Will you want the swine flu vaccine? watch

• View Poll Results: Vaccine?
    Yes
    63.39%
    No
    36.61%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taigan)
    I'd wait to see what the side-effects are and if it really works. Then I'd definitely take it!
    Mild swelling and pain around injection site, mild to moderate "cold like symptoms" (e.g. headache, mild temperature), and the possibility of an allergic reaction if you're allergic to eggs or vaccine preservatives. There you go.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely yes.

I have a pre existing condition that entitles me to the annual flu jab. The years I have had the jab, I have survived winter with just a few sniffles. The years I haven't taken the jab, I have been hospitalised (nearly died twice) or been seriously ill in bed for at least four weeks.

Swine flu vaccination could save my life. If you suffer from asthma (even if its mild), anything autoimmune or cardiac vulnerabilities, one little prick (no pun intended) could make a huge difference to your life (whether you survive or not)

Also healthy people who have just a cold or a different infection are at serious risk too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshua3)
    I don't get why peeps find it so hard to accept something backed up by evidence just because it challenges their view of life. I too don't want to believe all this stuff people say about NWO but I do believe it when its backed up by reliable evidence, of which some of it is.
    Why do you need the slimmest shred of evidence to believe the conspiracy theory, but conveniently ignore the vast body of evidence against it?

ReputationRep:
    Swine flu scares me so much i want to cry

ReputationRep:
    Of course I will be having the vaccination. it's free, it stops me from dying. No brainer?

ReputationRep:
    No, I would much rather die from Swine Flu.

Why the hell would you not want the vaccination?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Six hundred, out of a hundred thousand - mostly in the USA, Mexico and Argentina? I'm not horrendously scared.
    Thats one in 140 people...I think thats ridiculously high.

ReputationRep:
    I'd wait to see what the side-effects are and if it really works. Then I'd definitely take it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taigan)
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    Mild swelling and pain around injection site, mild to moderate "cold like symptoms" (e.g. headache, mild temperature), and the possibility of an allergic reaction if you're allergic to eggs or vaccine preservatives. There you go.
    Happy? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'd take it.

ReputationRep:
    undecided

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    undecided
    Which paper are you waiting for? Oxford's or Bresee's?

ReputationRep:
    I usually don't bother with the flu jab but my asthma's been quite bad this year so I might as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TJH89)
    I gave it as an example...
    It's an example that doesn't work. It's like saying "the Government says there will be 100k new cases every day, and there's 4 people living in my house, so apparently we're all going to get swine flu tomorrow".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Ooo, interesting. Quite possibly yes, however, the quality of immunity
    depends on how structurally similar the virus you contracted first and the virus you are exposed to subsequently are. In practice it's impossible to know this. The key question though is; have you definitely caught swine 'flu and not another strain?
    My moms a nurse and works with disabled children. One of the children she worked with was tested positive for swine flu and my mum had to get checked as she displayed the symptoms. Next day when the doctors came over my little brother and sister were sick aswell. All three of them had swabs taken. I fall ill the subsequent days. A week or so later the results come back and my mom along with my siblings were positive, I'm guessing I must have had it myself :dontknow:

How structurally different would the vaccine strain be from the normal swine flu strain? Would it contain additional 'parts' to maximise immunity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Which paper are you waiting for? Oxford's or Bresee's?
    I'm waiting to see if the strain in current form starts reliably killing people matching my demographic

ReputationRep:
    I dont have a choice, I have to get it as Im front line staff. However I am not seeing the difference here with the symptoms from seasonal flu. Apart from its not the season for normal Flu... lol Why is it killing people? doesnt normal flu kill?

ReputationRep:
    yeh why not ... once tried and tested

ReputationRep:
    this whole swine flu thing really annoys me. Everytime I sneeze at work I have about 5 colleagues/customers shout "SWINE FLU!". Seriously. btw, I don't actually have swine flu :P

ReputationRep:
    Considering that an otherwise perfectly healthy person just died from it, i think il be getting it

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.