortality rate, particularly among the young and healthy, shot up. It's predicted (well, suggested/feared/etc., there's some significant debate) that something similar will accompany the next (i.e. current) influenza pandemic.

ReputationRep:
    It's really surprising how many people on this thread are saying they never have vaccines. I wouldn't have thought so many people had developed these principles and pledged to stick by them since age 1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    The 1918 Spanish 'flu pandemic was proceeded by a period of increased 'flu incidence around the world in spring and summer but no specific increased mortality, this lead to lots of idiots who could tell a orthomyxoviridae from an orthopaedic surgeon saying that everything was fine and that they'd be all right . It was only that autumn and winter that the mortality rate, particularly among the young and healthy, shot up. It's predicted (well, suggested/feared/etc., there's some significant debate) that something similar will accompany the next influenza pandemic.
    :afraid: Oh I see, thanks. Whyyyyyyyy do people want to turn a vaccine down?! I certainly won't be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TJH89)
    I'm still a bit sceptical about the government's claim that there will be "100,000 new cases a day by the end of August" - so by their reckoning a small city such as Portsmouth (population approx. 200,000) will become completely infected in the space of two days - whatever.
    After all, when they said 100k new cases a day, they were obviously talking just about Portsmouth and not the whole of the UK. :dry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TJH89)
    I would have it, but I'm still a bit sceptical about the government's claim that there will be "100,000 new cases a day by the end of August" - so by their reckoning a small city such as Portsmouth (population approx. 200,000) will become completely infected in the space of two days - whatever.
    Were every 'fail' a monument, yours would be Babel Tower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    After all, when they said 100k new cases a day, they were obviously talking just about Portsmouth and not the whole of the UK. :dry:
    I gave it as an example...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TJH89)
    I gave it as an example...
    It was a remarkably stupid example.

ReputationRep:
    I would get the vaccine, I don't see why not. It would be stupid to turn down a vaccine that doesn't just protect your health but possibly the health of those around you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Damn, you found us out, I'm part of a New World Order injecting you with mind control drugs...

lol.......well? What about Sars!

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably have it, mainly because I'm diabetic so am in the 'vulnerable' category for normal flu and have that vaccine every year anyway. One more injection isn't a big deal for me seeing as I've had a minimum of 2 every day for almost 8 years anyway :-( Bit concerned about possible side effects though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshua3)
    lol.......well? What about Sars!
    Well? What about SARS?

Are you going to tell me that was made in a secret lab in the middle of Utah for the purposes of controlling farmers in China?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyMiner)
    You "don't do" vaccines? That's just silly. All it means is that at some point you will get the flu/disease that you decided to not be vacinated against. In turn, that costs you time or if you are employment costs the employer, which just means that you are being a drain on resources... never good in a recession.

You might think it extreme, but I liken those who don't take vaccines when they are offered to those lay abouts who sign on for benefits and don't ever sign off!

I hope you aren't waiting for the herd effect (aka herd immunity) to protect you - it almost never works and requires 80 - 90% of the population to have had the vaccine.
    I've had vaccines that haven't worked: I've had a very poor immune system since birth and I'm just used to getting ill now. I think your analogy is slightly exaggerated.

ReputationRep:
    I'd wait to see what the side-effects are and if it really works. Then I'd definitely take it!

ReputationRep:
    Jesus, I can't believe how many ignorant and/or moronic people there are regarding this issue.

You wouldn't refuse vaccination if you actually understood it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.