Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Vaccine?
    Yes
    63.39%
    No
    36.61%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by God of War)
    A vaccine will probably kill more than the actual swine flu does itself!!! :rolleyes:
    Go on clever clogs; what's the flu vaccine mortality rate? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I don't really mind, I suppose it would be quite nice if the mortality rate goes up or it mutates into a zombie killing virus.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I want it, definitely!

(Original post by Renal)
    Do you understand the 'herald' concept that was seen in 1918 which we are in now?
    What is that?

ReputationRep:
    In 2.5 months it's caused 421 deaths; I'm not that worried. It'll get worse in Winter, might mutate, and it's fast-spreading, but it's currently no more harmful than seasonal flu; we're just less immune to it.

I'd probably get the jab anyway, but only after many others have had it so I can see any immediate side-effects and make a more justified decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howells)
    I don't do vaccines.
    You "don't do" vaccines? That's just silly. All it means is that at some point you will get the flu/disease that you decided to not be vacinated against. In turn, that costs you time or if you are employment costs the employer, which just means that you are being a drain on resources... never good in a recession.

You might think it extreme, but I liken those who don't take vaccines when they are offered to those lay abouts who sign on for benefits and don't ever sign off!

I hope you aren't waiting for the herd effect (aka herd immunity) to protect you - it almost never works and requires 80 - 90% of the population to have had the vaccine.

ReputationRep:
    I would have it, but I'm still a bit sceptical about the government's claim that there will be "100,000 new cases a day by the end of August" - so by their reckoning a small city such as Portsmouth (population approx. 200,000) will become completely infected in the space of two days - whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    Yeah I want it, definitely!

What is that?
    The 1918 Spanish 'flu pandemic was proceeded by a period of increased 'flu incidence around the world in spring and summer but no specific increased mortality, this lead to lots of idiots who could tell a orthomyxoviridae from an orthopaedic surgeon saying that everything was fine and that they'd be all right . It was only that autumn and winter that the mortality rate, particularly among the young and healthy, shot up. It's predicted (well, suggested/feared/etc., there's some significant debate) that something similar will accompany the next (i.e. current) influenza pandemic.

ReputationRep:
    It's really surprising how many people on this thread are saying they never have vaccines. I wouldn't have thought so many people had developed these principles and pledged to stick by them since age 1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    The 1918 Spanish 'flu pandemic was proceeded by a period of increased 'flu incidence around the world in spring and summer but no specific increased mortality, this lead to lots of idiots who could tell a orthomyxoviridae from an orthopaedic surgeon saying that everything was fine and that they'd be all right . It was only that autumn and winter that the mortality rate, particularly among the young and healthy, shot up. It's predicted (well, suggested/feared/etc., there's some significant debate) that something similar will accompany the next influenza pandemic.
    :afraid: Oh I see, thanks. Whyyyyyyyy do people want to turn a vaccine down?! I certainly won't be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TJH89)
    I'm still a bit sceptical about the government's claim that there will be "100,000 new cases a day by the end of August" - so by their reckoning a small city such as Portsmouth (population approx. 200,000) will become completely infected in the space of two days - whatever.
    After all, when they said 100k new cases a day, they were obviously talking just about Portsmouth and not the whole of the UK. :dry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TJH89)
    I would have it, but I'm still a bit sceptical about the government's claim that there will be "100,000 new cases a day by the end of August" - so by their reckoning a small city such as Portsmouth (population approx. 200,000) will become completely infected in the space of two days - whatever.
    Were every 'fail' a monument, yours would be Babel Tower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    After all, when they said 100k new cases a day, they were obviously talking just about Portsmouth and not the whole of the UK. :dry:
    I gave it as an example...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TJH89)
    I gave it as an example...
    It was a remarkably stupid example.

ReputationRep:
    I would get the vaccine, I don't see why not. It would be stupid to turn down a vaccine that doesn't just protect your health but possibly the health of those around you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Damn, you found us out, I'm part of a New World Order injecting you with mind control drugs...

lol.......well? What about Sars!

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably have it, mainly because I'm diabetic so am in the 'vulnerable' category for normal flu and have that vaccine every year anyway. One more injection isn't a big deal for me seeing as I've had a minimum of 2 every day for almost 8 years anyway :-( Bit concerned about possible side effects though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshua3)
    lol.......well? What about Sars!
    Well? What about SARS?

Are you going to tell me that was made in a secret lab in the middle of Utah for the purposes of controlling farmers in China?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyMiner)
    You "don't do" vaccines? That's just silly. All it means is that at some point you will get the flu/disease that you decided to not be vacinated against. In turn, that costs you time or if you are employment costs the employer, which just means that you are being a drain on resources... never good in a recession.

You might think it extreme, but I liken those who don't take vaccines when they are offered to those lay abouts who sign on for benefits and don't ever sign off!

I hope you aren't waiting for the herd effect (aka herd immunity) to protect you - it almost never works and requires 80 - 90% of the population to have had the vaccine.
    I've had vaccines that haven't worked: I've had a very poor immune system since birth and I'm just used to getting ill now. I think your analogy is slightly exaggerated.

ReputationRep:
    I'd wait to see what the side-effects are and if it really works. Then I'd definitely take it!

ReputationRep:
    Jesus, I can't believe how many ignorant and/or moronic people there are regarding this issue.

You wouldn't refuse vaccination if you actually understood it.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.