Turn on thread page Beta

Will you want the swine flu vaccine? watch

• View Poll Results: Vaccine?
    Yes
    63.39%
    No
    36.61%

ReputationRep:
    For me it's like this. This vaccine has been rushed into production , it will have life threatening side effects in a minority of people. Swine flu, seems to be slightly milder form of regular flu in the vast vast majority of people who catch it, only one person has died who apparently has no underlying health problems, the rest already have serious illness. And even then he is still be examined as we speak for anything.

Now most people like myself will not be a priority for the vaccination anyways being young and fit which is a good thing because others will get it first and we can see how they react to it. might have it, it really depends on the course of the disease, howmany healthy people die basically. But even then , I have had flu before, it isn't nice but if I was in the first batch of people to have this vaccination I would not have it.

And I also have serious reservations about taking 'tamiflu' which apparently can make some people sicker.You exchange the swine flu symptoms for nausea and vomitting apparently. I might just shut myself away and brave it out, if I get it.

(Original post by Ministerdonut)
    For me it's like this. This vaccine has been rushed into production , it will have life threatening side effects in a minority of people. Swine flu, seems to be slightly milder form of regular flu in the vast vast majority of people who catch it, only one person has died who apparently has no underlying health problems, the rest already have serious illness. And even then he is still be examined as we speak for anything.

Now most people like myself will not be a priority for the vaccination anyways being young and fit which is a good thing because others will get it first and we can see how they react to it. might have it, it really depends on the course of the disease, howmany healthy people die basically. But even then , I have had flu before, it isn't nice but if I was in the first batch of people to have this vaccination I would not have it.

And I also have serious reservations about taking 'tamiflu' which apparently can make some people sicker.You exchange the swine flu symptoms for nausea and vomitting apparently. I might just shut myself away and brave it out, if I get it.
    2 people have now died with no obvious underlying conditions, they are still testing though.

ReputationRep:
    Only if I catch swine fly. And as I've never been ill in my life I pretty confident I won't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)

1. It's not going to have any more side effects than the current seasonal 'flu vaccine, you have to understand that this is not a new product, just an adaptation of the existing one.

2. Good, you shouldn't take Tamiflu or Relenza unless you have complicating factors like asthma, diabetes etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I do.

ReputationRep:
    120 people who want an untested jab which could make them very ill cos they think it will "save" them from swine flu.

Morons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMonarchist)
    120 people who want an untested jab which could make them very ill cos they think it will "save" them from swine flu.

Morons.
    It's no more "untested" than the seasonal 'flu vaccine that gets dished out every single year. Moron.

ReputationRep:
    Errr, do we even know the side effects to the swine flu vaccine???

Just like the MMR jab, there could be adverse effects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    2 people have now died with no obvious underlying conditions, they are still testing though.
    Some people also die from normal flu with no underlying conditions.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind getting the vaccination, afterall prevention is better than cure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yamcha)
    Errr, do we even know the side effects to the swine flu vaccine???

Just like the MMR jab, there could be adverse effects.
    Will you read the ******* thread!

It is the same as the regular seasonal 'flu vaccine that gets updated and dished out every single year, it is not a NEW product.

EDIT: I was half asleep when I typed that, so I missed another crucial point: WTF are you on about MMR for?

(Original post by Fusilero)
    Some people also die from normal flu with no underlying conditions.
    :yep: that too

Something to do with an over reactive immune response to the virus, can't remember what its called now, or if its even the main cause if death from it.

This is what I was told by my biology teacher anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    :yep: that too

Something to do with an over reactive immune response to the virus, can't remember what its called now, or if its even the main cause if death from it.

This is what I was told by my biology teacher anyway
    Cytokine storm, it's why young, fit and healthy people often die from it.

ReputationRep:
    What a bunch of stupid ******* ***** you all are. Clearly, the swine flu vaccine might serve an additional, Darwinian, role this winter. :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    Will you read the ******* thread!

It is the same as the regular seasonal 'flu vaccine that gets updated and dished out every single year, it is not a NEW product.

EDIT: I was half asleep when I typed that, so I missed another crucial point: WTF are you on about MMR for?
    didn't you know? MMR makes everyone autistic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Of course he doesn't, didn't stop any of the other amateur immunologists through does it.
    Note: (extra large for effect)

means I am a "she"

Also to the others who tried to burn me to the ground, I said I maybe wrong, I admitted as much, I was just acting on what my aunt (a nurse) had told me, and someone else made a similar comment to me and didn't get pulled up on it. So :grr:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessmarisa)
    Also to the others who tried to burn me to the ground, I said I maybe wrong, I admitted as much, I was just acting on what my aunt (a nurse) had told me, and someone else made a similar comment to me and didn't get pulled up on it. So :grr:
    :hahaha:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    didn't you know? MMR makes everyone autistic
    Discussions like this on this forum have destroyed my faith in common sense and human intelligence, so I just need to confirm, you aren't being serious here yes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMonarchist)

Morons.
    So are the millions who have the seasonal flu vaccine every year around the world morons to?

Because this is exactly the same thing, but instead is a vaccine produced to combat H1N1 and not the seasonal flu that is doing the rounds.

Personally I don't think I desperately need it, I don't have the seasonal flu vaccine as I'm not an 'at risk' group. But if it's offered I won't refuse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    Discussions like this on this forum have destroyed my faith in common sense and human intelligence, so I just need to confirm, you aren't being serious here yes?
    I can confirm that I am not being serious. The ignorance of the common person, however, is serious.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.