Will you want the swine flu vaccine? Watch

• View Poll Results: Vaccine?
    Yes
    63.39%
    No
    36.61%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    In 2.5 months it's caused 421 deaths; I'm not that worried. It'll get worse in Winter, might mutate, and it's fast-spreading, but it's currently no more harmful than seasonal flu; we're just less immune to it.

I'd probably get the jab anyway, but only after many others have had it so I can see any immediate side-effects and make a more justified decision.
    exactly this.
    the media hype has just blown the whole thing out of proportion.... more people have died of the flu than swine flu.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tink12)
    this whole swine flu thing really annoys me. Everytime I sneeze at work I have about 5 colleagues/customers shout "SWINE FLU!". Seriously. btw, I don't actually have swine flu :P
    ha ha! In my office when someone sneezed the other day I said swine flu and he said "yeah do you want a hug!" ha ha ha how funny!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaylei)
    ha ha! In my office when someone sneezed the other day I said swine flu and he said "yeah do you want a hug!" ha ha ha how funny!
    haha, I might try that next time, might shut them up :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tink12)
    haha, I might try that next time, might shut them up :p:
    it worked it shut me up! ha ha!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    Thats one in 140 people...I think thats ridiculously high.
    One in 140 people who get it, but we've only had a few thousand confirmed cases in the UK. That's still a significant number of people, but not enough to make me worried I'm going to die.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, what is the harm in it? If it means i dont get swine flu then its all good.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why not.

And I just have to say, there are some utter morons on this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Not really, The majority who have died have had underlying health problems anyway. Not saying that no perfectly healthy people haven't died because some have.
    But either way it's still overhyped, there are more serious illnesses/diseases out there, that you'd rather be immunised against.

I know like two people who have it, and one of them has already recovered within a short space of time.

ReputationRep:
    Might as well in case it turns out I have underlying health conditions I don't know about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikipip)
    I think I'll wait a while to see if it is 100% safe etc. and then yes. I am too busy to catch the flu.
    It's the same as seasonal 'flu vaccine, and that has an excellent safety profile. People who are questioning it's safety don't understand vaccines it seems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    It's the same as seasonal 'flu vaccine, and that has an excellent safety profile. People who are questioning it's safety don't understand vaccines it seems.
    these was a vaccine in the 1970 that killed more people, then the flu did

i think that was a swine out brake as well

wash your hands. Try to stay in good general health. Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat nutritious food. Try not touch surfaces that may be contaminated with the flu virus. Avoid close contact with people who are sick

are your normal rules to avoid it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    And in what way is the 'flu vaccine like the HPV vaccine?

Because they're made differently. They contain different preservatives. They have different side effect profiles.

:no:
    Maybe so. But when I was given the HPV vaccine I asked about side effects and was told that side effects were a rash, sickness, and obviously some people might go into shock. I nearly fainted half an hour later and felt very dizzy for weeks. It appeared to mess up my vision a bit too. Just saying that it is similar in that it is a new vaccine and they won't know all of the side effects and reactions so I'd rather go without it than experience that again!

ReputationRep:
    Just saying that it is similar in that it is a new vaccine and they won't know all of the side effects and reactions
    It's what? New? Nearly 90 years old actually...

(Original post by FoxboroHotTubs:))
    But when I was given the HPV vaccine...
    The HPV vaccine (which one?) is different. Because they're made differently. They contain different preservatives. They have different side effect profiles.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe so. But when I was given the HPV vaccine I asked about side effects and was told that side effects were a rash, sickness, and obviously some people might go into shock. I nearly fainted half an hour later and felt very dizzy for weeks. It appeared to mess up my vision a bit too. Just saying that it is similar in that it is a new vaccine and they won't know all of the side effects and reactions so I'd rather go without it than experience that again!
    It's basically identical to the current seasonal 'flu vaccine, just with a different virus strain. The safety profile is extremely good. HPV on the other hand was a completely new vaccine.

(Original post by robinson999)
    x
    I don't know the ins and outs of that incident, but it was a long time ago.
    As for your advice regarding the 'flu, it's more or less correct, if not slightly wishy washy. However, it only takes one infected person to walk past you in the street and sneeze in your face and you could contract it, despite your best efforts, so it doesn't beat vaccination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    It's what? New? Nearly 90 years old actually...

The HPV vaccine (which one?) is different. Because they're made differently. They contain different preservatives. They have different side effect profiles.
    I heard that the swine flu vaccine brought out last time caused quite a few problems. I know I have only 'heard' that - perhaps I shall look into it further.

Maybe so, but can you blame me for being anxious when I've experienced problems in the past?

ReputationRep:
    It's basically identical to the current seasonal 'flu vaccine, just with a different virus strain. The safety profile is extremely good. HPV on the other hand was a completely new vaccine.
    I guess so. I'm just anxious after what happened with the HPV vaccine I guess. :confused:

ReputationRep:

I don't know the ins and outs of that incident, but it was a long time ago.
    As for your advice regarding the 'flu, it's more or less correct, if not slightly wishy washy. However, it only takes one infected person to walk past you in the street and sneeze in your face and you could contract it, despite your best efforts, so it doesn't beat vaccination.
    that is true, only takes one person to do that, sneezing in someone face is a bit rude :p:
    it be better to have a vaccine that is well tested, i've not looked up or heard how much testing has been done yet, to prove it works within 2 months we will know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinson999)
    that is true, only takes one person to do that, sneezing in someone face is a bit rude :p:
    it be better to have a vaccine that is well tested, i've not looked up or heard how much testing has been done yet, to prove it works within 2 months we will know
    It's extremely well tested, it's basically the same thing as the seasonal 'flu vaccine that gets dished out every year

ReputationRep:
    I heard that the swine flu vaccine brought out last time caused quite a few problems. I know I have only 'heard' that - perhaps I shall look into it further.

Maybe so, but can you blame me for being anxious when I've experienced problems in the past?
    if your on about the case in 1976, it killed more people then the flu did, swine deaths in 1976 was just 1, 25 died from pulmonary complications, from GBS, which affected some people who had received swine flu immunizations

ReputationRep:
    It's extremely well tested, it's basically the same thing as the seasonal 'flu vaccine that gets dished out every year
    that works well in some cases, but then some do come down with the flu :p:

but if it works it works, as i say not really look up about what they have done in terms of vaccine, just heard something to do with 1918 and people born then, using them to make it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.