Will you want the swine flu vaccine? watch

• View Poll Results: Vaccine?
    Yes
    63.39%
    No
    36.61%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    I can confirm that I am not being serious. The ignorance of the common person, however, is serious.
    Thank goodness, I was ready to go ballistic! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    It's no more "untested" than the seasonal 'flu vaccine that gets dished out every single year. Moron.

How is the seasonal flu jab untested?
    As you said, it gets dished out every single year.
    Isn´t that tested enough?

Luckily our brave old politicians in Westminister are courageously having the jab a month before the rest of us, just to make sure it´s safe for everybody.
    Let´s hope there´s something wrong with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMonarchist)

Luckily our brave old politicians in Westminister are courageously having the jab a month before the rest of us, just to make sure it´s safe for everybody.
    Let´s hope there´s something wrong with it.
    You idiot, you completely missed my point! I was saying it's undergone exactly the same amount of testing as the seasonal 'flu jab because, get this, it's virtually the same bloody thing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Six hundred, out of a hundred thousand - mostly in the USA, Mexico and Argentina? I'm not horrendously scared.
    And 95% of those who died would have died had they got normal flu or even a bad cold lol.

I'm not so worried either.

ReputationRep:
    The seasonal flu vaccine is changed EVERY YEAR. The flu virus mutates every year, meaning a different vaccine has to be produced in a short period (the same period, or less than whats being given to swine flu vaccine now)

ReputationRep:
    You idiot, you completely missed my point! I was saying it's undergone exactly the same amount of testing as the seasonal 'flu jab because, get this, it's virtually the same bloody thing!

So what´s your position in the health ministry?
    Or are you just believing whatever the press tell you.

If it´s virtually the same thing then why is it taking so long to make?
    But if you want to take an untested vaccine straight away, be my guest, and if you die or end up seriously ill, I´ll know not to have it.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    why wouldn't you get it? its free, not exactly hard to do and prevents you getting ill/small chance of death!

ReputationRep:
    So what´s your position in the health ministry?
    Or are you just believing whatever the press tell you.

If it´s virtually the same thing then why is it taking so long to make?
    But if you want to take an untested vaccine straight away, be my guest, and if you die or end up seriously ill, I´ll know not to have it.
    Thanks.
    I work for the company that's producing the vaccine dumbass. It's taking the same amount of time to make as the seasonal 'flu vaccine. And for the last time, it's not bloody untested!

Its getting so bad that they are thinking of getting all pharmacy staff, and possibly other healthcare workers and professionals to man a telephone systems for diagnosis and supply of tamiflu.

Bloody swine flu. I hope they can get this vaccine out in bulk to the world at the same time. That will stop the spread of it. However I know this is pretty much impossible

ReputationRep:
    It's a conspiracy. What happened in Torchwood is happening :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Well I get the regular flu vaccine so I don't see why I'd say no specially to the Swine Flu one

ReputationRep:
    Its funny how they can get this vaccine out in a matter of weeks. But other drugs may take years.

I know its probably a cost thing but i think more money and research needs to go into producing these drugs faster.

There are probaly drug cures for certain kinds of cancer and other stuff but not enough money is available to make this a reality.

It could improve NHS waiting lists

Well they're now saying that they won't know the full side effects and the addatie of one of the 2 vaccines contains an additive that may cause neuroal problems (but this is just the media hyping it up again I expect :rolleyes:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jun91ist)
    Its funny how they can get this vaccine out in a matter of weeks. But other drugs may take years.

I know its probably a cost thing but i think more money and research needs to go into producing these drugs faster.

There are probaly drug cures for certain kinds of cancer and other stuff but not enough money is available to make this a reality.

It could improve NHS waiting lists
    Well done, you've just demonstrated that you know nothing about vaccines. Think about the seasonal 'flu vaccine. It gets changed every single year to provide immunity to the next strain of influenza. That's a few months of viral sequencing, research and development, then the rest of the year is spent manufacturing the vaccine.

It's exactly the same case here. It's not a brand new vaccine, it's just an updated 'flu shot, just like the seasonal one that gets changed and churned out every single year.

As for "there are probably drug cures for cancer etc but not enough money" that's just not true. There are literally hundreds of millions of pounds being poured into drug research, but creating a brand new drug from scratch takes years, sometimes decades to do, whereas simply updating a vaccine for a new strain of an old virus only takes a few months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    Well they're now saying that they won't know the full side effects and the addatie of one of the 2 vaccines contains an additive that may cause neuroal problems (but this is just the media hyping it up again I expect :rolleyes:)
    The GSK produced vaccine contains one of their proprietary adjuvant systems, and is fully approved by the FDA and MHRA.

The GSK produced vaccine contains one of their proprietary adjuvant systems, and is fully approved by the FDA and MHRA.
    Just the media then :p:

As I expected

ReputationRep:
    Basically yep :p: They don't seem to be able to resist a good scare story hehe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Can I hold you to that...
    Yes hold me to that. I've just spent 3 days being glad that I dont start work until monday- flu isnt fun. But seriously like hell is swine flu any worse than normal flu! Its just like "man flu" in the winter when really its just a cold. People will get over the whole hype sooner or later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dystopiacalls)
    But seriously like hell is swine flu any worse than normal flu!
    Do you want to go away, look up the predictions and models from WHO & CDC and get back to me.

ReputationRep:
    Deffo, considering i have a weakend immune system

I should really start taking my penicillin

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.