Turn on thread page Beta

Brothers both have swine flu. :S watch

ReputationRep:
    Confirmed over the phone yesterday with our GP, both of my two brothers have gone down with swine flu. Currently coughing and wheezing in their beds at the moment - and I'm avoiding them like the plague! :woo:

Apparently, they caught it from friends at school (both go to different schools). One's 9, the other's 14.

But should I really be worried about it? You heard about the guy dying the other day (with no underlying health problems) and with all the sensationalist tosh in the news, it's getting me a bit edgy. Are the chances of it getting serious/death likely at all?

Any helpful tips/suggestions/hugs would be much appreciated! :o:

ReputationRep:
    Shoot them.

ReputationRep:
    as long as thye take anti-viral drugs they should be okay and try to keep your distance but tbh, I think you're bound to get it. Don't worry about it, apparently that death was like one in a million. Don't worry

ReputationRep:
    Nah don't worry it, my friend wants to get it now before winter lol. It's not even as bad as regular flu, the problem is if it mutates, that's what they're worried about. You'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    to be truthful its probably better to get it now than later. (best not to get it at all of course) but at least they will be fine if it mutates in the future.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I agree its definitely better to have it now before winter.
    Me and my sister have a cough at the moment but neither of us think its swine flu... just seems exactly like a normal cough.?!
    My aunt has got a mild case of it though as she just rang up to inform us!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Meh, chances are it won't kill any of you. You'll just feel rough for a few days if you get it.

ReputationRep:
    We've only had 1 person in the country die without already having underlying health problems.
    I'm also sure that plenty of people with underlying health problems have contracted the virus and been absolutely fine after a few days.

Try not to worry. I'm sure your brothers will pull through, and even if you do get it, I'm sure you'll be fine too.

It's barely anything different from seasonal flu; it's only really getting the media hype because of its ability to spread (we're more immune to seasonal flu).

ReputationRep:
    Can dogs catch swine flu?

ReputationRep:
    Move out. Seriously, move to a cousin's or something for a while. That's what I'd do anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Just don't worry about it. Completely over hyped by the media.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys - I was panicking for a moment as well! :o:

ReputationRep:
    This irritates me so much. Sure it would be best if you didn't get it (obviously), but at the end of the day it is just a flu. Really not a big deal at all, you will probably only feel bad for like a week. What the media doesn't focus on is that people die from regular influenza all the time, for example in the UK about 3000-4000 people die every year from regular flu and that is with many people who are most at risk being vaccinated.

This is all driving my mum (a GP) insane.

ReputationRep:
    We're all going to get it some time... I guess its better to get it during bad weather...

ReputationRep:
    He was apparently 'middle-aged'. :dontknow:

:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinson999)
    Are the chances of it getting serious/death likely at all? NO

plus that guy that died, we don't know if he was 20 or 80

ReputationRep:
    my sister had it and neither me nor my mum got it, so you might not.

ReputationRep:
    It is less deadly than normal influenza I thought?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cookie Fruit Freak)

middle-aged says a lot :p:

risk with anything, 10,000 dead each year of normal flu

ReputationRep:
    odd, the swine flu over-hyped madness is all but gone in the US (at least where I am). But, no, don't worry about it, it is just another flu

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.