Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Equal rights for Northerners: Harriet Harman pushes anti-discrimination plans! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am a northerner, and this makes me want to vote Tory even more.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    True diversity obviously depends on location, rather than skills.

(Let's see if I can make a post on General Discussion today without being warned for it) :rolleyes:

I hesitate to say this because of the abuse i'll likely get, but here goes!

I think the main reason so many are so critical is because Labour have lost all credibility. I wager there'd be far fewer criticism, far more "let's give them the benefit of the doubt guys" defenses were this being debated two years ago. Infact, i think the reason so many people are going "i'm going to vote Tory!" is because they've forgotten how totally devoid of credibility the Tories were by the time they finished their tenure in office.

It's ironic how Labour promised change and ended up doing exactly the same things as the Tories.

Politics, eh? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Wow she wants people to have equal opportunities how evil!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgecopter)
    At the detriment of others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgecopter)
    Yes because implementing heavy handed laws that legally discriminate against certain people = equal opportunities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    Taxation.
    sounds about right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    I'm northern... did you not gather? I think she has a good point that most bodies which to an extent dictate our lives are very London-centric. Ensuring a broader base of members would ensure a base of opinion which is more reflective of the UK as a whole.
    That's because all the talent is down in London , most of you lot are idiots.

ReputationRep:
    That women is a joke. Another labour proposal that will harm bristish business.

ReputationRep:
    i am fully northern almost to the point of inbreeding (my entire family can be traced back 5 generations to bolton/wigan) but i think this is stupid.
    i don't care. jokes about the north amuse me greatly and this is just harriet harman trying to get votes from the north, when most of us (i think) dont really give a *****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    That's because all the talent is down in London , most of you lot are idiots.
    Maybe somebody as evidently idiotic as you should come up north and live amongst us idiots.

ReputationRep:
    Pathetic attempt to get Northern voters.

ReputationRep:
    What a terrible attempt at trying to win votes from northerners. I guess Labour are getting panicky.

I'm a northerner, and the only thing that is really lacking in the north is good jobs. Sure, there are retail jobs and call centre jobs, but if you want a decent graduate professional job, you generally need to head further south, as employment prospects for graduates or professionals aren't great up north.

ReputationRep:
    How ridiculous. It's obvious Labour are just ******** themselves because they lost so many votes up North, so they think they need to bribe people back with meaningless crap like this.

London is the centre of UK government and business, of course the best jobs are there. If people want the jobs in London, then they need to live within a commutable distance of their office. I know plenty of Northerners who work in London, there isn't discrimination against Northerners as a whole. If Northerners are willing to live a reasonable distance from London, they can have the brilliant jobs there. If they aren't willing to move, then they can't have them. That isn't discrimination, it's practicality and common sense.

What does she want to do, move London to the Midlands? This is like complaining that people from Devon who want to work in Manchester are being discriminated against because they can't move Manchester further South. The only people being "discriminated" against are Northerners who won't move to London, and I don't see that as discrimination at all.

I think the issue that needs tackling here, if any at all, is the fact that London has become a black hole for good jobs. Maybe the government should focus on making other large cities more able to compete with London, then Northerners and Southerners alike could have the jobs they want without being forced to relocate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    If you got sacked or not allowed to get a job for being small/having ginger hair/being Northern or anything else, you'd be pretty cross. But the fact is there is nothing you can do about it. Someone got sacked from their job at a bakery for being too small, without any particular reason for having to be tall in the job, and yesterday asked in the law forum what she could do. Unfortunately, the answer was "nothing". This is the reality of the situation.

Its a perfectly reasonable thing to look at. Why should the entire civil service be dominated by people from the South? This isn't even a law, its more along the lines of guidelines as to how public bodies employ people. The public sector should employ a range of people that is representative of the public it services.
    naaah how about best person for the job? :rolleyes:

[iam a 'northerner']

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeterMcPete)
    The best person for the job now is an old,fat, black, one-legged, northern lesbian. /rant
    So Norma from shameless if you cut one of her legs off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackpoolCraig)
    I am a northerner, and this makes me want to vote Tory even more.
    Do it, Do it

ReputationRep:
    If this woman were to suffer a fatal heart attack tomorrow, the world would be a better place.

That is how offensive she is.

ReputationRep:
    Northerners

thats a bit silly though..

ReputationRep:
    I hate Harriet Harman.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.