Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Equal rights for Northerners: Harriet Harman pushes anti-discrimination plans! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'll say it whilst I still can.

******* NORTHERNER
    ******* NORTHERNER
    ******* NORTHERNER
    ******* NORTHERNER
    ******* NORTHERNER
    ******* NORTHERNER
    ******* NORTHERNER
    ******* NORTHERNER

The South will rise again! :mfing:

ReputationRep:
    I would like to introduce a law myself, and that's to stop non-comprehensive schooled and/or Oxbridge educated adults from becoming MPs. Too many of them. I'm sure Harriet Harman agrees...:shifty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    Pathetic attempt to get Northern voters.
    I agree. Just like the whole north east devolution idea. Sorry but County Durham and Northumberland are more different than people realise. It would be like comparing Richmond to Ealing, same sort of area but a very different make-up.

ReputationRep:
    Nice one, 'Arriet. London isn't the world.

ReputationRep:
    Agree with others that say it's less discrimination (Harriet Harman - fail), more the fact that 'quangos' and the government that runs them are very much London-centric. Who gives a **** about how much multinational corporations & foreign diplomats buzz over it/are based there - i.e. London's international standing - when nationally only 12 out of a further 48 million people live there

ReputationRep:
    This is lolworthy in the extreme

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FyreFight)
    If this woman were to suffer a fatal heart attack tomorrow, the world would be a better place.

That is how offensive she is.
    That is vile. What the **** is wrong with you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikdc5)
    That is vile. What the **** is wrong with you?

Name one positive contribution she has made to the country whilst in office. She has and continues to intentionally disadvantage vast swathes of the population, and her continued presence in the cabinet is a blight on British politics.

Whilst I wouldn't wish death on anyone, I certainly wouldn't lament her leaving office via whatever means.

ReputationRep:
    Name one positive contribution she has made to the country whilst in office. She has and continues to intentionally disadvantage vast swathes of the population, and her continued presence in the cabinet is a blight on British politics.

Whilst I wouldn't wish death on anyone, I certainly wouldn't lament her leaving office via whatever means.
    Who is she disadvantaging exactly? And you pretty much did wish death on her. I think you are contriving to find offence in her that isn't really there.

ReputationRep:
    Who is she disadvantaging exactly? And you pretty much did wish death on her. I think you are contriving to find offence in her that isn't really there.
    Most recently, men, although she's made her repugnant views on institutional discrimination toward everything from family units to ethnic groups very well known in the past. It looks like discrimination against people from as arbitrary a distinction as certain geographical locations is next in her long list of people she personally dislikes to enforcedly disadvantage, before her inevitable ousting in the next general election.

There's quite clearly a vast, vast difference between wishing death upon a person and not being sorry that they're gone.

ReputationRep:
    Most recently, men, although she's made her repugnant views on institutional discrimination toward everything from family units to ethnic groups very well known in the past. It looks like discrimination against people from as arbitrary a distinction as certain geographical locations is next in her long list of people she personally dislikes to enforcedly disadvantage, before her inevitable ousting in the next general election.

There's quite clearly a vast, vast difference between wishing death upon a person and not being sorry that they're gone.
    Did you actually read the page you linked? There is no 'vast, vast' difference. Read what you originally said. Be ashamed of yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Did you actually read the page you linked? There is no 'vast, vast' difference. Read what you originally said. Be ashamed of yourself.

Yes, did you? Allowing a company to choose one person on the basis of their gender but not the other is inherently discriminatory - hence it being known as 'positive discrimination'.

I said that if she died of a heart attack tomorrow, the world would be a better place, and I stand by it. This is very different from wanting her to die tomorrow, and I'm amazed that you fail to see the concept.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, did you? Allowing a company to choose one person on the basis of their gender but not the other is inherently discriminatory - hence it being known as 'positive discrimination'.

I said that if she died of a heart attack tomorrow, the world would be a better place, and I stand by it. This is very different from wanting her to die tomorrow, and I'm amazed that you fail to see the concept.
    It is a disgusting thing to say. I'm amazed that you are even pretending it isn't.

Why do you find an equality bill so offensive? There isn't even anything new in it. Woman are discriminated against in the workplace. They are paid less and are poorly represented in high managerial position. If we didn't make an effort to fix that we'd be doing a pretty poor job of moulding society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    I didn't even know Northerners were discriminated against.
    we do, all the time. why just the other day, i was in london and a southerner wouldn't let me sit down on a bus, then i wasn't allowed to go into a shop because of my accent. lol nah, i dont think i have ever heard sush shab. Hearing this stupid woman makes me sad to be a yorkshireman.

ReputationRep:
    The better concern should be...what the hell is a quango?

ReputationRep:
    It is a disgusting thing to say. I'm amazed that you are even pretending it isn't.

Why do you find an equality bill so offensive? There isn't even anything new in it. Woman are discriminated against in the workplace. They are paid less and are poorly represented in high managerial position. If we didn't make an effort to fix that we'd be doing a pretty poor job of moulding society.
    Paid less = childbirth

If they're poorly represented, have you ever thought that for some reason, less women are applying for these positions, or the ones that do apply aren't as well qualified as the men? I'm not saying that's definitely the case, but your definition of "moulding society" seems to be promoting women for the sake of it.

ReputationRep:
    Will this type of ******** never end?

I hate this deluded woman.

I cannot find words to describe my negative feelings towards that woman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devil in Your Details)
    What a terrible attempt at trying to win votes from northerners. I guess Labour are getting panicky.

I'm a northerner, and the only thing that is really lacking in the north is good jobs. Sure, there are retail jobs and call centre jobs, but if you want a decent graduate professional job, you generally need to head further south, as employment prospects for graduates or professionals aren't great up north.
    Erm, exactly. Something does need to be done about the gap in living standards between the north and the south. Why should we (despite not being a northerner, I include myself in this because the same problems exist in my part of the Midlands) have to move to experience the same quality of life as our southern counterparts?

ReputationRep:
    Its not the south, just London. These guys get everything. Football stadiums, Oylmpic Villages...

The new Wembley should have been built in Central England.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.